FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
unbearable weather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Azoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: unbearable weather Reply with quote

I know there's too much other weightier stuff going on. But our local weather reports have become rather PC. Today, as most Every week now we see (cut and paste) the Hazard warning. If some rain is inimical then my mistake but this place seems to be exempt from major storms apart from North Easters. This hazard alert, I know, is a new thing as it rarely reared it's head, no matter what, in the past. I heard what Alan Watt had to say about the Weather Channel, and who owns it.

Hazardous Weather Conditions

Sunny

High: 45 F

Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 36. Northeast wind 5 to 11 mph becoming southeast after midnight.

Increasing
Clouds

Low: 36 F

Wednesday: Rain likely, mainly after 1pm. Patchy fog after 4pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 50. Windy, with a south wind 18 to 23 mph increasing to 26 to 31 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Chance Rain
and Windy
then Rain
Likely and
Patchy Fog

High: 50 F

As an aside, I can now feel when my posts are read by people other than casual observers. Careful wording in posts are read.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: What you get is not always what you c... Reply with quote

Perception is always a function of perspective. It is using the anti-thesis that allows us to better deal with the reality that surrounds us.

Last year we suffered through "record" cold. Dec-Feb at about 5C lower than average. This year, so far, we are at about 5C above average.
Is average the climatological standard of 30 years used to calculate anomalies?
Is average what this location has endured since the last ice age?

In fact, the lowest winter temps in these parts occurred in 1934 and were about 10C lower (bone-chilling cold). Curiously, the highest summer temps also occurred in 1934...

Were we to live thousands of years and have excellent powers of recall, weather variations would never be an issue. The fact that we lose track of these recollections helps make the news "new".

Azoth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: c Reply with quote

Or, contrast. What you relate makes me think of the winter of 1943 - which just happened to be the coldest winter in quite sometime. The Germans were stuck out in the cold in a not so as it were fashion.

You've still that curious style of prose. Sounds so much more sophisticated from your average post. It wasn't really my point. Its simply that they are trowing that "alert" over utter trivia now. According to Alan there is an agenda behind it and I concur.

Yeah, "nothing new under the sun". Yet we forget.... and as Corporal Uppam said in Saving Private Ryan, "What does that make?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: