FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Potential of Thorium?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
hawkwind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: The Potential of Thorium? Reply with quote

This is a fascinating look at the potential of thorium reactors to replace current nuclear energy technology and the possible advantages of its by products. Well documented and sourced ... this needs our attention! Idea

- Hawk Question

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Hawk - this technology looks promising. Compared to a nuclear reactor a thorium reactor is different. And, on paper at least, this radical new technology could be the key to unlocking a new generation of clean and safe nuclear power. It could prove the circuit-breaker to the two most intractable problems of the 21st century: our insatiable thirst for energy, and the warming (if we believe that) of the world's climate. Safer, cheaper and greener!

Right now, thorium is so "worthless" that the US government buried 3200 metric tonnes of it in the Nevada desert due to lack of demand.

Photo: In China, the Atomic Energy of Canada Limited and a clutch of Chinese outfits began an effort in mid-2009 to
use thorium as fuel in nuclear reactors in Qinshan, China.
Credit: Wikipedia

I saw a few headlines on this topic months ago like:

PowerPedia:Thorium Reactors

Mr Jiang estimates that China has enough thorium to power its electricity needs for "20,000 years"

Liquid fuel molten salt thorium reactors

India's thorium-based nuclear dream inches closer

Norway Begins Four Year Test Of Thorium Nuclear Reactor

Is Thorium the Biggest Energy Breakthrough Since Fire?

China announces thorium reactor energy program, Obama still dwelling on “Sputnik moments”

Thorium Power Canada Inc. Announces Plans to Develop a New Breed of Reliable Energy

Q&A: Thorium Reactor Designer Ratan Kumar Sinha (2008)

New age nuclear (2006)

James D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant video Hawkwind - really interesting! Well worth the watch.
He's very good at getting the information across and highly entertaining!

@1:01:15 - (on saving Bill Gates lots of money he's wasting on another version) -

>"He won't return my calls"

>"Don't feel bad"
Laughing
RedMahna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting, Hawk! sharing!

red

RedMahna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must add, also... it seems from what i understand at the beginning when the guy is talking to a couple greenie types, that actually the sustainability crowd is NOT interested in this being pursued because it would cause our over-production lifestyles to continue.

well, then i am at a loss as to what the greenie people want out of this life regarding the world. if it's a slow-down of production, i would say we are already seeing that in the USA. why bitch about unemployment in that case? or about anything that has slowed down progress anywhere in the world?

what is the imaginary paradise they seek? anyone know?

if it's to bring up standards globally, well, not everyone wants the western style, as evidenced by current middle-eastern wars. we go there in pursuit of lord knows what, dispose of puppet dictators that actually kept the extreme factions from killing each other, and christen it democracy.

we shit on the African-Americans stateside while giving them the right to vote. they've seen every other nationality come along and do better. we give illegal immigrants work and benefits. we ship labor abroad to the new slave-sets.

we claim big business isn't interested in investing in green energy when i have read that the largest banks have been financing it by $100's of billions... even Walmart has been getting solar panels installed.

there is something not being revealed in all this. i say there is a deliberate scaling back going on for some reason under the guise of crappy economy.

red

hawkwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedMahna wrote:
i must add, also... it seems from what i understand at the beginning when the guy is talking to a couple greenie types, that actually the sustainability crowd is NOT interested in this being pursued because it would cause our over-production lifestyles to continue.

well, then i am at a loss as to what the greenie people want out of this life regarding the world. if it's a slow-down of production, i would say we are already seeing that in the USA. why bitch about unemployment in that case? or about anything that has slowed down progress anywhere in the world?

what is the imaginary paradise they seek? anyone know?

if it's to bring up standards globally, well, not everyone wants the western style, as evidenced by current middle-eastern wars. we go there in pursuit of lord knows what, dispose of puppet dictators that actually kept the extreme factions from killing each other, and christen it democracy.

we shit on the African-Americans stateside while giving them the right to vote. they've seen every other nationality come along and do better. we give illegal immigrants work and benefits. we ship labor abroad to the new slave-sets.

we claim big business isn't interested in investing in green energy when i have read that the largest banks have been financing it by $100's of billions... even Walmart has been getting solar panels installed.

there is something not being revealed in all this. i say there is a deliberate scaling back going on for some reason under the guise of crappy economy.

red

Good questions red. I was born into a "western" lifestyle and other than a few short term exposures to other ways to live ... I prefer to live in the lifestyle I know. The "green" people are baffling in their opinions but I don't spend time with trying to decipher the bullshit. I think that some people get involved in "causes" because they see them as accessories or fashion trends ... sad but not worth too much thought ...

- Hawk

RedMahna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good questions red. I was born into a "western" lifestyle and other than a few short term exposures to other ways to live ... I prefer to live in the lifestyle I know. The "green" people are baffling in their opinions but I don't spend time with trying to decipher the bullshit. I think that some people get involved in "causes" because they see them as accessories or fashion trends ... sad but not worth too much thought ...

- Hawk

Thanks man, i prolly need to get a life instead of thinking so much. Smile

But, yeah, still lots of people emigrating to the US that have different cultures not like ours. And i guess i should say i am one of those with different cultural background, though born here in the states, having been raised by Hungarian grandparents. I had school friends mainly foreign-born or 1st Gen. I found the family dynamic for Americans very loose or disorganized comparitively... what we might call "liberal" but what i call too permissive or lenient with social issues, education, and money. (Social issues, like young girls staying out late unsupervised or dressed inappropriately... imagine that being a concern? Sounds sexist, doesn't it? I don't think so... I must be weird.)

And no offense to green people, really. I don't think being wasteful is good practice for anybody. So I have no problems with any of that. The snobbery I do not like. The self-importance of being self-less... ugh, I must write a book with that title!!! Of course, you're right. A lot of it is fashion or other merchandise-driven. A grand majority of it is lifestyle altogether, from image-hyped locale selling to specific college degrees and job positions. Hey, whatever... If I was just entering college, I would likely take a science degree concerning today's job market trends too. Smile

C'est la vie!!!
Cool

red

hawkwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedMahna wrote:

Thanks man, i prolly need to get a life instead of thinking so much. Smile

Don't do that dude ... better to over think than not enough! Wink

You just have to remember when a topic is based on beliefs ... all bets are off for a logical conversation. I can give you hundreds of examples but I think you get what I'm saying ... Laughing

- Hawk

RedMahna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Hawkwind!

seriously, tho... i posted this on FB and i know the certain ones who would have been interested in it (whom are connected to the movement & the city) would have cheered loudly were this Thorium business in their realm of solutions.

that's how i know it is NOT.

Smile
red

James D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting too and vaguely related -

Graphene supercapacitors could make batteries obsolete
http://boingboing.net/2013/02/21/graphene-supercapacitors-could.html

(and the video's only 3;33 mins long!)

Have I seen something about batteries posted somewhere else on another thread?
Continuity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James D wrote:
This is interesting too and vaguely related -

Yeah, supercaps will be v. handy things indeed when decent spec ones start appearing on the market. Cool

James D wrote:
Have I seen something about batteries posted somewhere else on another thread?

IDK about that, but I remember there was a very entertainingly robust discussion about nuclear power a few years ago here on BFN between John Muir and yourself, amongst others. Wink (I wonder whatever became of Hocus Locus? - I really liked his/her posts.)

Cat Haiku
RedMahna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is awesome, James D.

Why can't the media focus more on things like this being invented rather than all that effing political misery??

Made my day!

red

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: