FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Military Coup D'etat in The Kingdom of Thailand
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> State Terror: 9/11, 7/7, CIA Fakes
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
atm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Military Coup D'etat in The Kingdom of Thailand Reply with quote

BREAKING NEWS

01:57 A.M. BKK ASIA TIME

THAI MILITARY OUST CARETAKER PM THAKSIN

AT THE TIME OF MY WRITING THIS THE THAI ARMED FORCES HAVE SEIZED CONTROL OF THE THAI PARLIAMENT AND HAVE SHREDDED THE THAI CONSTITUTION.

TANKS AND HEAVYILY ARMED SPECIAL FORCES HAVE SET UP ROAD BLOCKS, CORDONED OFF BANGKOK AND HAVE DECLARED MARTIAL LAW.

I HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH COLLEGAUES IN THAILAND: ARMY ROADBLOCKS HAVE BEEN SET UP AT ALL BORDER CROSSINGS AND HIGHWAYS/INTERSECTIONS/PORTS/AIRPORTS.

A DEFACTO MILITARY JUNTA HAS ASSUMED POWER IN THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND.

I SHALL UPDATE YOU ON THIS A.S.A.P.

I HATE TO SAY THIS, BUT I DID STATE IN AN EARLIER POST THAT SOMETHING OF THIS NATURE WAS LIKELY.

IT IS NOW GRIM REALITY.

LINKS CONFIRMING THIS:

http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060919/API/609191821&cachetime=5

Thailand's Military Ousts Prime Minister

Thailand's army commander ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a military coup Tuesday night while he was in New York, circling his offices with tanks, declaring martial law and revoking the constitution. A military spokesman said army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin would be acting prime minister.

Sondhi, a Muslim in this Buddhist-dominated country, is known to be close to Thailand's revered monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

An announcement on national television signed by army Sondhi Boonyaratkalin ordered all troops to report to their duty stations.

A senior army general, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said the armed forces chiefs were meeting with the king to discuss forming an interim government, suggesting it would probably be led by civilians.

As soldiers and armored vehicles moved through a drizzly Bangkok, an announcement from the military had earlier declared a provisional authority loyal to the king.

It declared that a "Council of Administrative Reform" had seized power in Bangkok and nearby provinces without any resistance. It recognized the king as head of state.

"The armed forces commander and the national police commander have successfully taken over Bangkok and the surrounding area in order to maintain peace and order. There has been no struggle," the announcement said. "We ask for the cooperation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience."

Thaksin, who has faced calls to step down amid allegations of corruption and abuse of power, was in New York at the U.N. General Assembly, and he declared a state of emergency in an audio statement via a government-owned TV station in Bangkok.

At least 14 tanks surrounded Government House, Thaksin's office. A convoy of four tanks rigged with loudspeakers and sirens rolled through a busy commercial district of Bangkok, warning people to get off the street for their own safety.

Army spokesman Col. Akara Chitroj said Deputy Prime Minister Chitchai Wannasathit had been removed from his post.

An army general, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said Chitchai and Defense Minister Thammarak Isaragura na Ayuthaya - two Thaksin loyalists - had been arrested.

"The government is no longer administering the country," Akara said.

In a vain attempt to stave off the coup, Thaksin in his state-of-emergency declaration from New York had ordered Sondhi to report to Chitchai immediately, effectively dismissing him.

Thaksin, who had been scheduled to address the General Assembly on Wednesday night, switched his speech to Tuesday at 7 p.m. EDT.

The coup went largely unnoticed in Bangkok's popular tourist districts, where foreigners packed bars and cabarets, oblivious to the activity about two miles away. But word raced among street vendors hawking T-shirts, who packed up their carts quickly and started heading home.

Hundreds of people gathered at Government House taking pictures of themselves with the tanks.

"I don't agree with the coup, but now that they've done it, I support it because Thaksin has refused to resign from his position," said university student Sasiprapha Chantawong. "Allowing Thaksin to carry on will ruin the country more than this. The reputation of the country may be somewhat damaged, but it's better than letting Thaksin stay in power."

The White House said it was monitoring the events.

[CHOKING ON THIS SPIN IS PERMITTED.]

Frederick Jones, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said President Bush's national security advisers had seen various reports of military movements as well as reports of a declaration of a state of emergency.

"We are monitoring developments closely, but the situation at the moment is unclear," Jones said. "We look to the Thai people to resolve their political differences in a peaceful manner and in accordance with principles of democracy and rule of law."

[COME AGAIN?]

Former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai, and a member of the opposition Democrat Party, said Thaksin had forced the military to act.

[BULLSHIT -- THE MILITARY HATE THAKSIN.]

"As politicians, we do not support any kind of coup but during the past five years, the government of Thaksin created several conditions that forced the military to stage the coup. Thaksin has caused the crisis in the country," he told The Associated Press.

It was the first coup in Thailand since 1992, when an attempt by Prime Minister Suchinda Kraprayoon, a military general, to retain power was countered by mass street demonstrations and Suchinda's ouster. After that, the military vowed to remain in its barracks, in contrast to earlier decades when military coups were a staple of Thai politics.

Tuesday's coup came a day before a major rally - the first in months - was to take place in Bangkok by a anti-Thaksin coalition.[/color][/b]

Massive rallies earlier this year forced Thaksin to dissolve Parliament and call an election in April, three years early. The poll was boycotted by the opposition and later annulled by Thailand's top courts, leaving it without a working legislature.

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai Party [Thai Love Thai] twice won landslide election victories [vote fraud], in 2001 and 2005 and had been expected to win the next vote on Oct. 15, bolstered by its widespread support in the country's rural areas.

In March, Sondhi sought to ease speculation the military might join the political fray, as it last did in 1992 and more than a dozen other times during earlier crises.

"The army will not get involved in the political conflict. Political troubles should be resolved by politicians," Sondhi said at the time, echoing comments of other top military officials. "Military coups are a thing of the past."

On Monday, Thaksin had said he might step down as leader of Thailand after the upcoming elections but would remain as partly leader, despite calls for him to give up the post.

The first sign of the coup came when army-owned TV channel 5 interrupted regular broadcasts with patriotic music and showed pictures of the king. Later, several hundred soldiers were deployed at government installations and major intersections in Bangkok.

Thaksin's critics wanted to jettison his policies promoting privatization, free trade agreements and CEO-style administration.

Opposition to Thaksin gained momentum in January when his family announced it had sold its controlling stake in telecommunications company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion. Critics allege the sale involved insider trading and complained a key national asset moved to foreign hands.

Thaksin also has been accused of stifling the media and mishandling a Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand that flared under his rule.

[That is a major understatement.]

In the mostly Muslim south, separatist insurgents have waged a bloody campaign that has left at least 1,700 dead, mostly civilians, since 2004. Citizens there have complained of rights abuses by soldiers and discrimination by the country's Buddhist majority.

Bhumibol, a 78-year-old constitutional monarch with limited powers, has used his prestige to pressure opposing parties to compromise during political crises. He is credited with helping keep Thailand more stable than many of its Southeast Asian neighbors.

He is the world's longest-serving monarch, celebrated his 60th year on the throne with lavish festivities in June that were attended by royalty from around the world.

Many Thais had been counting on him to pull the country through its political crisis, which has left it with no functioning legislature and only a caretaker government after the inconclusive election.

Bhumibol was born in Cambridge, Mass. He became the ninth king of Thailand's Chakri dynasty on June 9, 1946, succeeding his older brother, Ananda, killed by an unexplained shooting.

Since then, he has reigned through a score of governments, democratic and dictatorial. He has taken an especially active role in rural development.

In 1992, demonstrators against a military strongman were gunned down before the king stepped in to end the fighting and usher in a period of stability.

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=20107

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- An announcement on Thai TV declares that a "Council of Administrative Reform" has seized power in Bangkok and the surrounding area without any resistance. At least 14 tanks surround the prime minister's office.

Witnesses say the units are blocking the area around the offices of the country's prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He's in New York for the opening of the U.N. General Assembly session, and he's declared a state of emergency, by way of a government-owned TV station.

The rumors of a coup swept Bangkok after a TV station owned by the army suspended regular programming and played patriotic songs.

In his message from New York, the prime minister said he's ordering the transfer of Thailand's army chief, who'll now work in the prime minister's office. That, in effect, suspends him from his military duties.

Earlier this year, massive rallies forced the prime minister to dissolve Parliament and call an election in April, three years early. The election was boycotted by the opposition, and it was later annulled by Thailand's top courts. That left the country without a working legislature.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press . All Rights Reserved.

Created: 9/19/2006 8:30:08 AM Updated: 9/19/2006 10:48:13 AM

MORE TO FOLLOW.

atm Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Last edited by atm on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total
dilbert_g

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: jettison policies promoting privatization, free trade .. Reply with quote

Thaksin's critics wanted to jettison his policies promoting privatization, free trade agreements and CEO-style administration.

Sadly (i think), I would expect that Washington will be sending in 'peacekeeping forces' any day now, to restore privatization, free trade agreements and CEO-style administration, i.e. restore corruption.
atm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DG

that won't happen, trust me. Only fools would attempt to ursurp this highly popular bloodless coup and Thailand's de facto emergency leadership.

84% of Thais agree with the coup.

75% believe the coup will improve Thai politics.

[Quote: A survey conducted by Suan Dusit Poll yesterday among 2,019 people from various occupations nationwide found that 83.9% were for the takeover by the Council for Democratic Reform.]

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/21Sep2006_news02.php

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/21Sep2006_news04.php

The King of the Kingdom of Thailand -- King Bhumibol Adulyadej -- has fully endorsed the military intervention:

'The Council for Democratic Reform (CDR) announced His Majesty the King's endorsement of Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin as its leader yesterday in what was seen as confirmation that the council had the situation under control.'

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/21Sep2006_news01.php

Meanwhile, Thaksin has fled to London (he bought a mansion there only weeks ago). I only hope that he is politely asked by the British to find somewhere else to hide.

To quote Thaksin:

''On my way here [to New York, to deliver a speech to the UN General Assembly and lobby for Mr Surakiart to be the new UN secretary-general] I was prime minister. On my way back I'm jobless.''

''If they don't want me to work, it's OK. I won't,'' he added

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/21Sep2006_news03.php

Well, excuse me Mr Thaksin, you were NOT prime minister -- you were a self-appointed caretaker prime minister. Your sophistry knows no bounds.

Jobless? Jobless, Mr Thaksin? Your choice of words is astonishing. You didn't do a day's work in your life, save for robbing the Kingdom of Thailand to such an extent that the military had to step in to oust you.

'On my way back I'm jobless.' How's that for a political super ego?

Mr Thaksin, you will NOT 'be on your way back' unless you like bullets with your noodles.

The military's menology was faultless, expertly timed to cause Thaksin maximum international embarrasment: they waited until he was out of the kingdom at a high profile UNGA meeting and then they swooped, surrounding Thaksin's residence and laying seige to to the PMs private barracks. Fully all of said troops defected to the coup battalions.

Now that is what I call military planning.

Thaksin, you are history. A footnote of history.

To see pictures of Thai and falang handing smiling troops red roses and yellow ribbons [yellow is the Thai royal colour] warms the heart.

I just hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of Saloth Sar's [Pol Pot's] Democratic Kampuchea (NRKA Cambodia): anyone remember the joyful welcome that the Khmer Rouge received when entering Phnom Phen in 1975?

Yeah, the people adorned the KR with red roses on the April 17th 1975 and were slaughtered on the 18th.

This situation is different though. A bad man is going, not coming.

Out. Not in.

And not a drop of blood spilt.

But history can be a very unpredictable animal.

On a more optimistic note we must hope that a repeat of the Thai coup happens on Capitol Hill and Downing Street: bloodless coups are sorely needed in more places than one, as everyone of all nations are far too well aware.

atm
atm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Views of Michael B. Haupt on the Thai Coup

www.threeworldwars.com

Thailand's Coup

In case you're not already aware, the military in Thailand staged a coup on Tuesday night (Bangkok time), ousting caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Traditional spin can be found in your favorite news sources and I have included a few links below under References. My commentary will take a slightly different angle.

A coup d'Útat (pronounced /ku de'ta/), or simply a coup, is the sudden overthrow of a government through unconstitutional means by a part of the state establishment, that mostly replaces just the top power figures. It is also an example of political engineering. It may or may not be violent in nature. It is different from a revolution, which is staged by a larger group and radically changes the political system. The term is French for "a (sudden) blow (or strike) to a state" (literally, coup, hit, and ╔tat, state, always written with a capital ╔ in this meaning).

Thailand's political history is littered with coups, and this is the 18th coup since 1945 - perhaps it's because the Thais understand the farce of democratic elections.

The event is nowhere near as dramatic as represented by our usual news sources. I have spoken by telephone to 3 people in Bangkok, who confirm that many businesses are operating normally, despite the declaration of martial law and a bank holiday. Some in rural and tourist areas are not even aware of developments.

For those of us not directly affected by the coup, the best thing we can do is sit up and take note of what actions are taken, so that we're prepared if the same thing happens in our country. And this may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. As we move closer and closer to the breaking point of all Western systems, military coups will become commonplace: either as a catalyst for change, or as a result of something in the system breaking (perhaps a stock market crash?).

We must always keep in mind that events in otherwise remote areas are often permitted or engineered so that valuable lessons can be learned by leaders of greater nations. (Do you find it ironic, as I do, that the PM was visiting the UN and the Council on Foreign Relations when the coup occurred? Hmmm..)

Find it hard to believe that Western nations watch and learn from Third World Countries? Ponder for a moment the desperate situation in Zimbabwe. This human tragedy has continued unchecked for over 12 years, with little international commentary, meaningful aid or intervention. Nevertheless, many valuable lessons have been learnt by Western leaders about property confiscation and government tyranny. But I digress.

Here are the results of the Thai coup, which could easily affect you if the same were to happen in your country:

Local TV stations are controlled to broadcast news of the coup;

In Thailand, images of the King and patriotic songs and messages were broadcast;

TV stations unsympathetic to the cause are shut down.

In Thailand, foreign stations broadcast via cable like BBC and CNN were blacked out, making it almost impossible to receive independent news reports [I know this as absolute fact -- atm];

State of Emergency and Martial Law is declared. In Bangkok, tanks and soldiers were deployed in city streets to protect the King's residence and Government House;

Banks closed, allowing only access to ATM's;

Stock prices tumble as country's credit rating is downgraded;

Borders closed and all overland travel denied;

Gatherings of more than 5 people prohibited;

Although no official curfew has been announced, most Thais in Bangkok are remaining indoors after dark.

It doesn't take much imagination to realize the impact actions such as these will have on the man in the street, as the value of his home crashes, his money remains inaccessible and travel becomes [almost] impossible.

Look how quickly it happened in Thailand - the same is coming very soon for the US and other Western nations - doubt it not.

[I do not fully endorse all of Michael B. Haupt's views, but then, I do not fully endorse all of anyones views; on this one though he is spot on.]

atm
dilbert_g

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: coup, what a coincidence Fintan Reply with quote

The problem with coups like this is the fear that they will --- as you said --- turn into a bloody mess. Who could do this in the USA or Britain?

The military. I imagine it would have to be pretty broad-based, secrets are difficult to keep. And I imagine that most of the mil is still patriotic towards the government rather than the country, though obviously we've seen some splits. Even rumors about the ex-Generals. But then the Generals were more angry about tactics in Iraq, not an unwillingness to do it, but a more Kerry-esque stance ... do it all the way.

The public, large chunks "get it" but quite a few think it's business as usual, or that America is too wussified, not acting tough enough fast enough.
Quote:
I responded to one of those yokels on the radio ("some people think we didn't go to the moon and that the government attacked us"), with some stories about what we did to people in Nicaragua, and how little separates American peasants (and human rights activists and the like) from peasants anywhere else. Then the part about the highly successful Operation Green Quest (i guess they caught a real terrorist money trail) being sabotaged by the FBI, harassed by CIA, with one of the major companies involved having $millions in contracts with the whole government and Defense. I'm trying to people the obvious stuff, create doubts. (I even said, maybe 9-11 wasn't an inside job, maybe they're just so embedded financially it LOOKS like that.) heh-heh

What can some wingnut say?

I imagine most of the troops, besides severely wanting to get out of there, are pretty angry. All I know is a government that has no support of the military is dead meat. But if the real power is the monied and not the politicians ... then what? It's really a puzzle to me. How to get out of the trap. I imagine the elites would have to go along in such a situation, or face arrest. Unless I'm in the dark, it does not seem anywhere yet close enough for something like that .. not enough pain, not enough understanding --- other than "politicians are screwing up".
atm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coup Latest

Thaksin's cronies get shown door

Military, police reshuffle lists to be revised

By Wassana Nanuam & Wassayos Ngamkham

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Sep2006_news00.php

The military and police are poised to flush remnants of Thaksin Shinawatra's regime from key positions to prevent counter activities in the aftermath of the coup, sources said yesterday. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, army chief and head of the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM), has reportedly revised the army's annual military reshuffle and asked the air force and the navy to do the same.

The new Police Commission, appointed on Friday after CDRM's 18th announcement, is expected to review the police reshuffle list when it meets today.

Sources said the army and police lists are likely to see drastic changes.

Gen Sonthi reportedly told defence permanent secretary Gen Sirichai Tunyasiri and the CDRM members last week to reconsider the military list.

Gen Sonthi has shifted Mr Thaksin's close aides and former classmates at the armed forces preparatory school from key posts to prevent them from mobilising resistance, the sources said.

To be booted upstairs are assistant army chief Gen Pornchai Kranlert, First Army Corps commander Lt-Gen Jirasit Kesakomol, First Army Division chief Maj-Gen Prin Suwandhat, Cavalry Division commander Maj-Gen Sanit Prommat, Anti-Aircraft Division chief Maj-Gen Ruangsak Thongdee and Third Army deputy chief Maj-Gen Manas Paorik.

The sources said the Defence Ministry has dropped the nomination of Lertrat Rattanavanich, Supreme Command chief of staff, as defence permanent secretary. Gen Lertrat was reportedly nominated with Mr Thaksin's blessing.

The post is likely to go to Vinai Patthiyakul, secretary-general of the National Security Council and CDRM secretary-general, or to deputy defence permanent secretary ACM Tharet Poonsri.

Gen Vinai has also been reportedly approached by the CDRM to be interior minister in the interim government.

Gen Boonsang Niampradit is tipped to succeed Gen Ruengroj Mahasaranont as supreme commander.

Gen Sonthi's lieutenants in the coup, First Army Region chief Lt-Gen Anupong Paochinda and Third Army Region chief Lt-Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr, will be promoted to assistant army commanders.

The Police Commission, chaired by national police chief Pol Gen Kowit Wattana is likely to banish cronies of Mr Thaksin, former deputy interior minister Chidchai Wannasathit and Pol Gen Priewphan Damapong, brother of Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra, from key posts.

The CDRM has reportedly issued a list of 18 police officers who could pose a threat to national security if they were to remain in their current posts.

''This commission will make changes to the reshuffle list. Among those facing the axe is Wongkot Maneerin, Mr Thaksin's classmate at the Police Academy. He is likely to stay where he is,'' said a source.

[Ambiguous -- I shall seek clarification.]

Pol Lt-Gen Wongkot was nominated as a deputy national police chief, bypassing his senior and assistant national police chief Pol Lt-Gen Charnwut Watchrapuk.

The others to be shifted to inactive posts due to their close affiliations with Mr Thaksin include Special Branch Police chief Pol Lt-Gen Thaworn Chanyim, Immigration Police chief Pol Lt-Gen Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, Police Region 4 chief Pol Lt-Gen Sathaporn Duangkaew, Central Investigation Bureau chief Pol Lt-Gen Montri Chamroon, Crime Suppression Division chief Pol Maj-Gen Winai Thongsong, 191 Police chief Pol Maj-Gen Sumeth Ruangsawat, Metropolitan Police Division 5 chief Pol Maj-Gen Kosin Hinthao, Metropolitan Police Division 7 chief Pol Maj-Gen Boonsong Panich-attra, and Special Branch Police Division 3 chief Pol Maj-Gen Atthakrit Thareechat who is providing security for Mr Thaksin in London.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two kinds of power

Armoured tanks can both destroy buildings and enchant children

Story By Wassana Nanuam And Surasak Tumcharoen

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Sep2006_news02.php

The M-41/A tanks of the Fourth Cavalry Battalion are creating quite a scene, with adults and children taking pictures on them and offering food and flowers to soldiers.

The tanks have been a hit with the public since they first appeared on Bangkok streets in the bloodless coup to depose the government of caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on the night of Sept 19.

About 20 tanks were moved from their base in the Kiakkai area and deployed at Government House, Royal Plaza and at Army Headquarters on Ratchadamnoen Nok avenue, as well as at major intersections nearby.

Yellow ribbons (yellow is His Majesty the King's birthday colour, corresponding to Monday, the day he was born) have been tied to weapons and soldiers' uniforms.

"We are ready to do what the King asks. We are soldiers who belong to His Majesty," said Lt-Col Sanyalak Tangsiri, commander of the battalion.

It seems tanks and uniformed troops have lost their threatening image. The appearance of tanks on the streets has been more like an exhibition of military weapons - a crowd-pleaser, attracting locals and foreign tourists, who queue up to take photos.

The crowds are particularly big at the Royal Plaza, making it look like a temple fair, with food vendors and enthusiasts. Some schools have taken students on tours of the area.

"It is more like a show of military tanks," said a 40-year-old woman, who was herself eager to see the tanks.

Many people said they have witnessed several coups in the past. Most, they said, rattled their nerves and made them afraid to leave their homes.

But this coup is different, they said, and they are not afraid to come out.

Some said it was a long time since they had seen tanks patrolling the streets.

The last coup was in 1991, when the National Peace-keeping Council (NPKC) toppled the Chatichai Choonhavan administration.

A housewife, who turned up with her three-year-old son, said children love the tanks. She took photos of her son sitting on one.

She said it was like an army exhibition open to children, like the one organised on Children's Day.

However, Vallapa Niyomthai, dean of the Communication Arts faculty at Rajabhat Suan Dusit University, said although it appeared the public was more receptive of the Sept 19 coup, tanks are a symbol that is incompatible with democracy.

Ms Vallapa said the public and children need to be educated about the implications of the tanks. They are synonymous with dictatorship and the use of force in attaining power, she said.

Tanks have been part of both successes and failures in military coup attempts in recent years.

Col Manoon Roopkhachorn (now Maj-Gen Manoonkrit), the then commander of the Fourth Cavalry Battalion, and the late Col Prachak Sawangchit staged a failed coup attempt on April 1, 1981 (known as the April Fool's coup). It was aimed at toppling the government of Prem Tinsulanonda.

In 1985, Col Manoon, then commander of the First Cavalry Regiment, attempted a second coup against Gen Prem without success.

In 1991, the NPKC headed by Gen Sunthorn Kongsompong and Gen Suchinda Kraprayoon successfully mounted a coup that ousted Gen Chatichai from power.

"We were branded rebels after the aborted coup attempt of Sept 9, 1985. We emerged triumphant when the NPKC managed to topple the Chatichai administration in 1991," a sergeant-major of the battalion said.

"We won again this time."

Currently, the Fourth Cavalry Battalion, under the command of the First Army Region, has a total of 53 tanks fitted with 76mm guns.

More as events unfold.

So far so good.

A very British coup, as we say in the U.K.

atm

BTW the avatar is former caretaker PM Thaksin Shinawatra.
Useful Eater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atm, nice avatar it cracked me up for sure. But of course that photo was taken out of context, I mean major political leaders use that symbol as a sign of peace and tranquility don't they?

Nothing to see here, move on please.

Wink
atm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers UE. Oh, BTW, there's plenty more to see. Don't go away:

Ousted PM's wife joins him in London

London _ The wife of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived in London yesterday to join her husband, officials said, as graft [corruption/human trafficking] probes were launched against him in Bangkok.

A Thai Airways International flight carrying Khunying Potjaman, who is widely believed to have exerted great influence over her husband's activities, flew into London's Heathrow airport from Bangkok, said an airline spokesman.

She had been confirmed to be on board the flight by the chief of immigration in Bangkok, Pol Lt-Gen Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, according to AFP.

''She has left with two other people, her housekeeper and a close friend, at 1:30am on Thai Airways Flight 910 to London's Heathrow airport,'' he was quoted as saying. A reliable source said it was her second recent overseas trip.

Khunying Potjaman said she had left for Singapore on a Jetstar Airways flight from Suvarnabhumi airport on Sept 18 with about 30-40 bags and then returned to Bangkok days later.

Mr Thaksin was in New York for the UN General Assembly when the military seized power on Sept 19. He then went to London, where he maintains a residence and where one of his daughters, Pinthongtha, is studying.

His son, Panthongthae, is still in Bangkok. _ BANGKOK POST and AFP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council to 'assist' the interim govt

POST REPORTERS

The Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy will "assist" in the running of the country after the interim government is formed, CDRM secretary Gen Winai Phattiyakul told foreign diplomats yesterday.

Gen Winai said the CDRM would transform into the Council for National Security (CNS) and assist the government in ensuring that the administration of the country was politically, economic and socially sustainable.

"We are not the prime minister and the prime minister is not our boss," he added.

The CNS would form an interim legislature made up of 250 people and a people's assembly composed of 2,000 members from all walks of life. These assembly members would then handpick from among themselves 100-200 constitution drafters, he said.

It would take about six months to draft the constitution and another month for it to be reviewed by the CNS and the interim government, Gen Winai added.

Then it would take a month for areferendum to be held nationwide to endorse the constitution, a task that might be entrusted to the national Election Commission.

The interim government would be formed after the interim prime minister is nominated, an event likely to happen early next week, he said.

"The name of the new prime minister will be ready by early next week and the next step will be to form an interim government to preside over the much-needed political reform," said Gen Winai, also secretary-general of the National Security Council.

Asked whether the interim prime minister had to be a legal expert, Gen Winai said the interim government had to steer the country towards economic well-being and international recognition as well as look after political reform.

The candidate therefore "must have charisma and other necessary qualifications, including honesty and courage".

CDRM chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin and Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda discussed candidates for interim prime minister during a 45-minute session at the latter's residence yesterday afternoon, a source said.

Gen Sonthi [coup leader] asked Gen Prem to help him decide but Gen Prem refused to point the way, said the source.

But he did note that appointing a former military officer as interim prime minister could adversely affect the CDRM's image.

Candidates currently on the shortlist included Privy Councillor Gen Surayudh Chulanond and Supreme Administrative Court President Akrathorn Chularat, the source said.

Gen Sonthi said Gen Prem urged the authorities to choose the interim prime minister carefully, and asked for justice in the reshuffle lists of military and civil servants.

Wutisak Lapcharoensap, political science dean of Ramkhamhaeng University, commented that the CDRM was unlikely to revisit the path taken by the National Peace-keeping Council that was met with international disapproval after the last coup in 1991.

Mr Wutisak said Gen Sonthi was unlikely to centralise all power but an interim government under the present circumstances would need support from those in charge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atm
atm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone tipped off Thaksin that a coup was in the offing.

When Thaksin was at the UNGA in New York he declared a state of emergency on Thailand's Channel 9.

As PM and caretaker PM, BTW, Thaksin declared that he had absolute power due to the civil unrest in Southern Thailand (which I personally believe to be the handy work of Thaksin and his now deposed cronies).

Thaksin even tried to have General Sonthi, who led the coup, sacked from his Army Chief post just hours before the tanks rolled into Bangkok.

But it didn't work.

High profile resignations have followed.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Sep2006_news04.php

Mcot board resigns 'for Thaksin broadcast'

The board of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand and Mcot director-general Mingkwan Saengsuwan yesterday announced their resignations. They quit to take responsibility for allowing the airing of a state of emergency declaration by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra before he was ousted by the coup on Sept 19.

Their resignations take effect today.

Rewat Chamchalerm, chairman of the Mcot board, yesterday held a press conference to announce the resignations of all board members following the broadcasting of Mr Thaksin's statement from New York on Channel 9.

Mcot deputy managing director Chidnarong Kunakrisadathikarn will serve as acting Mcot managing director. The board will assist with work at the agency until a new board is appointed.

The Mcot board and Mr Mingkwan came under heavy criticism for allowing Mr Thaksin to gain access to its Modernine TV, or Channel 9, to declare a state of emergency shortly before troops led by the Council for Democratic Reform surrounded Government House and seized power in a bloodless coup.

Before he was deposed, Mr Thaksin tried to gain access to the TV Pool to declare a state of emergency and announce the removal of army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, who led the coup.

But Mr Thaksin was only able to secure Channel 9's cooperation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW the reason for the coup was a phenonema called 'Thaksinocracy'.

There are five characteristics of Thaksinocracy:

1) Hijack the Constitution
2) Control and distort the Democracy
3) Replace Nationalism with Materialism
4) Extremely Corrupted
5) End peace and justice of the land

Sound familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksinocracy

Happy reading.

atm

Very Happy
atm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen on a Thai Web site:

NOTE TO OUR MEMBERS:

All media was today 2006-09-21 ordered by ICT [Information and Communications Technology Ministry] to exercise censorship of any news critical of the coup-makers and the new military regime.

Offenders face up to six months in jail, a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both.

This also prohibits ******* from publishing such content. We kindly ask our members to refrain from posting sensitive political content, or anything that could be deemed to be critical of the new military regime.

We reserve the rights [sic] to delete content that could be dangerous for the operation of our website.

We have to do a bit of self-censorship here so we don't get into trouble.

Thanks for your understanding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm not critical of the coup. I LOVE censorship, especially self-censorship. It makes me feel so empowered.

atm Crying or Very sad :roll: Shocked
atm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surayud 'CDR's top choice' now

WASSANA NANUAM & PARISTA YUTHAMANOP

The Council for Democratic Reform (CDR) yesterday asked Privy Councillor Gen Surayud Chulanont to serve as interim prime minister after reports of the possibility gained widespread support, a source said. The source, which is close to the council, said CDR chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin had asked Gen Surayud, a former army commander-in-chief, if he was ready to take the post if nominated.

Gen Surayud has not given an answer yet, however. As a privy councillor, Gen Surayud needed royal permission to accept the post, said the source.

The CDR needed to seek the King's permission as well, the source added.

According to the source, the CDR also proposed naming M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula, the Bank of Thailand (BoT) governor, as a deputy prime minister and finance minister.

The BoT governor on Tuesday was appointed to head the CDR's advisory committee on economic affairs.

The CDR also proposed that Gen Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, a former premier, be named the interim government's adviser on national security and reconciliation, said the source.

Gen Surayud has emerged as a frontrunner for the premiership in the past two days after the country's leading economists, including M.R. Pridiyathorn and Supachai Panitchpakdi, secretary-general of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (Unctad), had been touted as top candidates.

A senior public servant yesterday said Gen Surayud would be a strong candidate given the immediate problems facing the country.

''The divide in society and turmoil in the South are bigger problems than the economy,'' the source said.

'' Bringing in an economist as prime minister would not solve the core problems. We need to address the larger issues.''

The apparent progress concerning the question of who will be the interim prime minister followed the delivery of a suspicious-looking package, which was meant for Gen Sonthi, at the army headquarters last night.

The package was left with military police at the gate around 7.30pm by a woman who drove a bronze-coloured Mercedes. She called herself Orasa and left a namecard with a phone number.

Security officers ran a metal detector on the package and it beeped, so they called in bomb disposal experts who used a high-pressure water gun to blow it apart.

The package was found to contain Gen Sonthi's family photo in a stainless steel frame, a pocketbook on diseases affecting the elderly and a letter.

However, a loud bang caused a small commotion among security officers and reporters inside the compound.

The day had been marked by rampant rumours that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra might return to the country.

But Thai Rak Thai party spokesman Sita Divari expressed confidence that this would not happen.

''I believe he won't come back to the country soon,'' he said.

''If he came back, the situation would not return to normal. And in his [earlier] interview, he said he would let the dust settle first,'' said Mr Sita.

A source in the CDR said a return by Mr Thaksin could trigger mass demonstrations, leading to inevitable turmoil.

If Mr Thaksin returned, he would be asked to report to the CDR and subsequently detained together with his four former ministers.

That would add insult to injury, worsening Mr Thaksin's public image, said the source.

Meanwhile, Maj-Gen Surasit Sangkapong yesterday tendered his resignation as director-general of the Government Lottery Office (GLO).

The GLO, which is under the Finance Ministry, is being investigated for alleged irregularities in its handling of revenue from lottery sales.

The GLO has long been accused of lacking transparency and using lottery revenue to fund political activities and ''populist'' policies under the Thai Rak Thai government.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/29Sep2006_news02.php

BTW, five schools in a TRT stronghold were torched on the 27th.

The army have banned photography of tank units in Bangkok. School day trips to pose with said hardware have stopped.

For a concise background to the coup type into your search engine '2006 Thailand coup d'Útat wikipedia'.

There are also videos at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Thailand+coup

See especially http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D0JWhKJ6qA

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZGmUwypQ4&mode=related&search=

More news as it happens.

atm
Useful Eater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So atm if Thaksin was another CFR elitist power hungry murderer why did they feel the need to replace him? I mean don't they need backing from 'outside' forces to give the coup the go ahead?

Did he outlive his usefulness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> State Terror: 9/11, 7/7, CIA Fakes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: