FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Sonic Boom! ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
obitom kenobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Sonic Boom! ??? Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17697328

Typhoon sonic boom behind mysterious bang reports - MoD

A loud bang which sparked a deluge of calls to emergency services across a large part of England was a sonic boom from a Typhoon aircraft, the MoD said.

Mystified residents across the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire reported hearing a loud boom at about 18:10 BST.

The MoD revealed it was from a Typhoon responding to an emergency call.

A Coventry resident called Gary said: "I thought somebody had thrown a brick at the house."

He added: "When I went out there were quite a few people in the street wondering what it was."

A sonic boom is created as an aircraft breaks the sound barrier, causing a high-energy shockwave.

The Ministry of Defence initially said it was investigating what was behind the loud noise, but a spokesman later confirmed it was from one of two RAF Typhoons that had been launched following an emergency call from a helicopter.

The MoD said the Typhoons, from the Quick Reaction Alert (QRA), based at RAF Conningsby in Lincolnshire, were scrambled and authorised to go supersonic after the small civilian helicopter had emitted an emergency signal.

It said the aircraft were already on their way to the helicopter by the time the helicopter pilot realised he was transmitting on the wrong frequency and switched to the correct one.

"There was no actual threat to the civilian aircraft and they soon rectified their mistake," a spokesman added.

Richard Coglan, who was in Bath at the time of the incident, said: We saw the Eurofighter [Typhoon] circle the helicopter at very slow speed using full thrust just to stay up.

"The helicopter was a small one and totally dwarfed by the typhoon we thought it was filming the Typhoon."

"It was doing really tight, slow circles and it suddenly put on full power and the noise was unbelievable”
Terry Organ
Bath

Before the MoD explained the cause, a number of organisations said they were investigating the origin of the sound.

Among them were Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service, which received a flood of calls, and the British Geological Survey.

Avon and Somerset Police also said they had received reports of a loud bang in the area.

Some of those who heard it said the sound lasted a few seconds.

Tom Sykes, from Highworth, Wiltshire, said: "I was sat at my desk doing some work and it felt like someone had put up a massive bass speaker at my feet.

"I'm sure that they didn't move up in the air but they felt like they were with the vibration. I thought the window had come in."

Terry Organ, from Oldfield Park, Bath, said he saw the Typhoon.

"I thought [the sound] was a commercial airliner and then I thought 'no way'," he said.

"We watched for a while and then we saw this aircraft appear and it was a Typhoon but it was flying amazingly slow and we thought it was going to come down.
'Shook the building'

"It was doing really tight, slow circles and it suddenly put on full power and the noise was unbelievable, it was really blasting it out, and then it moved a bit further on and it did another slow turn.

"My impression was that it was struggling to stay up but then he put on full power again and you just couldn't hear anything.

"The noise was terrific, I imagine you could hear it for miles."

Another person who reported hearing the boom, who gave his name as Dave, from Warwick, described the sound as "like sitting on a hard shoulder and a big lorry going past".

"It shook the building and the windows popped," he added.

It is the second time this year that a sonic boom has been created by a Typhoon aircraft.

In January, the MoD confirmed that a loud noise heard by people across the north of England was caused by an RAF fighter jet breaking the sound barrier."

End of BBC article.

This alleged 'sonic boom' was heard as far away as Leicestershire, over 160km (100 miles, in the old tongue) from Bath. Is this possible??

"On Thursday 12th April 2012, at approximately 6:10pm, a Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft broke the sound barrier, after flying twice the speed of sound, causing the Sonic boom. The sound was described as a very loud 'bang', which lead to a surreal mystery as to what caused the noise. The Ministry of Defence released a statement to confirm that, in fact the 'bang' that was heard from Lutterworth, Rugby, Coventry, Southam, Leamington Spa and Banbury was a Sonic boom. The distance between Bath and Coventry being more than 90 miles, and the Typhoon's maximum speed at sea level thought to be 1.2 mach has led to speculation about the credibility of the official explanation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

Why are these reports coming from a localised area, "Lutterworth, Rugby, Coventry, Southam, Leamington Spa and Banbury" ?? They're all within 50miles of Leicester. In fact from these reports the epicentre is near 'Royal' Lemington Spa.

It smells like a fish left in the sun for a week.

Peace.

Southpark Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obitom - here off the coast of Nova Scotia we just had a 4.sumthin earthquake:

CTV Atlantic

Date: Thursday Apr. 12, 2012 10:20 AM ET

Earthquakes Canada says a magnitude 4.0 quake struck 178 km south-southwest of Shelburne, Nova Scotia, at 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

Kind of a strange for this area. There is a fault line that cuts Manhattan in two and comes up through New Brunswick. We have very little seismic activity here in NS. We do have a pile of natural gas offshore (the octane levels are so high, they do not refine it). Maybe a 'natural' disaster in the works to raise the tanking price of natural gas? Maybe something as mundane as distracti9ng Canadians away from the F-35 jet fighter (gov wants to buy 65 jets/low balled price by maybe +15-30billion and got caught) debacle? Who knows?

This is in concert with the cluster of recent earthquakes worldwide, and in the past 48 hrs. Even the USGS is asking - are these natural or manmade?

Just tossing that into your article.

Ah waves/electrons again Raphael i2 = j2 = k2 = ijk = -1

You hear the boom the whole time the aircraft is supersonic. It is a shockwave that travels with the aircraft (in front of the aircraft/not unlike kicking up a bunch of positive electrons when you walk across some plane/floor and got shocked when you touched the door knob) until it goes subsonic. A sonic boom is not a one-time, stationary thing.

Once the aircraft exceeds Mach 1, the boom starts, and travels along with the aircraft until it goes below Mach 1 again, at which point it ceases. During the time the aircraft is supersonic, the boom will exist no matter how much faster than Mach 1 it travels.

Sonic booms appear to be instantaneous only because you hear it only when it passes you. Someone else farther down the aircraft's path will hear it after you do. If you removed your helmet while blasting along, you would hear the painful sonic boom.

The stealth tech/stealth jet, has all of its forward areas heavily doped with materials that generate high levels of + 'charge/wave'. While at the tail (at just the right distance behind) a - 'charge/wave' is created. Once the aircraft gets going, it utilises a form of a free energy system. Push/pull, repel etc..whatever you want to call it. Add internal ionic propulsion (high frequency excitation/plasma motors) to the mix and it gets even better...

Last edited by Southpark Fan on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
obitom kenobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-ha! then this would make sense - the flightpath from RAF Conningsby in Lincolnshire would go over all of the areas mentioned in the BBC article.

Maybe not so fishy! Thanks

IronClad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWGLAAYdbbc

Check your sound level first.

Nothing left to chance after 9/11?

There were a number of helicopters circling the towers, were there not.
obitom kenobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ironclad, good video =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: