FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Skin Gun

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: The Skin Gun Reply with quote

I don't see stuff this instantly amazing very often. Trying to follow up on this one.

Last edited by Rumpl4skn on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hawkwind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The SKin Gun Reply with quote

Rumpl4skn wrote:
I don't see stuff this instantly amazing very often. Trying to follow up on this one.

Now that is amazing! Idea

Thanks Rump ...

- Hawk

bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes!
That's crafty grafting.
I am greatful and honored to
be experiencing life in such amazing times.

With such advances in surgery
and also the current interest
of "alternative" health in the mainstream
---i.e. Diet B4 Drugs---,
I am optimistic that we are on our way to a happy medium.

Sorry twinkies, we just aren't that into you anymore....
Hostess Goes Bankrupt Again
http://news.yahoo.com/hostess-goes-bankrupt-again-190228071.html
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: food for thought and other empty pursuits Reply with quote

bri wrote:

Sorry twinkies, we just aren't that into you anymore....
Hostess Goes Bankrupt Again
http://news.yahoo.com/hostess-goes-bankrupt-again-190228071.html

Life imitates art and apparently, economics imitates nutrition Twisted Evil

bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times they are a changin'.

Documentaries such as this one have grown in popularity.

www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

It's about a couple of fat old blokes who
after switching to a fruit/veggie diet,
transform before your eyes.
Very inspiring,
more than just a 2 hour adversitement for juicers.

My mother is diabetic, visited with her recently and she told
me something amazing:

After making diet changes and thinking more positively,
she has been able to remove insulin medicine from her life completely.
She was told by her doctor that this would be impossible.

Sorry everyone, my mind is jumping all over the place,
back to the skin gun...

Without attempting to shit on the parade,
it is important to get alternative viewpoints.

Quote:

Is The Skin Cell Gun Real?

Compared with science-fiction results, does this device really spray-on skin or snake oil?

by ClinicalPosters.com staff

A video touting a revolutionary breakthrough is going viral. Hundreds of thousands of viewers are amazed with a miraculous device called the Skin Cell Gun. It resembles a large airbush with a compressor. Instead of spraying paint or dyes, it allegedly sprays stem cells harvested from healthy patient skin, diluted with water.

In the video, Jrge C. Gerlach of McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine asserts that burn victims can have large areas of damaged skin regenerated within a few days. Quite compelling! Is the field of regenerative medicine receiving a boost in the arm or a slap on the wrist? Is it fake or is it reality? Is it a hoax, mild exaggeration of the truth, or scientific breakthrough?

What Makes The Video Suspect?
Dramatic before-and-after National Geographic footage is shown. Or is it? Look again. Watch the video yourself and note the omission of published clinical evidence. The smooth skin of the single patient interviewed, Matthew Uram, depicts no evidence of scaring. The "before" image of second degree burns shows what the patient's "skin probably looked like before treatment." The healthy "after" footage of blemish-free skin reportedly depicts "what it looked like four days after it was sprayed with his own stem cells." The entire video is a dramatization.

The process involves spraying a wound, then it is covered with a newly-developed dressing with tubes enmeshed within it and extending from each end. One set of tubes functions as an artery, while the second set functions as a vein. The tubes are connected to an "artificial vascular system" that provide electrolytes, antibiotics, amino acids and glucose to the wound. The dressing keeps the wound clean and sterile, and provides nutrition for the skin stem cells to encourage them to regenerate new skin. [1]

Bioengineered skin substitutes are not new, and according to The National Institutes of Health resources for stem cell research, harvesting stem cells from skin is viable. "A primary goal of this work is to identify how undifferentiated stem cells become the differentiated cells that form the tissues and organs. Stem cells, directed to differentiate into specific cell types, offer the possibility of a renewable source of replacement cells and tissues to treat diseases including Alzheimer's disease, spinal cord injury, stroke, burns, heart disease, diabetes, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis." [2]

Differentiation is questioned. As candidly stated on the McGowan Institute's website, "Understanding and manipulating the complex relationship between the cells and the scaffolding materials, however, represents the great challenge for tissue engineers. What cells should be used, for example, and should the combination of cells and materials occur in vitro or in vivo?" [3] But they have been hard at work to overcome the obstacles.

Burn victims can suffer indiscriminate damage to skin, hair, fingernails, and cartilage of the ears and nose. How does this spray-on skin solution differentiate between the required cell types? What happens to the dead skin cells and damaged nerve endings? Since a normal wound can take a week or more to completely heal, [4] how far beneath the epidermis does healing take place in four days after treatment with the Skin Cell Gun? Currently, no claim is made regarding third- or fourth-degree burns as outlined in the accompanying chart.
http://clinicalposters.com/news/2011/0204-skin-cell-gun.html#5

"Though the Skin Cell Gun is still experimental, over a dozen patients have already been successfully treated" is the way the video clip ends. Compare this to over 50,000 treated with Dermagraft bioengineered skin substitute. [6] Forgive any apparent skeptisism in the absence of supporting clinical trials. [7] Unmistakably, technology is advancing. In this fascinating field of science, we await the publishing of peer-reviewed clinical studies, detailed patent accounts or substantive evidence beyond a man spraying blue water on a pane of glass. The National Geographic piece first aired Monday, February 7, 2011 at 10 p.m. [8]

Returning to the original question, Is the skin cell gun real? Apparently clinical research has been funded. There is an actual company developing the product, investigating and documenting protocols. Other companies have contributed research in the field of skin stem cells. However, this gun is not something available in every hospital or even every burn center. The video clip was a dramatization of various fields of stem cell research a foregleam of future technologies. On the horizon, perhaps by 2016, other scientists hope to print skin using a modified inkjet printer filled with skin stem cells. [9] Patiently I'll reserve enthusiasm for a more formal introduction of skin cell therapies into mainstream use.

http://clinicalposters.com/news/2011/0204-skin-cell-gun.html

http://www.mirm.pitt.edu/people/bios/Gerlach1.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_cell_gun

http://gerlach.cellnet.org/
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he's right about all the reservations one should have about the video. But the video doesn't proclaim that the device is readily available, it's quite clearly called "still experimental."

And there is a value to promoting "miracle cures" that don't exist or don't really work. It helps cloud news about real cures, such as Burzynski's cancer antineoplaston therapy.

But thank for the link.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Health All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: