Big Brother's new toy (11 total)

News & Views on All Topics
DrewTerry

Big Brother's new toy:
Another bloated gas bag watching you from the sky

2006-05-30
By James Renner
Cleveland Free Times

Last week, a fire ignited at the Akron Airdock that once housed a fleet of Goodyear blimps. Firemen rushed to the 211-foot-tall structure and quickly doused the flames.

Reporters and photographers descended on the landmark. Many were surprised to learn the blimps were no longer being stored there.

Turns out Lockheed Martin -- the company that gave us the Trident intercontinental ballistic missile -- was renovating the site for an upcoming project when the fire started. It's being turned into a hangar for a prototype airship.

If you're frightened of this administration's habit of spying on American citizens, you may want to stop reading.

The prototype is called the High Altitude Airship, or HAA. Lockheed Martin Maritime Systems & Sensors in Akron won the $40 million contract from the Missile Defense Agency to build HAA in 2003.

It is essentially another blimp. A giant one. Seventeen times the size of the Goodyear dirigible. It's designed to float 12 miles above the earth, far above planes and weather systems.

It will be powered by solar energy, and will stay in a geocentric orbit for up to a year, undetectable by ground-based radar.

You can't see it from the ground. But it can see you.

"The possibilities are endless for homeland security," says Kate Dunlap, a Lockheed Martin spokesperson. "It could house cameras, and other surveillance equipment. It would be an eye in the sky."

According to a summary released by the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command, the HAA can watch over a circle of countryside 600 miles in diameter. That's everything between Toledo and New York City.

And they want to build 11. With high-res cameras, that could mean constant surveillance of every square inch of American soil.

"If you had a fleet of them, this could be used for border surveillance," suggests Dunlap.

Launch date: 2009.

Of course, mimicking its defense of warrantless wiretapping and phone-log data mining, the government maintains it only wants to protect its citizens from external threats. But as any geek can tell you, blimps were ubiquitous in The Watchmen, the seminal '80s graphic novel in which heroes have been driven underground and Nixon is still president.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching you.

http://athensnews.com/issue/article.php3?story_id=25082

FREEDOM IS PARANOIA
TYRRANY IS CONSCIOUSNESS
TORTURE IS AWARENESS

• Awareness is secondary to consciousness;
• Consciousness is secondary to paranoia;
• Paranoia is primary; prevents secondary functioning.

WHO CONTROLS PROPAGANDA
CONTROLS PARANOIA

WHO CONTROLS PARANOIA
CONTROLS CONSCIOUSNESS

WHO CONTROLS CONSCIOUSNESS
CONTROLS A MIRROR IMAGE OF ONE

WHO CONTROLS A MIRROR IMAGE
TORTURES SELF in UNAWARENESS
dilbert_g

OMG, I'm in Akron and I didn't even see this in the news. How did you find this shit. However, others will now. Right on schedule, huh?
Rumpl4skn

Wow, man! So, if we like, protest against these giant blimps, then they'll have to abandon the program, and then they'll have no way to spy on us anymore!

What a lucky break. Go Democrats!!!!!!

Fire is cool!

"No matter what happens, ever... there's ALWAYS at least one reason. And the top reason is ALWAYS money."
puffdaddy

I was hoping that Thundergirl could make an appearance I miss her. Maybe she could help us out?
Jerry Fletcher

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching you.
And don't think being six years old puts you below suspicion either.

Enter the 'TODDLER TRAC 6000 High Altitude Naptime Surveillance Dirigible.'

Thankfully, now the poopy diaper of even the tiniest terrorist can be pinpointed with playpen accuracy.
Rumpl4skn

Jerry Fletcher wrote:Thankfully, now the poopy diaper of even the tiniest terrorist can be pinpointed with playpen accuracy.
Go ahead and laugh, Jer..... diaper poop happens to be the #3 source of e-coli bacteria. Behind unburied corpses and Popeye's urine.

Not to mention the coming Global Pandemic of Turd Flu.

And just for you JF, some Fart Facts: http://www.smellypoop.com/farts.html
"No matter what happens, ever... there's ALWAYS at least one reason. And the top reason is ALWAYS money."
hawkwind

Thanks Rumpl4skn ... that posted link solves the mystery of chemtrails!
How long does it take fart gas to travel to someone else's nose?
(Question submitted by SteF)

Fart travel time depends on atmospheric conditions such as humidity and wind speed, as well as the distance between the fart transmitter and the fart receiver. Farts also disperse (spread out) as they leave the source, and their potency diminishes with dilution. Generally, if the fart is not detected within a few seconds, it will be too dilute for perception and will be lost into the atmosphere forever.
Exceptional conditions exist when the fart is released into a small enclosed area such as an elevator, a small room, or a car. These conditions limit the amount of dilution possible, and the fart may remain in a smellable concentration for a long period of time, until it condenses on the walls.

What color is a fart?
(Question submitted by Stacey)

Farts are, alas, colorless. All of the gases that make up farts have no inherent color. But just think of how interesting it would be if farts were bright orange like nitrogen dioxide gas! It would certainly take the mystery out of who farted.
Never-the-less, a high-personality gas like fart gas suggests color to people. Some people envision farts as brown, others as green or yellow. I have always thought of farts as brown, presumably because poop is brown. When someone farts in our car, that person might say, "You better not breathe through your mouth for awhile, or your teeth will turn brown."
I knew a toddler who used to draw pictures of farts as yellow rectangles full of holes, like a slice of Swiss cheese. She thought of farts as yellow, and said that she knew they were rectangular because she could feel the sharp corners scraping against her on the way out!

When it is cold outside and you fart, can you see it like you can see your breath?
(Question submitted by Anderson G.)

Now, that's an interesting idea! My guess would be yes, since farts are nice and moist like our breath, but this is one question that I'm not in a position to answer. I live in the tropics, and it never gets cold here. So all of you who live in cold places, try it out and let me know. I'd guess that there are really two questions here: can you see the fart with no pants on, and can you see the fart even with pants on...
And don't tell PF that we found the answer to the chemtrail question! :lol:

- Hawk
"Look up here, I'm in heaven. I've got scars that can't be seen. I've got drama, can't be stolen. Everybody knows me now." - David Bowie