FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Nicholas Kristoff and "Reporter"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Nicholas Kristoff and "Reporter" Reply with quote

http://www.reporterfilm.com/trailer.html

No embed available. Looks interesting, will have to wait and see what slant the overall message will have. Would love Keith Harmon Snow's take on it.

Not sure the NYT is all that capable of doing a whole lotta non-corporate good. Color me skeptical. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a look

http://www.aljazeerah.info/Opinion%20editorials/2006%20Opinion%20Editorials/October/29%20o/WAKE-UP%20AND%20SMELL%20THE%20OIL%20The%20True%20Agenda%20Behind%20Relentless%20Zionist-US-EU%20Campaign%20to%20Invade%20Oil-Rich%20Darfur%20By%20Keith%20Harmon%20Snow.htm
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird timing, bri. Just got an email response from KHS, and he recommended I read that. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skinters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should read that,and become familiar with it .
bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win a Trip with Nick!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Kristof#Win_a_Trip_with_Nick_Kristof_contest

This Nick Kristof guy is looking more and more like an asshole to me.

It premiered at Sundance where sure, a few good films have been shown but aside from just personal opinions, Sundance is obviously just a wing of Hollywood, absolute fake independence. An "indie" movie has no chance of showing there these days without a big star either behind it or in the movie itself. Look who walks down the red carpets.
People like this chump, who just loves Africa.
They told him to look serious and he looks bored.
:

Affleck is Executive Producer of 'Reporter'

I smell loads of fucking bullshit.

Quote:

The UN refugee agency and actor and director Ben Affleck recently launched Gimme Shelter, an international campaign to aid those displaced by violence in the DRC. At the center of this campaign is a short film and public service announcement directed by Mr. Affleck, and shot during his recent trip to Congo. Using the Rolling Stones stirring song, Gimme Shelter, as its sound track, the film presents a powerful call to action that helping the Congolese is just a click away.

Here's a great article on Affleck, especially in the context of Nkunda and of course, Kristof's style of Indiana Jones journalism, as if he's the only person who has the balls (bollocks in the UK) to go to these places.

Quote:
Open Letter to Time Magazine on Ben Affleck and Congo

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Open-Letter-to-Time-Magazi-by-Georgianne-Nienabe-090214-536.html

By Georgianne Nienaber

(edit: She got booted from OpEd, so that gives her some credibility.)

Regarding Ben Affleck's essay on Congo, the first thing that assaults credibility is his description of the landscape as a "bucolic jungle." Eastern Congo is not a "jungle," it is forested in some areas, and it is certainly not "bucolic."

I beg to differ with Mr. Affleck, as I have just returned from the region as an independent journalist. I have been working in the region since 2004. I also happened to interview CNDP leader Laurent Nkunda a week before his detention by Rwanda. Thank you to the Huffington Post for linking to the report (s) Australian Journalist Helen Thomas and I filed from DRC.

Rwanda's forces did not "flush out" Nkunda. He went willingly to Gisenyi to meet with Kagame's representatives, where they betrayed him, and now have him under house arrest.

I am in regular contact with civilian supporters of the CNDP who are grateful that we posted our unedited interview with Nkunda on YOUTUBE.

Congolese refugees in Rwanda are demonstrating for the release of their "leader" Nkunda, but Time Magazine seems to not be reporting that fact.

If Mr. Affleck has compelling testimony from Nkunda, why does he not make it available--for free?
The fate of millions of people hangs in the balance now, and they do not have time to wait for Mr. Affleck's Hollywood documentary.

Meanwhile, there has been MORE violence in eastern DRC, as reported by Human Rights Watch, since Nkunda's detention.

I also find it comical to see the photo of Mr. Affleck being "patted down" while his "war correspondent" photographer looks on with his lens.

Two small women went in with our Nikon and Canon cameras with no problem, no patting down, and no sense of threat. We had dinner with Nkunda after the interview and met with his family.

Of course it is very "Hollywood" to gin up the reality of meeting with Nkunda to enhance the "bravery" of Affleck and his cameraman.

This is not journalism. This is a Hollywood promo--a promotion sanctioned by Time Magazine.

Doesn't this "Reporter" film seem to sex up the meeting with Nkunda quite a bit as well, at least from the trailer?

Here's more from Keith on how this HollyWood crap connects.
Keith is critical of any sympathy for Nkunda (sex'd up or not) and frankly seems to lay out the reasons quite well here.

Quote:
AMERICAS WAR IN CENTRAL AFRICA
The Pentagons Proxy War in the Eastern Congo
Published by Global Research 1 February 2009

**** Removed from the Global Research web site after Canadian
BANRO GOLD Corporation lawyers sent a threatening letter.

Also published by Dissident Voice on 23 January 2009 under the title:
BEN AFFLECK, RWANDA & CORPORATE SUSATINED CATASTROPHE
FUBAR in Central Africa

http://www.allthingspass.com/uploads/html-261AMERICAS_WAR_IN_CENTRAL_AFRICA_No_Photos.htm

Also another article which has been highlighted here before:

http://uddari.wordpress.com/2009/04/04/congo-three-cheers-for-eve-ensler-by-keith-harmon-snow/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: