FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Audio: Rapping With Mr. Hippie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Audio: Rapping With Mr. Hippie Reply with quote

Rapping With Mr. Hippie

Conversation with a Counterculture Legend

Special Guest: Stephen Gaskin Joins Fintan Dunne

An iconic counter-cultural hippie leader who co-founded 'The Farm,' a commune in Tennessee,
Gaskin in the Sixties was an academic who held weekly meetings of over 1,000 people discussing
"love, sex, dope, God, gods, war, peace, enlightenment, mind-cop, free will and what-have-you."
In Oct. 1970, he set out in a hippie caravan of hundreds in 50 school buses on a speaking tour
of the US. They ended in Tennessee, where 'The Farm' at its peak had 1,500 members.

Rap Topics Include:

Calamity Expectation... Iraq... Blackwater showdown...
The Farm... Hippie for President... LSD... Agents procateur...
Solving Afghanistan... Drug War... Mayans... Vibes... Tim Leary...
Ken Kesey... Fixing the Government Mess... Hippies of Islam...
Monday Night Class... Instant Gestalt... The Art of Change...
Death Penalty for Corporations... Sanity to the Manifestation.

DSL Mp3 Audio
http://www.breakfornews.com/audio/NextLevel070511a.mp3

Dialup Mp3 Audio
http://www.breakfornews.com/audio/NextLevel070511.mp3

Quote:
REFERENCES & LINKS

Guest Websites:

http://www.stephengaskin.com

http://www.thefarm.org/

Biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Gaskin
Erowid on Gaskin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farm_%28Tennessee%29

Quote:

Sex, Drugs, and Soybeans

In 1970, pot-smoking guru Stephen Gaskin, a former U.S. Marine, led his band of acolytes on a mystic trip out of San Francisco and into the American heartland. But a funny thing happened on the way to enlightenment: Gaskin's hippies learned the ancient virtues of hard work, good hygiene, and crop rotation. Deep in the Tennessee woods, they formed a spiritual commune called The Farm, which has morphed over its 36 years into a high-tech eco–think tank.

Vanity Fair by Jim Windolf VF.COM April 5, 2007

The cultural cliché has it that the flower children danced at Woodstock, crashed at Altamont, and gradually shed their naïve ideals as they made themselves into ice-cream moguls, media magnates, and triangulating politicians. But the 200 people who live at the Farm—a 1,750-acre spread in the heart of Tennessee—have managed to hang on to the hippie spirit. It isn't like they sit around talking about peace and love all the time, and hugging one another, and meditating, and eating tofu, and drinking soy coffee, and smoking weed, and criticizing the government, and making hopelessly earnest remarks—well, actually, it is like that, come to think of it. Farm residents do all that stuff, as I learned only too well during my four-day visit, this past January. But the Farm isn't where you go to dream your life away in a 1960s-besotted haze. The place is active, fully engaged with the world. And it has a strong backbone in the form of 10 nonprofit companies and 20 private businesses.

Unlike the rest of us slobs, who sleepwalk through the workweek only to collapse at Friday's finish line, the people at the Farm haven't given up on the half-forgotten, laughable-seeming notion of making the world a better place. They have energy and enthusiasm. They take long hikes, they chop wood, and they actually bother to take part in marches against the war. They build their own photovoltaic solar panels, they grow tomatoes in backyard gardens, and they try not to be grouchy with one another. After dinner, when it's time to wash the pots and pans, they don't make a huge deal out of it by running the water full blast while listening to loud music, the way I do at home. For Farmies (as they sometimes call themselves), doing the dishes can be a meditative act involving a few inches of hot water at the bottom of the sink basin and some light splashing with a squirt or two of a non-petroleum-derived soap. They're making a constant and conscious effort, in other words, to live without harming other people, animals, or the planet. So it's not just some goofy lifestyle thing.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/05/thefarm200705?currentPage=1

Quote:
Communal Living in the Late 60s and Early 70s

Rachel Meunier, Human Issues Project

(Rachel Meunier grew up in The Farm)

Intent: To better understand some of the reasons behind the movement toward communal living during the late 1960s and early 1970s and some of the purposes for this social reconstruction.

What usually comes to mind when thinking about the concept of a "commune"? More often then not images such as drugs and free love associated with the 1960s are visualized. In actuality, communes have existed since history has been recorded. For example, the Puritans who settled in the Massachusetts Bay Colony may have been one of the first utopian communities in the United States. In the late 1960s more than 2,000 communes were formed in the United States.

Although I grew up on a commune I was never sure what exactly a commune was defined as, I only knew what it was like to live on a commune. When I left the commune at twelve years old, the reaction I got from others astounded me. Either people asked if I was a "commie," or thought I belonged to a "cult." If the subject comes up today, many people simply assume I believe in "free love" or think my parents take drugs.

http://www.thefarm.org/lifestyle/cmnl.html

Last edited by Fintan on Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
atm

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted, as requested, the 'new' word 'scaggle'. Gaskin's been beaten to it. Kathy will not approve:

Quote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=scaggle

scaggle

The nastiest pussy of all time.

I wouldn't touch that damn scaggle, I mean pussy is pussy but a coral reef is a coral reef and that aint no pussy its a coral reef.

Or it could be an acronym:

SCGAEL: Scottish Gaelic

Great conversation, BTW. You should try and get Howard Bloom on, Fintan. He used to be an editor for Rolling Stone magazine before going all intellectual with his superorganism theory and other Next Level stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Bloom

http://www.bookworld.com/lucifer/

Funny the lack of posts about this audio. It wouldn't be anything to do with that absurd chemflame war, would it? Laughing

atm Idea
atm

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double posted in error. Where's that delete button gone dude?

BTW Ian Punnett has already interviewed Howard Bloom on Coast to Coast . Don't let that put you off.

atm Cool

Last edited by atm on Sat May 12, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ormond

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Funny the lack of posts about this audio. It wouldn't be anything to do with that absurd chemflame war, would it?

Hi ATM. yep, I think that flamewar needs an exit strategy. I say we should withdraw the troops! To paraphrase Lennon, "What if they gave a flamewar and nobody came?"

Mr. Gaskin has a great idea concerning Capitol Punishment for Corporate Entities (Golems and egragores).

I propose that convicted corporation such as ENRON may be dispensed with in a televised event, in a venue such as the Burning Man Festival.

atm

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed a dictionary for this one, Ormond. For those that don't know:

golem [goh-luhm, -lem]

1. Jewish Folklore. a figure artificially constructed in the form of a human being and endowed with life.
2. a stupid and clumsy person; blockhead.
3. an automaton.

Egregore (also "egregor")

An occult concept representing a "thought form" or "collective group mind", an autonomous psychic entity made up of, and influencing, the thoughts of a group of people. The symbiotic relationship between an egregore and its group has been compared to the more recent, non-occult concepts of the corporation (as a legal entity) and the meme.

What a learning curve we have going on here. Good stuff.

I'd never heard of the Burning Man Festival until now. Sounds cool:

http://www.culturekiosque.com/nouveau/comment/burning_man.html

though I think said corporate entities will self implode of their own accord anytime soon. Those bubbles are ready to burst, big time. It might even be televised (apologies to Gil Scott Heron).

atm Cool
coalraker

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: into the sun Reply with quote

WOW what a great show Fintan! lol some good ideas. Hope to meet Stephen at the farm.

I didnt know this was a corporate logo.
paradox

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the ratings the decapitation of a corporate giant would get in the mass media.

We'd have to spin it as a form of public entertainment, maybe with American Gladiators types pummeling the now shamed board of directors. Pits of non poisonous scorpion would await those who fall from the Joust. Thousands of irate customers could be invited as guests. Heck, since sleep deprivation is not torture, maybe they would enjoy a new reality show, wherein each contestant, sorry top executive is carefully monitored before they turn completely flippant.

Or maybe just burning a piece of paper with all the company's assets on there. Tough call.

Otherwise Fintan great, great show. I would hope you'll be able to get a better line connection next time you connect, 'cause there where a few times I was elongating quite far my ears to grasp all that was said.
________
no2 review

Last edited by paradox on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janama

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Otherwise Fintan great, great show. I would hope you'll be able to get a better line connection next time you connect, 'cause there where a few times I was elongating quite far my ears to grasp all that was said.

Fintan - have you tried using Pamela - skype's recorder??

I loved the bit where he suggested that the current admin was too stupid to pull off 9/11 Wink
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
paradox: Or maybe just burning a piece of paper with all the company's assets on there. Tough call.

ROTFLMAO Smile

My favorite is Stephen's idea of legalizing hash and giving the Afghans
a contract to supply it instead of growing poppies. Presto! Two problems
solved at one go!

About the audio quality - it's down to the type of phone receiver the guest
has and the same would apply to the quality of their Skype mike and
the reliability of the Skype connection. A top-end radio station telephone
line deck could improve phone audio quality. Waiting for it to start
raining dollars and I'll get one... Wink

Quote:
atm: You should try and get Howard Bloom on, Fintan.

Yeah, I'll check him out. All suggestions welcome.
Ormond

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Buckley speak on the success of the Netherlands rejection of the Convention on Narcotic Drugs, 1961 international treaty (led by pressure from the US, Britain, and France). The Dutch went along until the expense of sustaining program prosecuting and imprisoning too much of the productive Dutch population was untenable in that country. The Dutch parliament saw more advantage legalization - and more revenue in taxes, rather than expenditure on enforcement.

They reasoned also that criminalizing all recreational drugs forced those looking for black market hash and marijuana into a world of criminal drug dealers pushing heroin and speed. Sure enough, after legalization, the heroin and speed addict figures in Holland plummeted. The United States has yet to follow suit.

The National Review: Free Weeds. The Marijuana Debate. ~ William F. Buckley Jr. June 2004

Cost of the War on Drugs to the United States deficit

atm

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right again, Ormond. There is or was a park in Amsterdam where heroin users can or could freely jack up without police interference. Clean sryinges and HIV tests are / were cost free, provided by the local government and drug charities.

Sure, coke, E's, meth and smack are widely available in Holland; it's illegal but it's tolerated by the cops so long as it's for personal use, as far as I'm aware (it's been a while since my last visit). But the majority of Dutch who want to get high (a minority BTW) simply opt for hydroponic super skunk and a cafe latte. And they still hold down executive careers at ABM Amro!

Now that's progressive.

As an aside, Gaskin in his book 'This Season's People' refers to "...gestalt flashes...". Fintan paraphrased this as "...going with initial instinct and response: preverbal communication...". Malcolm Gladwell in his latest book 'Blink' goes into wonderful detail about the mechanics of the power of unconscious thought: 'the power of thinking without thinking' is the subtitle, if my memory serves me correctly.

Well worth a read, IMHO.

atm Cool
Wu Li

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this forum.(and all of your input)
It's no doubt the best I have been on in my meanderings through the WWW for the last couple of years. I would bet on the vibe every time.
What a jewel in the Ruff.

ONE Hopefully quick story

I started making music at about 15-16 what I thought was professionally. I started with what I enjoyed most which was electronics. By 1990 I had many underground recording releases coming out and was well into "The Vibe"
I kinda stepped into the underground RAVE scene by mere chance because I had a studio here in Brooklyn that became a small home for many within NYC to record there Techno/Trance/House TRAX.(I am well aware of "Burning Man" and may I add there have been many beautiful events over the last 15 or so years) Through this I was Blessed to meet so many people from around the world which gave me an ability to understand many cultural differences but also the quality of Human behavior in respect to our likeness.
Most within the movement of the underground scene at that time were extremely intrigued with the fact that you can have a party of which 500/1000/5000/20000 people would show up and all have that "VIBE", that love of ourselves as Humans(and our celebration of living) and get along until the sun would rise.
As things would turn out this "Vibe" as in the movement Mr. Gaskin and Fintan were speaking of have many parallels.
Agent Provocateurs stepping in and poisoning the very essence of the creation. Drugs became prevalent and the thought or Love was lost to Wall Flowers sitting around more concerned with the drug and the selfishness then the actual experience of love or oneness. A purposefull event takes place where groups of individuals congregating for a celebratory purpose seems to become to powerfull for any power structure to handle. May it be forbidden that people may come together for any benevolent or peacefull cause. (MUCH has been missed and bypassed within the RAVE movement for this very reason) Most discounted it merely because they disliked the music, But did any older generation appreciate the younger music of their time. I feel as if a generation below me have been cast to obscurity. I gave one such younger person my "A" room in my apartment in my apartment where I allow here to create at will for the last 5 years as I work off my penance.
I have seen this destruction of wills and love first hand and I will tell you many of the people involved with performing this task were very scarey people.
I have many stories since I have always been around many DJ's and Musicians who tried to fight the negativity but were beaten into submission(Metaphorically speaking).
Anyway, I hope we all understand that uplifting the younger generations should be a calling for all involved. I may some day start to make music again but it will only be when I feel satisfied that we can move together in Love as an essence of our individual beauty. NOW I only see sycophants and provocateurs.

Anyway I can relate to this discussion in so many ways.
Glad to hear a story which is so close to my thoughts.
Thank You Guys
Best Regards.
Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: