FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Bird Flu 2007 - An NWO Production
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Bird Flu 2007 - An NWO Production Reply with quote

A lot of people are by now familiar with the Rumsfeld & Tamiflu motivation for the bird flu hype. But this post from another forum exposes another hidden motive:

Quote:
Amen, Duke, the "Bird Flu Pandemic" is pure, 24-carat bullshit. You are absolutely right, the real motive behind it and the calls for governments to "stockpile" tamiflu is to enrich Big Pharma at taxpayers' expense. The "pandemic" will never happen, the Tamiflu probably wouldn't prevent it anyway, the alleged "disease" has killed fewer than 50 people worldwide. Furthermore, they don't even know that the "virus" killed those people, they just "find" it with their undoubtedly non-specific "tests" and ASSUME it killed the person.

I would love to know if a "bird flu" virus has even been isolated by rigorous isolation protocols. I bet not. Meanwhile, the media scream "deadly virus," "millions of birds have already died" (not mentioning that those millions are dead because they were "culled" at the recommendation of the WHO), millions of chickens have had their lives shortened by being culled, and (another MAJOR motive), governments and the WHO are calling for an end to backyard chicken and duck farming, which is ubiquitous in the Third World and a way for poor people to be self-sufficient.

But WHO and the rest of the "public health" establishment are saying that because of "Bird Flu" this backyard farming must end, and all chickens and ducks must be raised on corporate "factory farms" in tiny cages where they are crammed in with other birds instead of being able to roam free on backyard farms, are shot with carcinogenic antibiotics and hormones to make them grow faster, and live lives of abject misery. And the farmers forbidden to raise them go from being self sufficient to being dependent on the whims of Agribusiness for their livelihoods.

And who benefits from that? Why, "Big Agro" and big pharma which makes the drugs they fill these poor birds with. And who just happens to fund the WHO -- why, Big Pharma and Big Agro, among many other corporate predators.

The leaders of the WHO are criminals against humanity as much as any tyrant who ever walked the earth. So, too, are the leaders of "Big Media" who help them committ their atrocities. One can only hope that someday they will receive the damnation they have earned.
http://groups.msn.com/AIDSMythExposed/general.msnw?

Last edited by Fintan on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Onion should be given a public service award of some kind.

Quote:
Nation's Leading Alarmists Excited About Bird Flu

February 2, 2005 | Issue 41•05

WASHINGTON, DC—The avian influenza virus, a mutant flu strain that has claimed the lives of 31 people in Eastern Asia since it was first observed passing from birds to humans in 1997, has the nation's foremost alarmists extremely agitated.

"Right now, the bird flu is just a blip in the newspapers, but if the avian influenza virus undergoes antigenic shift with a human influenza virus, the resulting subtype could be highly contagious and highly lethal in humans," Matthew Wexler, the president of the National Alarmist Council and one of the nation's leading fear mongers, said Monday. "My professional opinion, and more importantly, my personal belief, is that this is a cause for great national alarm."

Wexler's sentiments were unanimously upheld by members of the alarmist community.

"The bird flu could cause a global influenza pandemic similar to the Spanish Flu that killed more than 20 million people in 1918," medical alarmist Dr. Preston Douglas said. "Many experts also believe a major global flu outbreak to be imminent, if not—God forbid—already underway. Why, recent observation and documentation has recorded at least one case of human-to-human transmission of a rare strain of the avian influenza virus. If this one case is proof that the animal virus is mutating into a contagious, lethal human virus, then the entire world is basically doomed. Doomed!"

Douglas is best known for his brilliant alarmist analyses of flesh-eating bacteria, Ebola, and SARS—all of which he successfully developed into topics of major international trepidation.

Bird flu was first identified as a strain of infectious influenza in Italy in the early 1900s. Of the 15 subtypes, only subtypes H5 and H7 are known to be capable of crossing the species barrier from birds to humans. The first human outbreak, which occurred in Hong Kong in 1997, killed four people. Since then, the bird flu has remained a relatively minor virus, killing fewer individuals than common-cold variants. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have issued neither an epidemic warning nor a public-health alert in connection with bird flu.

According to leading alarmists, the CDC's lack of immediate concern is a cause for alarm.

"So, basically, the CDC doesn't have the first inkling of what to do about a potentially explosive form of flu that infects ducks and chickens," said Fox News Science, Health, and Epidemics Commentator Marylinne Kent. "Given the popularity of these two birds as a food source among Asians, and the fact that we have no idea how many undocumented Asians have settled illegally in our nation, the potential for danger is extremely high."

"I urge you all to think of your families," Kent added.

Harold Jefferson, a founding member of the American National Citizen's Institute for Alarm, read from a prepared statement Tuesday.

"We have to face the facts: This isn't just a rapacious killer that could be incubating anywhere within our borders and for which there is no known cure," Jefferson said. "It is also an indicator of the profound indifference of millions of American citizens. Mark my words: People who aren't scared now will look pretty stupid if it turns out that they should have been."

Jefferson added: "The bird flu could someday claim as many lives as Mad Cow Disease."

Ruth Herrin, the New York Post's veteran panic expert, has relied heavily on information provided by alarmists in the scientific community.

"Listen, I'm no disease expert," Herrin said. "But I know that people should be warned about global devastation any time a devastation scenario can be extrapolated from an actual news report. And for the 16th consecutive month, that time is now."

None of the nation's 15,000 certified alarmists have offered a strategy to deal with a possible outbreak.

"Listen, finding cures is not my job," Wexler said. "I just report the facts as best and as briefly as I can. Then I interpret them in what I, as an alarmist, believe to be the most effective fashion. And if what I perceive here is real—namely, a looming epidemic and an atmosphere of apathy and fatalism in the U. S. medical community—then we are facing Armageddon."
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30868
hawkwind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: No Alarmist Here Reply with quote

After 3 sleepless nights trying to nurse my Polly back to health, I realized there was no hope ... the endless sneezing, coughing and wheezing was getting too much for me to handle. To make matters worse, my insurance refused to pay for her Tamiflu prescriptions. I had to make a big decision and I'm making a plea to the group for some advice ...

Is it, red wine with meat and white with poultry or fish ... is it the other way around?? I can never remember ...

- Hawk Wink

scoreless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The East Bay Express is a free “alternative” paper out of Oakland, CA, now part of the New Times chain.

In November 2005, they published a feature article called, “Endangered Species: Free-Range Poultry May Be the First Casualty in Our War on Avian Flu.” Here’s the link (by the way, the buttons at the bottom for clicking to the “Next” page weren’t working, but the “Show All” button did work):

http://eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2005-11-30/news/feature.html

The scary parts of this article—about the “avian flu” pandemic that’s surely on the way, and about how hopeless people are for thinking they can just keep on growing chickens in their back yard like it was 1950 or something—read almost like that Onion piece that Fintan posted!

Back in November, when I read the article, I angrily thought, “This is the first major piece of deliberate propaganda in this newspaper since it became a New Times acquisition.”

However, as I just discovered when I looked the article up online, it’s written by the paper’s food critic.

Before typing this note I glanced at the titles of the first one-third of the writer’s online articles for the Express (over 300 pieces in total), and they’re all local restaurant reviews and short columns about food topics—except for three full-length feature articles: One on the chocolate business, one on the wine business, and this one about “avian flu.” No history of producing articles that have any kind of political slant.

I mention those facts because it really looks to me like this writer is someone who has unknowingly absorbed an entire propaganda creation (“avian flu is about to become a pandemic that will require poor people everywhere to stop growing their own food!!!”) and is relaying it with perfect fidelity, without realizing he’s doing that.

The article is interesting for its quotes from public health officials and its interviews with free-range chicken growers.
Janama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jefferson added: "The bird flu could someday claim as many lives as Mad Cow Disease."

fine - so what's the scare? I can't believe this genocide on chooks! have we lost all sensitivity to the plight of animals?
capt w

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: look at this Reply with quote

-----------------------------------------------
19th Jan 2006 WHO- Girl In Iraq Did Not Die Of Bird Flu

The World Health Organization says the teen did not have the bird flu.

- Geneva, Switzerland -- The World Health Organization says the bird flu virus is not being blamed for the recent death of a 15-year-old girl in Iraq. The agency says its Eastern Mediterranean office has "dismissed" the theory that the virus caused the girl's death. The girl died earlier this week near Iraq's border with Turkey, which is the site of a recent bird flu outbreak.

Iraqi health authorities agree that preliminary results of tests taken at the girl's home also suggest she did not die from avian flu. However, officials there say it's too early to offer a definitive conclusion.

The investigation into the girl's death follows concerns that the virus could spread from Turkey to neighboring countries. - wfmy.com
http://www.wfmy.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=55636
January 31, 2006 - Teen Girl Who Died May Have Had Bird Flu
From Times Wire Reports

A 14-year-old girl who died in northern Iraq this month had bird flu, Iraq's health minister said. A World Health Organization official said preliminary results from a U.S. military laboratory in Cairo showed the H5N1 bird flu virus, but it was seeking further tests.

If confirmed, it would be the first known human case of the virus in Iraq, whose northern provinces border Turkey, where more than 20 people have been diagnosed with the virus. - latimes.com/
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-briefs31.2jan31,0,2738995.story?coll=la-headlines-world
January 31, 2006 - IRAQ: First bird flu case confirmed

- The Ministry of Health has announced that a 15-year-old girl who died on 17 January in the northern town of Raniya, close to Sulaimaniyah, was a victim of the H5N1 strain of bird flu, despite earlier reports to the contrary.

"We are sorry to inform the Iraqis and the world that the case of bird flu in northern Kurdistan has been confirmed as being the first case in Iraq," said Abdel Mohammed, Iraqi minister of health on 30 January. "We alert the population to be aware of migratory birds."

The announcement was made after a sample was tested at a US Naval Medical Research Unit laboratory in Egypt. The World Health Organisation (WHO) is awaiting its own tests to be confirmed in the United Kingdom. - alertnet.org
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/d5448d7087e68e8c8dbf33dd4e375785.htm
January 31, 2006 - WHO Puzzled with Young Turkish Bird Flu Victims

By Cihan News Agency Published: Tuesday, zaman.com

The World Health Organization on Monday expressed puzzlement at the young age of bird flu victims in Turkey during the recent outbreak of the virus in the country.

The WHO's laboratory in Britain has so far confirmed 12 of the 21 H5N1 bird flu cases reported by the Turkish Health Ministry.

The figure includes the deaths of four children from the town of Dogubayazit in the eastern Turkish province of Agri which borders Iran. - zaman.com

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt=&trh=20060131&hn=29234
--------------------------------------------------------

spot that?

"An announcement was made after a sample was tested at a US Naval Medical Research Unit laboratory in Egypt. "

"(WHO) is awaiting its own tests to be confirmed in the United Kingdom"

my analysis
http://www.declarepeace.org.uk/captain/murder_inc/site/flutruth.html
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: What 20 Million?? Reply with quote

From that Onion article above:

"The bird flu could cause a global influenza pandemic similar to the Spanish Flu that killed more than 20 million people in 1918," medical alarmist Dr. Preston Douglas said.

What is even funnier is that the claim of 20 million is very uncertain.

It's a wild guesstimate extrapolated from the U.S. and European mortality data.
And even there, we have no way of being sure what was actually caused by "Flu" or not.
Most of the claimed deaths were in areas of the world where the deaths are estimated and unconfirmable.

Another Pharma scare/hype to underpin their importance as our defenders.
capt w

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Some experts suspect that the 1918 pandemic was caused by a type A virus which moved from pigs to humans. Known as Spanish Flu it wiped out whole communities."

take note of the exhumation of Phyllis Burn
http://www.declarepeace.org.uk/captain/murder_inc/site/texts/virus.pdf

-------------------------------------------------
23rd Jan 2003

VO COMMENTARY Modern travel and population growth increase the threat of a faster spread of a virus when it occurs. To prepare for such a pandemic the answer lies in the 1918 virus. Professor Oxford can only produce a genetic map if he finds clean samples of the 1918 flu virus. His research is largely centred on isolating the virus from tissue samples of 1918 victims kept at the Royal London Hospital and exhumed bodies.

VO/Sync Professor Oxford: When we started the project, we thought there were two ways of looking for influenza genes from 1918. One was to take small paraffin blocks of people who died in hospital for example, small blocks of their lungs which had been carefully preserved, thats one way of doing it. And the other way of doing it was to get frozen bodies from 1918, people who died in the Arctic regions.

VO COMMENTARY Until now all exhumations have failed to reveal a pure strain of the virus. Professor Oxford hopes to find the all important key sample at Twickenham cemetery in the grave of Phyllis Burn, a young nurse who died during the outbreak.

VO/Sync Professor Oxford: People who die and are buried in lead coffins can be very well preserved so we began to look for victims of the 1918 flu pandemic who were buried in lead coffins, thats how we uncovered Phyllis Burn.

VO COMMENTARY At the moment Professor Oxford is still waiting for the approval of the church to go ahead with the exhumation. But his research so far has already cast new light on the 1918 virus.

-------------------------------------------------
a year later they roll out the same psyop
--------------------------------------
Flu victim exhumed after 85 years
Friday, 30 January, 2004

"Scientists are preparing to exhume the body of a woman who
died of flu 85 years ago to find out how the virus killed millions across Europe.

Phyllis Burn died aged 20 in 1918, a victim of the 20th Century's worst flu epidemic,
which killed more than 30 million people.

She was buried in a lead coffin, thought to be virtually airtight, in Twickenham, south-west London. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3446389.stm
names of diseases are useful for politic/economic reasons
The nations of the Allied side of World War I called it the "Spanish Flu" because Spain was not involved in the conflict and the pandemic received greater press attention there than in the rest of the world.

In Spain it was called "The French Flu". Spain did have one of the worst early outbreaks of the disease, with some 8 million people infected in May of 1918.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Flu
Of, course THIS sort of thing wouldn't happen now-a-days...
No one would just spin the cause of a 'disease'...for geo-political reasons, would they?

AVIAN
ASIAN
AVIAN
ASIAN

------------------------------------------
Historical Review
World War I may have allowed the emergence of ?Spanish? influenza

The 1918 influenza pandemic caused 40 million deaths, and so dwarfed in mortality and morbidity the preceding pandemic of 1889 and the 1957 and 1968 pandemics. In retrospect, much can be learnt about the source, the possible subterranean spread of virus, and the genetic basis of virulence.

The World Health Organization has urged every nation to prepare a pandemic plan for the first global outbreak of the 21st century. We present an appraisal of epidemiological and mortality evidence of early outbreaks of respiratory disease in France and the UK in the years 1915 to 1917. Certain of these earlier focal outbreaks-called epidemic bronchitis rather than influenza- occurred during the winter months when influenza was known to be in circulation, and presented with a particular heliotrope cyanosis that was so prominent in the clinical diagnosis in the world pandemic outbreak of 1918-1919 (the Great Pandemic).

The outbreaks in army camps at Etaples in France and Aldershot in the UK in 1916-1917 caused very high mortality in 25-35 year olds. Increased deaths from bronchopneumonia and influenza were also recorded in England. We deduce that early focal outbreaks of influenza-like disease occurred in Europe and on the balance of probability the Great Pandemic was not initiated in Spain in 1918 but in another European country in the winter of 1916 or 1917. We suggest that the pandemic had its origins on the Western Front, and that World War I was a contributor.

Professor JS Oxford [the very same] LINK

he also is quoted as saying this:
-------------------------------------------------------

"We may eventually look back with bemusement on this strange interlude when public health strategies became muddied by international politics, and at least decide that we were taught a lesson that hysterical responses and talking up of threats help no-one."

Smallpox Bioterrorism Unlikely: Populations are easily protected
http://www.basicint.org/pubs/Notes/2003Smallpox.htm
-------------------------------------------------------

What's the TRUTH?

Last night, WNED in New York (a PBS member-supported TV station) broadcast a gripping documentary: "Secrets Of The Dead: The Killer Flu".

A number of experts working in the field said clearly that they expected the return of the horrific 1918 Spanish Influeza vrus, or a variant of it - one British expert predicted that event as occurring within the next 5 or 10 years.

[my note: what's the odd that this expert is Prof John Oxford?]

When you reflect on the fact that the 1918 flu pandemic swept away 40-60 million people around the globe in three separate waves over just six months and THAT before the dawning of mass air travel!), you can envisage both the scale of the potential calamity and how utterly unprepared we are to deal with it.

Every continent would be visited with the same deadly scythe - Europe, the Americas, Asia and Australia.

The anguish would probably also be accentuated by the resulting collapse of the world economy (a very real possibility: the 1918 Flu almost had that effect in England and Germany, but disappeared just before their economies and production went over the brink because of deaths, disruption and sickness absenteeism).

One intriguing note, though: the documentary appeared to state clearly that NO samples of the 1918 flu had been recovered from the bodies of victims buried in the permafrost.

But if you go to the news reports on the excellent '1918 Flu' page at http://www.survivalistskills.com/1918FLU.HTM, they appear to state exactly the opposite - and that, furthermore, the samples thus obtained were sent to the US Army's Biological Warfare section (now re-named) at Fort Detrick and to the equivalent British biological warfare centre! [Porton Down] That appears to be a puzzling and potentially disturbing discrepancy, since the expedition which apparently recovered the tissue samples from Svarlbard Island, in Arctic Norway, was mounted three or four years ago at least.

comment on JON RAPPOPORT [cia fake?] article via Josef hasslberger
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2004/02/07/the_avian_flu_and_drugless_doctors.htm

kathy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although avian influenza A viruses usually do not infect humans,
more than 100 confirmed cases of human infection with avian influenza viruses have been reported since 1997
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/avian-flu-humans.htm

The 1998 NHTSA report "Traffic Safety Facts 1998 Annual Report"
reports 41,471 fatalities and 3,192,000 injuries, 414,960 of them serious.

Canada's 1998 Annual Report lists the 1997 injury total as 221,186 with
a reported 3,064 fatalites

UK motor vehicle accidents accounted for 327,544 injuries in 1997 with 42,967 serious injuries and 3,599 fatalities

Japan's estimated 1998 fatalities numbered about 12,000 with approximately 129,000 serious injuries

Germany 1998 7,792 citizens were killed in motor vehicle accidents,
with 497,000 injuries reported. We estimate that 65,000 of the reported injuries were serious

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/statistics/statistics.htm

H7N7, Netherlands 2003: 89 people were confirmed to have H7N7 of
those there were 78 cases of conjunctivitis (eye infections) only;
5 casesof conjunctivitis and influenza-like illnesses with cough, fever,
and muscle aches; 2 cases of influenza-like illness only; and 4 cases
that were classified as “other.”

H5N1, Hong Kong, 1997: Highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N1)
infections occurred in both poultry and humans.This was the first
time an avian influenza A virus transmission directly from birds to
humans had been found. During this outbreak, 18 people were
hospitalized and six of them died. To control the outbreak,
authorities killed about 1.5 million chickens to remove the source
of the virus.

Cumulative Number of Confirmed Human Cases of Avian Influenza A/(H5N1) Reported to WHO 9 February 2006

WHO Page on Avian Flu
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/en/index.html

Getting cause of death into perspective: Leading causes of deaths throughout the world for 2002

At present, H5N1 avian influenza remains largely a disease of birds.
The species barrier is significant: the virus does not easily cross from
birds to infect humans.

Despite the infection of tens of millions of poultry over large geographical
areas for more than two years, fewer than 200 human cases have been
laboratory confirmed. For unknown reasons, most cases have occurred in
rural and periurban households where small flocks of poultry are kept.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/avian_influenza/en/
Damian Flynn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a podcast on bird flu you might like http://www.redflagsdaily.com/podcasts.html
Janama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a 1 hr Oprah scare episode on the bird flu.

story here

It was basically an interview with Dr. Michael Osterholm - I typed this into google

"Dr. Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert from the University of Minnesota"

you can see he's been spreading the faith.

On my news this morning they said that so far there appears to be no birdflu in Australia.

That's interesting because we should have it - every year we get a new strain of influenza because many of our birds migrate to and from SE Asia annually. All our olds are advised to have a flu shot yearly as the virus mutates.
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Bird Flu Causes Panic in Germany Reply with quote

Quote:
Bird flu causes panic at the shelter

By Carter Dougherty International Herald Tribune FRIDAY, MARCH 3, 2006

SINGEN, Germany: Hannelore Kirchenmaier burst into the animal shelter here Thursday needing advice after a chain of events turned the town's household pets into objects of angst.

First, a stray cat died of bird flu on the German island of Rügen in the Baltic Sea. Before long, the German authorities decreed that all cats needed to be kept indoors throughout swatches of terrain where wild birds infected with the flu have been found, including Singen. They also said that dogs should be on leashes when they are outside.

All this caused a small panic among Kirchenmaier and millions of other pet owners in Germany. Household pets, overnight, had become four-legged bundles of trouble.

"What are we supposed to do?" asked Kirchenmaier.

She takes regular care of a friend's dog that has suddenly befriended a wild cat. Should she keep the dog away from the cat? And how can she keep the cat away from birds?

"I'd take the cat," she said. "But I already have seven myself."

Bird flu's rapid march from Asia to Europe and Africa has created waves of anxiety and economic disruption; the poultry industry is disabled in much of Europe.

Here in Singen, though, cats are barely at risk - only one cat is known to have died of the virus in Europe, and that was far away in the Baltic. But the town offers a vivid illustration of how scientific precautions intersect with daily life.

People are apprehensive because a duck died last week in Singen, which lies near the sprawling Lake Constance. That has made the town of 44,000, a stone's throw from the border with Switzerland, a hotbed of dread.

Cats can become infected with H5N1 by eating sick birds, but it is very rare, and medical authorities say there is barely any chance of a cat passing the disease to humans.

Such reassurance in Singen came from the head of the animal shelter's board, Marion Csajor, whose precise directions soothed Kirchenmaier.

Feed the wild cat to keep it from gnawing on dead birds, Csajor counseled her, and report it to the authorities immediately if it shows signs of sickness. Satisfied, Kirchenmaier hurried off to take the leashed dog on its afternoon walk.

What Kirchenmaier and the shelter cannot do, Csajor explained later, is take in cats and dogs whose owners now feel threatened by their pets. The shelter's 86 cats, 22 dogs and assorted other small critters are her primary charges. "We have to protect the ones we already have," she said.

As the shelter fielded visits and phone calls almost without end, the city government has also been at work.

Last Saturday night, the mayor, Oliver Ehret, got the call from the agriculture minister of the state of Baden-Württemberg, that the dead duck of Singen was a confirmed case of H5N1, the mayor's assistant, Michael Hübner, recalled. The next morning, from his office window, Hübner looked down on the town's traditional pre-Lent festival at a man cavorting in a chicken costume and thought to himself: "Boy, if you only knew."

The first order of business for Singen was to create quarantine zones from which no birds or bird products could be brought. With only about 3,000 hens in town, laying eggs mainly for private use, this was a fairly minor event.

By early in the week, in bitter wintry weather, three two-man teams in brilliant orange uniforms were scouring the banks of the river Aach - where the infected bird was found - in search of other dead fowl. One pair, Werner Sauter and Helmut Heerre, enjoyed minor celebrity status as the town's primary defense against bird flu.

"Lots of people do notice now that there are men in uniforms along the river," Sauter said. But Sauter has found fewer birds than have the alert citizens of Singen, intrepid hikers who will not be denied their walks along the Aach even if they have to slog through wet snow.

They have turned up at least a dozen dead birds, according to Peter Kobuschinski, one of the searchers who must don protective gear and bag the bodies for shipment to labs where they are tested for the virus. Indeed, residents are finding birds in areas where people seldom go, especially in winter.

"The citizenry is forcefully engaged," Hübner said.

Singeners do not seem to worry much about the virus in birds, but the cats and dogs who are now in the midst of the bird flu crisis are another matter. Csajor at the shelter and Hübner at the mayor's office say the problem can be managed with clear communication of what is to be done, but concede that people are inclined to fear that if the virus spread from birds to a cat, then people cannot be far behind.

This week, sober advice about how to behave filled the Südkurier, Singen's daily newspaper, but some comments from government officials referred obliquely to worries about vigilante justice for infected animals. No authority has granted anyone permission to shoot stray cats, one official cautioned.

Yet the anxieties still arouse a measure of humor among the people of Singen, whose melodiously accented German underscores their easygoing nature.

Frederike Geyer trudged through the snow to snap a picture of the small pink sign warning "bird pest - restricted area" hanging under a much larger sign marking the city limits.

Geyer, 17, had been chatting on the Internet with friends who wanted to know whether she was all right and whether soldiers had sealed off the town. No, she assured them, she was fine, as were her cats, Würsti, Pöppi and Missi.

"I'm sure some people are worried, but it has taken on a jokey feel for me," she said. "And that's better than panic."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/03/news/cats.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: