FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Military Industrial Complex: Sucking the Life out of Society
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Military Industrial Complex: Sucking the Life out of Society Reply with quote

Of course there are the obvious methods of depleting a societies resources like an illegal invasion. Huge sums blown on hardware, manpower, logistics, black ops and bribes. For example, yes Iraq has to have its death squads funded, lots of bombs dropped etc...but don't forget about the good ol' bribe. Iraq had a middle class, ripe for bribing. Afghanistan not having a middle class may have come in a bit cheaper. But I digress. Let me focus on one resource sucking piece of hardware - for the US, Canada and any other sucker country lining up for this technical lemon. The F-35, the #1 example - really it is just the most recent example...I am certain we could make a huge list of the wasted, essential dollars sucked up by the MIC - public enemy numero uno!

The $400 Billion Military Jet That Can't Fly in Cloudy Weather
March 17, 2013 | Alternet

100th F-35 Being Built, None Yet Operational. The Canadian gov is considering purchasing this junk!

'The F-35 joint strike fighter is an unbelievable failure, and the perfect illustration of everything that's wrong with our military industrial complex.

The F-35 is a case study of government failure at all levels - civilian and military, federal, state, local, even airport authority. Not one critical government agency is meeting its obligation to protect the people it presumably represents. Senator Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., who wrote the F-35 critique above, is hardly unique as an illustration of how government fails, but he sees no alternative to failure.

Up for re-election in 2014 and long a supporter of basing the F-35 in Vermont, Leahy put those thoughts in a letter to a constituent made public March 13. This is Leahy's most recent public communication since December 2012, when he refused to meet with opponents of the F-35 and his web site listed a page of "public discussion" events mostly from the spring, including private briefings with public officials, without responding to any substantive issues.

The F-35 is a nuclear-capable weapon of mass destruction that was supposed to be the "fighter of the future" when it was undertaken in 2001. Now, more than a decade overdue and more than 100% over budget, the plane is expected to cost $1.5 trillion over its useful life, of which about $400 billion has already been spent.

In January, the Lockheed Martin production facility in Fort Worth, Texas, reported it was well along "in the final phase of building the wings" of the 100th F-35 constructed by the Bethesda, Maryland, company. Of the first 99 F-35s, none are yet operational.

The F-35 isn't even close to fully operational - it can fly only on sunny days. It can't fly at night. And it can't fly in clouds or near lightning. We know this because the Pentagon tells us so, in a report written for the Secretary of Defense by the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, J. Michael Gilmore, dated February 15, 2013.
...'

The reasons to run from this program go on and on...

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who benefits from US wars?
29 Jul 2012 | PressTVGlobalNews

'The latest objective estimate for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is between $3.7 trillion and $4.4 trillion, according to the research project "Costs of War" by Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies. Prominent American economist Joseph E. Stiglitz put the total cost to the United States of the Iraq war at $3 trillion dollars in 2008. In September 2010 he said that our estimate "was if anything too low." The United States is to spend more than $6 billion in Iraq in 2012 even though its forces are to withdraw from the country by the end of this year.'

21st Century Industrial Complexes - Part 1: Fascism and the Führer™ Brands of Corporatism
Richard Sawyer | 11 Jun 2013 | Sott.net

Credit: Sott.net

'...
The merger of State and corporate interests has never been more apparent in the US and Western 'democracies' of today. Nefarious bilateral relationships within government and corporations syphon wealth for personal interest and as such is not distributed equally to society as a whole. Well, let's get real here: wealth has never been distributed equally, but the rate of distribution, measured in terms of real wages and other socio-economic indicators, has been steadily worsening since the 1960s at least. The fabled notion of the 'trickle down effect' is used to justify rampant global corporate expansion and is quite rightly satirised as a 'trickle-on' effect for a majority that has seen its share of wealth and standards of living deteriorate. Conglomerates influence legislation that is favourable to their private interests through political contributions and political support, hiring powerful and well-funded lobby groups, and taking advantage of weak - often deliberately weakened - regulatory oversight of industry.
...'

Related: Psychopathic Kyriarchy - Our Rulers Really Are Unempathic Predators

Related: Booz Allen sucking on the public teet

Related: How the cold war spawned the environmental movement
"And you thought the first environmentalists were muesli-eating, sandal-wearing hippies? Far from it. Before them was a generation of scary Dr Strangelove types, "scientists, military leaders and politicians who believed they would have to manipulate and exploit nature" in a war against the Soviet Union. The original doom-mongers were not sounding the alarm; they were riding into battle."

Related: US Senate bill cuts $4 billion from food stamp program

See: SIPRI

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following pertains to the US; however, this idea could easily be duplicated in other countries like Canada. Higher education used to be free for millions of Americans. A transaction tax on the financial houses would make it free again. Or better yet - a drastic cut in wasteful spending on death, spying and destruction! Dismantling the MIC would be a welcome start.

US student loan interest rate doubles
Zac Corrigan | 2 July 2013 | WSW

'The interest rate on subsidized Stafford loans doubled on Monday, rising from 3.4 percent to 6.8 percent. Stafford loans are federal loans available to US college students who can’t pay out of pocket for higher education. Under the present system, Congress sets the interest rate on these loans annually. Last summer, during the presidential campaign, Democrats and Republicans agreed to keep the 3.4 percent rate in place for one year. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan called this an “election-year fluke.” Congress then set rates to double automatically for 2013 unless they intervened before the deadline, which didn’t happen.

Subsidized Stafford loans, which account for one third of government aid to college students, do not begin to accrue interest until the borrower leaves school. They are aimed at students most in need of financial assistance. If rates remain at 6.8 percent, it is estimated that a typical borrower will pay $1,000 more over the duration of his or her loans. With more than 7 million students projected to take out subsidized Stafford loans for the upcoming school year, this would immediately result in an extra $7 billion paid out by the neediest student borrowers.
...'

Related: Why Have Student Loans At All? Let's Get the Burdens of Debt off College Students' Backs -- And Make Wall St. Pick Up the Tab

Related: British government planning privatisation of student loan debt

RedMahna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are definitely other things to spend money on in our country and in many countries, actually. just no will by the politicos, and i find that questionable.

Crumbling infrastructure i think is largely being ignored. perhaps we are not to be getting any new roads and bridges, upgraded or otherwise?

Power grid is a geriatric system. Water mains, dams, levy systems, dead lakes, and entire water basins need to be addressed.

But you know those pesky food stamps and medicare and an assortment of other public entitlements get in the way... personally, i would find something for everyone to do in exchange for free money, even some simple things for those who have kids to babysit all day. hey, that's what the internet is for, you know - you can actually work from home now.

so, why wouldn't i be forcing the 1% to pay for all that fixing up of america (or whatever country)? well, i think the so-called "wealthy" have "left the building." they have taken their moolah off the books. in the event we can re-book 'em, then i do expect them to help out... meantime, perhaps we can just refuse their goods. (takes a lot of discipline from first-worlders to quit buying stuff, though.) meantime, somebody has to work. and there really is plenty to do to fix things, physically, structurally, and various other ways.

maybe even start with the school system. we are still doing the assembly-line thing there...

but more money is not so much needed as the will to move people from "non-work status" to workforce on things that matter, like infrastructure...

so, one has to SERIOUSLY question why a nation isn't renewing critical infrastructure, and the excuse of money is not a real excuse.

then what is the real excuse? the definite disintegration which will follow? or are we no longer going to be doing things the ways we were? might there be a new type of infrastructure to replace the various current systems in place? or none at all (besides surveillence)?

still i cannot buy into left/right, the "sharing&caring" vs greedy cheapskates, and that stupid meme we've been fed about political gridlock. there is a plan outside of all that bullshit sandwich and it ain't short-sightedness.

red

RedMahna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes, though, i wonder why i even care. and if i had to answer honestly, maybe it's b/c i am not the one making gazillions. i already know i cannot save the world from its misery. so it must be my own insecurity of place on the foodchain, which is not very high.

red

Continuity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thoughts are the same as ones I have often had... I must admit that the way that things are done in some Euro countries impresses me still. Countries like Germany and the Scandinavians seem to have good ideas still on how to run things fairly in a social way...

Cat Haiku
RedMahna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was typing a huge diatribe and decided to just say, i am tired of all the noise since so much of it is far less creative than advertised.

add to that, everyone around me is a form of zombie leach, with very few exceptions. and i am supposed to be the disabled one who needs help, yet ppl think there is still a little more goodies left they can suck out of me.

that's why i don't normally seem too sympathetic to most of the world's ppl whining out there (esp in USA)... most of them brought it upon themselves. i see it with my very own eyes and even hear about it from family members abroad. today's avg mid-class adult/teen/child is immensely SPOILED, irresponsible, and ungrateful!!

add all that together, and i figure, not much hope for the world!! Shocked

red

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Hereby Resign in Protest from the Military-Industrial Complex, Effective Immediately
Brandon Toy | July 22, 2013 | Alternet

I was only a foot soldier, and am now a low level clerk. However, I have always believed that if every foot soldier threw down his rifle war would end. I hereby throw mine down.

'I have served the post-911 Military Industrial complex for 10 years, first as a soldier in Baghdad, and now as a defense contractor.

At the time of my enlistment, I believed in the cause. I was ignorant, naïve, and misled. The narrative, professed by the state, and echoed by the mainstream press, has proven false and criminal. We have become what I thought we were fighting against.

Recent revelations by fearless journalists of war crimes including counterinsurgency “dirty” wars, drone terrorism, the suspension of due process, torture, mass surveillance, and widespread regulatory capture have shed light on the true nature of the current US Government. I encourage you to read more about these topics at the links I have provided below.
...'

Related: MI5 Hiring Industrial Espionage IT Support Staff

Related: Shocking 'Extermination' Fantasies By the People Running America's Empire on Full Display at Aspen Summit
Quote from a jack-booted war monger: Following the gales of cheering that resounded from the room, Mattis, the gruff 40-year Marine veteran who once volunteered his opinion that “it’s fun to shoot some people,” outlined the challenge ahead. The “war on terror” that began on 9/11 has no discernable end, he said, likening it to the “the constant skirmishing between [the US cavalry] and the Indians” during the genocidal Indian Wars of the 19th century.

“The skirmishing will go on likely for a generation,” Mattis declared.

That traitorous cockroach Bush and his cronies really should be dragged back into the spotlight to account for their direct involvement in treason, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Related: Want to Know Who the U.S. is at War With? Sorry, That's Classified

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purveyors of death and destruction have wharehouses full of weapons, and its all gotta move! Massive clearance sale soon. Order now to get your discount!

The US terror scare
Patrick Martin | 5 August 2013 | WSW

'The latest in a long series of US terror scares since the September 11, 2001 attacks has unfolded over the last three days, following a well-worn pattern.

Top officials of the executive branch issue vague and ominous alerts. Congressional leaders, after closed-door briefings by the intelligence agencies, echo the warnings. The media amplifies the alarm uncritically, seeking to stampede the public. Not a single voice is raised to question the claims or essential premises of the scare campaign. A number of questions are raised by the global travel alert and closure of US diplomatic facilities throughout the Middle East announced on Friday.

First, there is the timing of the measures. They come after nearly two months of nonstop revelations about massive US government spying on the American people, including the collection of both metadata and the content of the telephone conversations and e-mail of virtually every person in the United States.

The US media has played its usual reprehensible role, lining up to uncritically report the government’s claims as fact and promote an atmosphere of anxiety. There was not the slightest hint that previous such alerts have proven to be baseless, and no reference to the government’s record of lying to the people—from the lies used to justify the invasion of Iraq to the lies from Obama administration officials about NSA spying.

Moreover, there are sections of the American state and intelligence apparatus that would see such attacks as an opportunity for expanding their operations both at home and abroad and accumulating ever-greater resources. The US government has ample means at its disposal to engineer such a provocation. It is a well-established but little-reported fact that virtually every terrorist attack or attempted attack in the United States from September 11, 2001 to last April’s Boston Marathon bombing was carried out by individuals who were either acting in collaboration with US government agents or had been under police/intelligence surveillance.

There have been frequent comments in the American media over the past several months, particularly in the wake of the NSA revelations, that a major new terrorist attack might provide the impetus for a sudden reversal in public hostility to the growing power of the military-intelligence complex. In this view, the United States is “one terrorist attack away from martial law.”

The model for this, as in much of the buildup of military-police power in America, is Hitler’s Germany. It was the 1933 Reichstag Fire—a supposed terrorist attack on the parliament building by a communist worker—that provided the pretext for Hitler’s assumption of dictatorial powers. It was later proven that the attack was organized and directed by the Nazi Gestapo. There are, of course, significant differences between America in 2013 and Germany in 1933. But the extreme social antagonisms that drove German capitalism to resort to the Nazis to suppress the working class are being reproduced within the United States today. Nowhere in the world is the social gulf between the ruling elite and the vast majority of working people so acute as in America.
...'

RedMahna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it occured to me as i'm sure to many that the latest closings of our presence abroad (permanently would be good perhaps) might be to reinforce our need for NSA spying... just too much of a coincidence after peach-fuzz dude's exposing of not-sure-what that we didn't already know.

what kills me is the secrecy behind all this in-your-face wide-openness of it all. i feel like the universe is looking at itself in front of a carnival mirror. a fuzzy reality at best.

red

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Red!

Syria chemical warfare claims aim to provoke Western intervention
Bill Van Auken | 22 August 2013 | WSW

"The unsubstantiated charges that the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad carried out a chemical weapons attack outside Damascus killing large numbers of civilians have all the hallmarks of a staged provocation aimed at provoking Western intervention.

Reports of the attack were made by Western-backed opponents of the Assad regime early Wednesday, just as a United Nations chemical weapons inspection team, admitted to Syria by the government just 72 hours earlier, began its work.

Indeed, according to the opposition sources reporting the chemical weapons attacks, they took place in Eastern Ghouta in the eastern suburbs of Damascus, just a few miles from where the UN inspection team is headquartered.

Initial contradictory reports of the alleged attack put the number of victims at as few as 20 and as many as 1,300.

Why the Assad regime should choose such a moment to launch large-scale chemical attacks—under the noses of the UN inspectors—and what motive he would have for doing so, under conditions in which his military has been inflicting a series of defeats on the US-backed “rebels,” has not been explained in any of the extensive media coverage of these unverified allegations.

Nonetheless, the US and its NATO allies, the principal supporters of the bloody war for regime change in Syria, lost no time in issuing condemnations and demanding an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council, which convened behind closed doors in New York Wednesday afternoon.
...'

RedMahna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno for sure who did what and ran... except that we who are at the receiving end of reports have always tried to discern what is true or not, but i imagine even within the networks involved in operating all these things, most of them have limited facts relating only to what they need to be doing at the moment.

i feel sad for the citizens who are just hoping for stability in daily life.

red

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: