FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
AIDS dissident group protests International AIDS Conference

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Toto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: AIDS dissident group protests International AIDS Conference Reply with quote

AIDS Critics Put Up Posters -
Aug 16, 2006 - Xtra Magazine Toronto - Paul Gallant

The group ACT UP Toronto - an AIDS dissident group that's not to be confused with earlier ACT UP groups that lobbied for government action on HIV/AIDS - has put up posters around the village this month, claiming that HIV does not cause AIDS.

The posters, which went up at the start of the International AIDS Conference which Toronto is hosting, appear to have been printed some time ago; the web address given is no longer in service. One poster claims "AIDS drugs are toxic" and shows pictures of people who have physical deformities allegedly caused by AIDS medications. "Don't support the corrupt AIDS industry, it's time to rethink what we know about AIDS," it reads.

The group HEAL (Health Education AIDS Liaison) Toronto has questioned the cause of AIDS and how to respond to it. Heal member Carl Strygg says he doesn't know who put up the posters. He says the group split a while back over tactics like these, with the ACT UP Toronto people going there own way.

"I can't say that the posters are really bridge-building," says Strygg. "That's not the way I like to work. That approach is why I have limited my involvement with the AIDS dissident movement. Shouting at people that HIV does not cause AIDS is not going to help somebody struggling with the illness."

Strygg says he's talked to several people attending the conference. But mostly he's not impressed by what he's heard.

"It sounds like any other AIDS conference. Lots of bluster, not many lives saved."

Toronto - http://www.healtoronto.com/actup/fabact.html
San Francisco - http://www.actupsf.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> AidsIsOver! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: