FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Canada's new Green Party leader was head of Sierra Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Canada's new Green Party leader was head of Sierra Club Reply with quote

It seems that the Green Party in Canada is starting to get some attention in the media. The past few National Elections, the party was NOT permitted to take part in the televised debates even though they had national representation.

As of yesterday, the new leader of the Green Party is Elizabeth May, a former head of the Sierra Club of Canada.

Anyone done any deep research into the Sierra Club? I've only run across some questionable info, and when I browse their site, it just confirmed my suspicions.

Quote:
May wins vote to lead Greens
Environmental activist who favours pullout from NAFTA beats deputy party leader Chernushenko
Aug. 27, 2006. 01:00 AM
SUSAN DELACOURT
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

OTTAWA—The new Green Party of Canada leader is Elizabeth May, a firebrand environmental activist who is promising to haul the party into the same public spotlight where she's spent much of her high-profile career.

May won with 65 per cent of more than 3,200 ballots cast across Canada, over deputy party leader David Chernushenko.

She immediately launched her leadership with strong salvos against the United States, where she was born, and the Conservative government's cosiness with the U.S. president.

She also is vowing that Canadians could see some kind of "parliamentary presence" of the Green party as soon as the Commons returns next month, through the help of some Green-friendly senators and possibly some MPs.

"I'm expecting that when the House returns on Sept. 18, you'll already notice a difference, in that the Green party will be present and effective in parliamentary democracy, even before we win a seat in the next election," she told reporters.

May had one senator among her campaign team, Manitoba's Mira Spivak, but the new Green leader appeared to be signalling yesterday that she would be recruiting other allies already in Parliament to speak for the Greens until they can win their own seats there.

She wouldn't elaborate on how that was going to happen, but May has proved to have a knack for publicity and networking with people of influence, so few will be surprised to see the Greens' voice more amplified in the halls of power.

"It should not go without notice, gentlemen and ladies of the press, that the upholstery in the House of Commons is already green," she said.

"And we are the only party that matches the upholstery."

The Green party voted in favour of pulling out of the North American Free Trade Agreement at its convention this weekend and May bluntly declared it was because the agreement is no longer working for Canada's best interests, especially on softwood lumber.

"The government of Canada under (Prime Minister) Stephen Harper has just signalled if you push us hard enough, we'll finally say uncle," May said, to wild cheers from delegates at the leadership convention in Ottawa.

The Harper government is in the midst of concluding a softwood-lumber agreement with the United States that was met with controversy by the industry in Canada because it allows the U.S. to keep a share of duties it collected in violation of repeated NAFTA rulings.

May said it's clear now NAFTA has become a "one-way ratchet down on labour rights and the environment" for Canada.

Similarly, she says Canadians have to start speaking up more against the policies of George W. Bush's administration, with which Harper has been trying to cultivate more friendly ties.

"The reality is that policies of the U.S. president imperil us here," May said.

The first likely test of the new Green party leader will come shortly, when the Harper government unveils its much-awaited "made in Canada" environmental plan.

In an interview yesterday, May said she sat down with Environment Minister Rona Ambrose many months ago, before deciding to enter the Green party leadership, and advised Ambrose to follow the example of former prime minister Brian Mulroney's "green plan."

May's mildly encouraged that the Harper government seems to be talking about "Green Plan Two," and is even willing to take some credit for inspiring that idea. But to reporters yesterday, she said she has doubts about this government's commitment to the environment.

"If Mr. Harper gets it and actually puts forward a workable plan... I will celebrate it. I'm afraid to say I do not expect it. I expect Harper's made-in-Canada plan to be made in Houston," May said.

She also had some strong words for Harper's governing style overall.

"My impression of Mr. Harper is that he is a man who takes primarily his own counsel. I think it's dangerous. I think he's a person who rules with one-person rule within his government, approving every single speech that any of his ministers give. I lived and worked in Ottawa for two decades and I've never seen anything like it. It's repressive and it's not healthy and I would urge Mr. Harper to open up and listen to other people."

May, a former head of the Sierra Club of Canada, has been a long-time champion of environmental causes but she's a newcomer to the Green party. She worked for the Conservatives, in fact, in the late 1980s, and made a splash last spring when she paid public tribute to Mulroney as the "greenest" prime minister at a big award dinner in Ottawa, attended by Harper.

Her victory signals how badly the Green party is looking for clout, influence and an electoral breakthrough. The leadership had mainly been a contest between May and Chernushenko. The two had almost no policy differences, except on NAFTA; the race came down to a question about what was the best winning formula for the Greens.

May's panache won out over Chernushenko's organizational clout, even though he was the candidate apparently with more money and contributors.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156630230977&call_pageid=968332188492

Because of this connection, I bet we will start to see the rise of this party in the MSM, as a viable alternative. Another managed entity? We will see.
aspectus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan Dunne AKA Nude Infant
The larger a society or confederacy, the greater the amalgamation of collective factors - which is typical of every large organization - the more aggravated the moral and spiritual degeneration of the individual. - Carl Gustav Jung

Last edited by aspectus on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
marbles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a member of the green party. Two things I learned there is hypocrasy at all levels of politics and if we are to change the world it has to be done differently than the same way we've been trying all these years. it has to be diferent all together.
If we start by raising intelligent children without birth trama that they cary throughout their lives and without television it alters a developing brain.
www.birthintobeing.com
http://www.atlc.org/
http://www.thewellspring.com/cat/adult_books/magical_child.html
Joseph Pearce is an amazing writer. highly recomended.

Sherdog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like steven harper...the way he got into power and the way he's running Canada seems reminiscent of how Bush is running America

Harper seemed to use his Christianity as means to get more votes and he's been very pro war in support of the war on Middle East...
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aspectus,

It's nice to see a fellow Canadian thats awake. (At least my "Canadian-centric" posts aren't going unnoticed! Wink )

Check out Mays site...
http://www.elizabethmay.ca/home.htm (I particularly love the fading photos in the top right... worth a thousand words?.. you bet)

I'm well aware of our phoney money situation, and actually, what I've been concerned about recently is our "apparent" sovereignty from the States (I'm beginning to believe this is all al charade as well). I'm looking for some hard proof that we are actually still 'owned' by Britain, as according to some on the web like Jordan Maxwell, the States is a British corporation... so that would make Canada and the States owned by the same people...

Every day, I see more indications that Canada is playing a bigger and bigger part in the problem, rather than the solution. It is becoming more apparent to me that the level of infiltration in the political parties is beyond what I expected... here is another one from our NDP leader...

Quote:
NDP chief says Canada can spare troops for Lebanon

Canadian Press

Montreal — Canada has the capacity to contribute as many as 1,200 soldiers to the UN mission enforcing the ceasefire in Lebanon, says NDP Leader Jack Layton.

In an interview Sunday with The Canadian Press, Mr. Layton rejected Prime Minister Stephen Harper's claim that Canada's presence in Afghanistan has stretched the country's military too thin to contribute to the Lebanon mission.

“We have the capacity, but the prime minister hasn't said so,” he said. “We have asked the Harper government to, first of all, tell the truth.”

Mr. Layton said his claims are based on an internal government document obtained through access to information laws that he said shows that Canada has military capacity to spare.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060827.wlayton0827/BNStory/National/home

Looks like Layton is going to take the phoney 'anti' posture on this issue... just to be opposed to anything Harper says... it's all staged.

http://breakfornews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664 This guy is so all over the road on common sense issues, that I think they are taking the tactic of .. "If we can get people to totally agree with him on this issue, then hell, they should agree with him on anything else he says, no matter how stupid it sounds..., thus agreeing with any NWO agenda... "
aspectus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fintan Dunne AKA Nude Infant
The larger a society or confederacy, the greater the amalgamation of collective factors - which is typical of every large organization - the more aggravated the moral and spiritual degeneration of the individual. - Carl Gustav Jung

Last edited by aspectus on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
d0ub1eth1nk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadians should be aware of these:

http://www.stopiggy.com/
This is a LIBERAL????

http://www.notacolony.ca/
Every Canadian should read this site

http://www.ndp.ca/page/4121
Pass this on
Ormond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why Do We Think That Ignatieff is so Dangerous?

For the following reasons:

His right-wing views regarding torture, the war in Iraq, and the weaponization of space.

Whoa! This guy's masquerading as a Canadian liberal?? Important things to know about these so-called new 'liberal' candidates in both the US and Canada. They're all Globalist finger puppets.

d0ub1eth1nk, I never thought I see the day when Canada's government would act like a carbon copy of the US government. That's why Canadians don't immigrate to the US, it's always been the other way around.
The US had no business invading Iraq and occupying it, but they've used that non-sequitor excuse of 911 to get enough of the public to go along. How in the world do Canadian politicians justify it to Canadians?

Quote:
When asked if the massacre of the Qana villagers (most of whom were children) motivated his long-delayed response, Ignatieff had the following to say: "It wasn't Qana. ....This is the nature of the war that's going on ...This is the kind of dirty war you're in when you have to do this and I'm not losing sleep about that.

Incredible hearing that kind of calous war jingoism coming from a Canadian politician. He sounds just like a neocon US Republican.

That notacolony.ca web site is one Americans need to see too. Not one person in a thousand here knows that the 'Big Idea' meeting took place in Waco last year, much less what it was about. Our 'leaders' are planning to merge Canada, the US , and Mexico by 2010, and down here at least, this has never been mentioned through the mainstream media most people think is their reliable news source.

d0ub1eth1nk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper and Iggy are neocons. There is no doubt about it. It would appear that Harper is already set up to be ousted, by none other than neocon number two. Canadians are less inclined to agree to any kind of military agression, even when it's spun as "peace keeping". There will be a rally in october on afghanistan, should be interesting to see how large.

Canadians were thrown for a loop as to who to vote for in the last election. I think many voted liberal in attempt to keep Harper out, which failed. Given what's happening now (Afghanistan is getting bloody), Harper is going to have a tough time holding onto any kind of support. Iggy to the rescue (say it isn't so!). But Canadians are rooted in liberal policy and quebec is even more so. I anticipate more seats moving NDP and Green in the future.

Everything will be done to try and suck us into the frey, but every day there is more awareness, books are being written like "The Vanishing Country" (Hurtig), and some powerful people are calling for pulling out of NAFTA and other entaglements.

I'm in Canada, and like much (most?) of the rest of the world, sitting here completely baffled, wondering what is America doing? All it has achieved so far is losing allies, pissing people off, gaining more debt, and (well you know the rest of the story). For an interesting perspective from outside, read these:

http://www.serendipity.li/iraqwar/which_war.htm
http://www.serendipity.li/iraqwar.htm

"In short, there were two very different wars to watch: one almost entirely military in nature (the American version) and another portrayed in unrelentingly human terms (the global version). Spain is nominally a member of the coalition, but 91% of the population here opposes the war"

"And, in a development that may have far-reaching ramifications, more and more of the placards in the marches say: BOYCOTT AMERICAN PRODUCTS."

That is starting to happen everywhere. The "cost" of the iraq war is much more than trillions. Almost everyone in the world agrees this has nothing to do with terrorism. Are the American people buying that propoganda?
Ormond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
American people buying that propoganda?

Incredibly, few Americans have a clue as to what's really going on. Most catch their only glimpse world news after work on CNN or FOX television. The media is inundated with propaganda whether news, entertainment, or commercials.

And even in 2001, I thought the fabricated "War on Terror" was just the typical propaganda for the US public, like the "war on drugs", etc. Having watched this policy adopted by every government in the West--and Russia--I realized that we're all in trouble. This is a global, corporate takeover.

Janama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"In short, there were two very different wars to watch: one almost entirely military in nature (the American version) and another portrayed in unrelentingly human terms (the global version). Spain is nominally a member of the coalition, but 91% of the population here opposes the war"

yeah - same here in Australia. A canadian comedian recently described australians as Feral Canadians. I like that. Smile

That platform of Iggy would fit perfectly with our current Liberal (think Tory/conservative) Prime Minister.
d0ub1eth1nk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ormond wrote:
This is a global, corporate takeover.

I've been thinking the same thing for some time, but I have been reading recently of more nationalization in both south america and eastern countries. It looks to me like there is DESIRE in the west for global corporate takeover, but I'm not so so sure about Russia, China, and South America (and their influences). I can't find the article I recently read, but it talked about a trend towards corporations aligning with government, I think it was talking about Russia.

Also, have you noticed that in the last while, prior to the G8 meeting, there was various articles talking about G5, G6, and bizarre things like G5 plus (some other country). I assume that the gyst of that is non agreement among the so-called G8. Those international bankers, aren't they mostly western bankers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: