FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
China Lasers US Satellites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: China Lasers US Satellites Reply with quote

Not sure if this is preconditioning, but something is up...

Quote:
Beijing secretly fires lasers to disable US satellites
By Francis Harris in Washington
(Filed: 26/09/2006)

China has secretly fired powerful laser weapons designed to disable American spy satellites by "blinding" their sensitive surveillance devices, it was reported yesterday.

How it works

The hitherto unreported attacks have been kept secret by the Bush administration for fear that it would damage attempts to co-opt China in diplomatic offensives against North Korea and Iran.

Sources told the military affairs publication Defense News that there had been a fierce internal battle within Washington over whether to make the attacks public. In the end, the Pentagon's annual assessment of the growing Chinese military build-up barely mentioned the threat.

"After a contentious debate, the White House directed the Pentagon to limit its concern to one line," Defense News said.

The document said that China could blind American satellites with a ground-based laser firing a beam of light to prevent spy photography as they pass over China.

According to senior American officials: "China not only has the capability, but has exercised it." American satellites like the giant Keyhole craft have come under attack "several times" in recent years.

Although the Chinese tests do not aim to destroy American satellites, the laser attacks could make them useless over Chinese territory.

The American military has been so alarmed by the Chinese activity that it has begun test attacks against its own satellites to determine the severity of the threat.

Satellites are especially vulnerable to attack because they have predetermined orbits, allowing an enemy to know where they will appear.

"The Chinese are very strategically minded and are extremely active in this arena. They really believe all the stuff written in the 1980s about the high frontier," said one senior former Pentagon official.

There has been increasing alarm in parts of the American military establishment over China's growing military ambitions.

Military experts have already noted that Chinese military expenditure is increasingly designed to challenge American military pre-eminence by investing in weaponry that can attack key systems such as aircraft carriers and satellites.

At the same time, China is engaged in a large-scale espionage effort against American high-tech firms working on projects such as the multibillion-pound DD(X) destroyer programme.

Several spy rings have been cracked and the FBI is increasing the number of counter-intelligence staff tracking the Chinese effort.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/26/wchina226.xml

RedMahna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, CNN's Lou Dobbs got in on the action with this one past couple days. He even has mentioned about a plan by the US Admin to create a North American Union (noting that the Whitehouse "claims" it's only re Trade relations). Dobbs has also slipped in a few remarks about our government pulling the plug on the media's normal portraying of the Mideast "wars on terror."
I have to admit, they have pulled Anderson Cooper and Christiane Amanpour out of the hotspots recently... hmmm.
Well, whether CIA fakes or not who are telling us things like these, and showing us the speeches from the UN last week, and "allowing" publication of books like Woodward's... you have to at least feel that the rank & file of America are beginning to listen up and notice the shit is hitting the fan.
I think even some of our whitest of white people are getting tired of hating brown humans, and may be open to handling things differently. Question is... and I'm afraid it may be a race of the clock.... can Americans turn things around in the old pragmatic way, like voting?
Cracks me up... the NY Times has an amusing article concerning the fall of Rome by way of killing its Constitution, and comparing it (rightly so) to that of today's other headline about the detainee laws, and things leading to it and perhaps after it. (Well, it's not really amusing. Just is to me 'cos I'm not sure if it even scratches the surface... or more importantly, quite phases the bastards in office right now, as they either laugh all the way to the bank, or care not to even read it. We know at least one of them can't read.)

MichaelC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one of those lasers to disable the spy satellites that show my house on the Google satellite maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: