FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
What's in Bottled Water?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: What's in Bottled Water? Reply with quote

No one in the PTB seem to have much of a problem with all the bottled water people are drinking, as opposed to diet sodas and other obviously more harmful liquids that would be bringing in more funds to the medical industry (and their "hypocritic" oath). Therefore...

What are FDA standards for bottled water?

Under the standard of quality, FDA allows certain levels of contaminants in bottled water.

Contaminants bottled water has in it.

1. Coliform. Coliform are rod-shaped bacteria, such as E. coli, that are normally present in the human intestine. The FDA says that bottled water may have up to 9.2 coliform organisms per 100 milliliters..

2. Arsenic. Arsenic is a poison. The FDA says that bottled water may have up to 0.05 milligrams per liter of arsenic.

3. Chloride. Chloride is a compound of chlorine, a substance used to disinfect tap water. The FDA allows up to 250.0 milligrams per liter of chloride in bottled water..

4. Iron. Iron is a metallic element. Your body needs some iron, but not too much. The FDA permits bottled water to contain up to 0.3 milligrams per liter of iron.

5. Manganese. Manganese resembles iron and is used in fertilizers. Bottled water may contain up to 0.05 milligrams per liter of manganese.

6. Phenols. Phenols are corrosive, poisonous acidic compounds. Your bottled water may contain up to 0.001 milligrams per liter of phenols.

7. Dissolved solids. Dissolved solids is a catch-all phrase. The FDA allows bottled water to contain up to 500 milligrams per liter of dissolved solids, of whatever type.

8. Zinc. Zinc is a metallic element. Your body needs some zinc, but not too much. The FDA permits bottled water to contain up to 5.0 milligrams per liter of zinc.

9. Fluoride. Fluoride is purposely added to some bottled water. If so, the label should say so. In addition, bottled water that is not labeled as containing fluoride may contain up to 2.4 milligrams per liter of fluoride.

http://www.purewatergazette.net/chlorinationfox.htm
Quote:
CHLORINATION: A LINK BETWEEN HEART DISEASE AND CANCER

by Martin Fox, Ph.D.

In many parts of the world, people suffer and die from a lack of drinking water. Fortunately, in the United States this is not the case. But, ironically, in the U.S. thousands can die from the chemicals added to the drinking water.

One of the most insidious, dangerous and harmful chemicals is chlorine--the chlorine added to most drinking water supplies.

I believe chlorine triggers the growth of abnormal cells leading to tumor development, both in athereosclerosis and cancer. The origin of heart disease is akin to the origin to cancer. Both can be linked to chlorine and the production of excess free radicals.

Dr. Joseph Price, a medical doctor, wrote a fascinating book in the late 1960's entitled, Coronaries/Cholesterol/Chlorine. He states, "The basic cause of athereosclerosis, heart attacks and most forms of strokes is chlorine. The chlorine contained in processed water."

To support this position, Dr. Price did a series of animal experiments on chickens. Within a few months, 95% of the chickens drinking chlorinated water developed athereosclerosis. To retest these results, Dr. Price divided the original control group into two groups, conducted the exact same experiment and obtained the exact same results.

Both chickens and pigeons are excellent laboratory models in the study of athereosclerosis in humans. Recently, Richard Bull of the Environmental Protection Agency studied the effects of chlorinated water on pigeons. His findings support Dr. Price's research and go a step further. Bull found pigeons given chlorinated water with diets low in calcium had serum cholesterol levels 50% greater than the unchlorinated group.

Many people are confused about cholesterol and its relationship to heart disease. Recently, the results of a 10 year government funded research project conclusively linked heart disease to serum (blood) cholesterol levels. Lowering serum cholesterol levels markedly reduces the number of fatal heart attacks. So far so good. But, 70% to 80% of all the cholesterol in our body is produced by the liver regardless of the dietary cholesterol intake. In fact, researchers have shown that serum cholesterol levels in humans are, for the most part, independent of the dietary cholesterol intake. In short, there appears to be no correlation between total dietary cholesterol intake and serum cholesterol levels.

What caused this tremendous increase in serum cholesterol levels in the pigeons? Obviously, the addition of chlorine played a central role. But what mechanism can explain how chlorine could trigger such an increase in cholesterol levels?

Each cell in the body has a nucleus which contains DNA - the chemical blueprint which determines cell replication. Cells build tissues, tissues build organs. So, if our cells are healthy, we are healthy. If they are malformed, we set the stage for illness.

Now, chlorine and other chemical compounds in our drinking water create what's called 'free radicals'. A free radical is a chemical by-product of metabolism that is "looking for an accident to happen." Free radicals behave like bullets flying indiscriminately and whatever they hit can become damaged or destroyed. If our defense mechanism, our immune system is functioning properly, we can get rid of them. But, if our immune system is overloaded with excess free radicals, like it is when we drink chlorinated water, we can have a very serious problem. Free radicals can attack the cellular blueprint, alter it, change it, to the point that cells will multiply abnormally and then we can get a lump or bump, which can appear in a blood vessel, in the breast, the prostate, the pancreas, wherever.

Chlorine causes excess free radicals. Free radicals lead to cell damage. Once the cells are damaged, we see an elevation in serum cholesterol levels, athereosclerosis, hardening of the arteries and plaque formation. Chlorine can cause all these problems related to heart disease and can also be a cause of cancer. The plaque in athereosclerosis is essentially a benign tumor in the blood vessels.

With cancer, free radicals create malignant cells. In the chlorination process itself chlorine combines with natural organic matter, such as decaying vegetation, to form potent, cancer causing trihalomethanes or haloforms. Trihalomethanes, commonly abbreviated THM's, collectively include such cancer causing agents as chloroforms, bromoforms, carbontectachloride and many others.

Although the maximum amount of THM's allowed by law is 100 ppb, a 1976 EPA study showed 31 of 112 municipal water systems exceeded this limit; that's around 30%. I wonder how many exceed this limit now. Even 100 ppb of THM's is too much. I believe we should have no more than 10 ppb of these cancer causing agents in our drinking water. The less the better. The safest approach is to have no THM's at all.

The proliferation of chemicals in our drinking water is staggering. Listen to this. In 1975, the number of chemical contaminants found in finished drinking water exceeded 300. In 1984, less than 10 years later, over 700 chemicals have been found in our drinking water. The EPA has targeted 129 as posing the greatest threat to our health. But, to date, requires only 14 to be tested to see if they are in our water!

This is risky business.

Studies in several locations throughout the U.S. revealed that high levels of haloforms or THM's in people's drinking water resulted in higher levels of cancer.

"Chlorine is so dangerous," according to biologist/chemist Dr. Herbert Schwartz, "that it should be banned." He states, "Putting chlorine in the water is like starting a time bomb. Cancer, heart trouble, premature senility, both mental and physical, are conditions attributable to chlorine, treated water supplies. It is making us grow old before our time by producing symptoms of aging such as hardening of the arteries. I believe if chlorine were now proposed for the first time to be used in drinking water, it would be banned by the Food and Drug Administration."

Drinking chlorinated water is hazardous, if not deadly, to our health. It is as simple as that. Chlorine in our drinking water creates THM's and haloforms. These potent chemical pollutants trigger the production of excess free radicals leading to cell damage. We do not wake up one morning with heart disease or cancer. These degenerative diseases take years of constant insult to injury to develop. Many doctors estimate the formation of plaque and the hardening of the arteries leading to heart disease can take 10 to 20 years, and cancer takes 20 to 30 years to develop. Day by day, we continually drink chlorinated water adding excess free radicals to our bodies which can lead to serious damage to cells and abnormal cellular growth. Eventually, enough cells are hurt and we experience the problems of heart disease and cancer. The origin of heart disease is akin to the origin of cancer. Both can have their basis in free radical dam age.

Many municipalities are experimenting with a variety of other types of disinfectants to replace chlorine or to be used in addition as a way of cutting down on the amount of chlorine added to the water. However, these chemical alternatives can be just as dangerous as chlorine.

What can we do about chlorine, THM's and other organic chemical com-pounds in our drinking water?

There are two solutions: Buy proper bottled spring water or purchase an effective filter unit.

Many filters on the market that remove chlorine, bad taste and odors from the water are not effective in removing THM's and chemical pollutants

You need to read lab reports on filters and see if the unit you are considering will really solve your water problem. Proper filter systems installed at your tap in the home and office are available. They can efficiently and effectively remove virtually all the THM's, organic chemical pollutants like TCE, PCB, etc., in addition to chlorine and still leave the beneficial minerals in the drinking water.

Chemical pollutants can be odorless and tasteless but harmful and deadly. Proper care of a filter unit can result in safe, healthy drinking water. A complete analysis of what to look for in a lab report can be found in my book, Healthy Water For A Longer Life.

In summary, if I had to recommend only one thing that every person should do with regard to their drinking water, I would say: Don't drink chlorinated water. Just this simple safeguard could save thousands from heart disease and cancer - the two major killers in the United States.

I'm just sayin'..... Confused

Last edited by Rumpl4skn on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Continuity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post, Rump. Wink

Fluoridation and chlorination - processes where two nasty elements that have been added to water for years without that much thought or actual proper research to discover if it's safe. Shocked

Cat Haiku
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Rumple. It's awful to think whats allowed to be in the bottled water, and I've been reading that the actual container can be harmful in the long run.
Dr. Mercola has a whole host of articles on the dangers of BPA that can be found in a lot of plastics including water bottles.
Here's one on plastic and sickness:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/04/27/plastics.aspx

I'm lucky that the house I rent has well water and does not have the water from the municipal water supply which seems to have a lot of chlorine in it. Unfortunately my rental will have to be moved or demolished within a year or so to make way for the development of twinhomes and I may not be so lucky when I'm forced to find a new place to live.

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the cholesterol link, but interesting none-the-less.

http://www.greanvillepost.com/?p=2725

Quote:
Chlorinated tap water is bad for you, research shows, but bottled water is no solution, either

EarthTalk
From the Editors of E/The Environmental Magazine

Dear EarthTalk: I am very concerned about the amount of chlorine in my tap water. I called my water company and they said it is safe just let the tap run for awhile to rid the smell of the chlorine. But that just gets rid of the smell, perhaps, not the chlorine? Anita Frigo, Milford, CT

<< Researchers have now linked chlorine in drinking water to higher incidences of bladder, rectal and breast cancers. A recent study found that women with breast cancer have 50-60 percent higher levels of organochlorines (chlorination by-products) in their breast tissue than cancer-free women. (Getty Images)

Thousands of American municipalities add chlorine to their drinking water to get rid of contaminants like nitrates, arsenic and pesticides. But this inexpensive and highly effective disinfectant has a dark side. Chlorine, added as an inexpensive and effective drinking water disinfectant, is also a known poison to the body, says Vanessa Lausch of filter manufacturer Aquasana. It is certainly no coincidence that chlorine gas was used with deadly effectiveness as a weapon in the First World War. The gas would severely burn the lungs and other body tissues when inhaled, and is no less powerful when ingested by mouth.

Lausch adds that researchers have now linked chlorine in drinking water to higher incidences of bladder, rectal and breast cancers. Reportedly chlorine, once in water, interacts with organic compounds to create trihalomethanes (THMs)which when ingested encourage the growth of free radicals that can destroy or damage vital cells in the body. Because so much of the water we drink ends up in the bladder and/or rectum, ingestions of THMs in drinking water are particularly damaging to these organs, says Lausch.

The link between chlorine and bladder and rectal cancers has long been known, but only recently have researchers found a link between common chlorine disinfectant and breast cancer, which affects one out of every eight American women.

A recent study conducted in Hartford, Connecticut found that women with breast cancer have 50-60 percent higher levels of organochlorines (chlorine by-products) in their breast tissue than cancer-free women.

But dont think that buying bottled water is any solution. Much of the bottled water for sale in the U.S. comes from public municipal water sources that are often treated with, you guessed it, chlorine. A few cities have switched over to other means of disinfecting their water supplies. Las Vegas, for example, has followed the lead of many European and Canadian cities in switching over to harmless ozone instead of chlorine to disinfect its municipal water supply.

As for getting rid of the chlorine that your city or town adds to its drinking water on your own, theories abound. Some swear by the method of letting their water sit for 24 hours so that the chlorine in the glass or pitcher will off-gas. Letting the tap run for a while is not likely to remove any sizable portion of chlorine, unless one were to then let the water sit overnight before consuming it. Another option is a product called WaterYouWant, which looks like sugar but actually is composed of tasteless antioxidants and plant extracts. The manufacturer claims that a quick shake of the stuff removes 100 percent of the chlorine (and its odor) from a glass a tap water. A years supply of WaterYouWant retails for under $30.

(I might be the guinea pig on this one, stay tuned. - R4)

Of course, an easier way to get rid of chlorine from your tap water is by installing a carbon-based filter, which absorbs chlorine and other contaminants before they get into your glass or body. Tap-based filters from the likes of Paragon, Aquasana, Kenmore, Seagul and others remove most if not all of the chlorine in tap water, and are relatively inexpensive to boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the sales pitch for WaterYouWant.

Quote:
Ingredients:
WaterYOUwant is a select blend of powerful antioxidants consisting of vitamins and a common plant bioflavonoid (which is an antioxidant and a proven odor reducer). WaterYOUwant exhibits the power of fresh lemons without the juice or lemon taste.

All ingredients are FDA listed*.

WaterYOUwant is as safe as can be!

No soy
No egg
No MSG
No sulfur
No yeast
No starch
No wheat
No lactose
No binders
No coloring
No fragrance
No soy or wheat
No preservatives
No artificial flavors
No animal derivatives
No egg or dairy products
No bulking agents or fillers
No sucrose or any sweetener
No genetically modified ingredients
And WaterYOUwant is pH balanced!

All ingredients in WaterYOUwant are scientifically engineered, and they all are ingredients which have been consumed by billions of people for generations.

WaterYOUwant is suitable for vegetarians.

* Listed under FDA's "ASP" heading (their most favorable category) which identifies ingredients for which "fully up-to date toxicology information has been sought."

This will require more investigation. It's essentially an additive you dissolve in all water. I like the concept of an additive, because I can take it on the road to use in all my water, but... the concept of adding chemicals to anything I consume bugs me. A lot.

I think I'm also not a big fan of the phrase "safe as can be." Reminds me of that slinky that's still stuck in my epiglottis since I was 4.

I know, it's just plants and botanical stuff.... but I think you can use the same kinda stuff and make mustard gas if you want.
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting update: fresh lemon juice (with it's high level of ascorbic acid) apparently combines with chlorine to make chlorine dioxide in tap water, essentially neutralizing the chlorine.

http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-articles/chlorinated-water-the-hidden-dangers-1287783.html

So, what was that big MSM op last year? That lemons in restaurants are loaded with fecal matter.

I know several wait staff members in Nashville locales, and they tell me almost everyone has topped asking for lemons in their water now.

Mission accomplished?

(Btw, the ex-gf worked all her life as a waitress. She scoffed at that report, and said, "If they're worried about fecal matter, don't sweat the lemons, ask for 'no ice'. The damn ice bin has 10 times the bacteria, no matter how often they clean it.") Laughing
bri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumpl4skn wrote:
The damn ice bin has 10 times the bacteria, no matter how often they clean it.") Laughing

I'm fine with lemons.

I hate to pun but that may be just the tip of the "iceburg". From experience food-service wise, ironically only 'chains' seem to have any health standards. That "down-home style" grinder might have a load of bleach or name your chemical here. A place I used to work at cuts their grinders on over-bleached counters, I won't go into detail about the "homestyle" sometimes grey hamburg meat, dirty grills, or whatever fell on the floor. There's more but I wouldn't want one to lose their take-out.
Oh yeah, "cleaning the ice bin?" Yeah fuckin' right... Laughing

At least at the arches they prepare a salad without touching raw sausage first...
MichaelC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eustace Mullins and others have pointed out that fluoridation of water supplies - as is done in most US cities(?) - produces a very docile populace.

Glad that it is not allowed here in Europe.[/b]
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame they can't fluoridate the beer at junior high school football games, there'd be less berserk parents shooting each other over their kids' games.
atm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer is flouridated, Rump.

Quote:

"Beers brewed in locations with high fluoride water levels may contribute significantly to the daily fluoride intake, particularly in alcohol misusing subjects and this may contribute to alcohol-associated bone disease." - Warnakulasuriya S, et al. (2002). Fluoride content of alcoholic beverages. Clinica Chimica Acta 320: 1-4.

"Soda pop and beer bottled with fluoridated water contain 0.7 to 1 ppm fluoride; consumption of these beverages is almost certainly more variable among individuals than consumption of water... If beer contains 0.7 ppm fluoride, heavy beer-drinkers may ingest more than 4 mg daily from beer alone." - Groth, E. (1973), Two Issues of Science and Public Policy: Air Pollution Control in the San Francisco Bay Area, and Fluoridation of Community Water Supplies. Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, May 1973.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/f-sources.htm

atm (ahh)
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then it's not working, at least down here. Plenty of beer being drunk and plenty of fistfights at HS football games.

Maybe we need a good ol' Southern style beer, brewed with Valium or Prozac.
bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conn. lawmakers, activists look to limit toxins

HARTFORD, Conn. - A coalition of activists and state legislators in Connecticut is launching a new legislative campaign to reduce toxins.

The move comes after Connecticut last year became the first state to ban the chemical Bisphenol-A, BPA, from infant formula, baby food containers and a range of reusable food and drink containers.

The Coalition for a Safe and Healthy Connecticut plans to release a report Thursday that the group says will detail the medical costs of preventable chronic diseases due to chemicals. The group also plans to announce proposed policy changes.

Other state and local governments have banned BPA from being used in baby bottles. Some scientists consider BPA a health threat.

Connecticut's new law takes effect Oct. 1, 2011.

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd like to see one state ban all that stuff, particularly chlorine, and then see what the public health situation is like in 10 years.

'ere... blunt
bri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhhhh...you do want "free" "Health Care" don't you?

Stay sick. Laughing

Seriously though, hopefully this is a step in the right direction. Unfortunately BPA is just the tip of the iceberg. Here in CT, even miles out into the woods you can practically taste the diesel particles.

Just to willy nilly off/on topic here a bit...

Docs and Pharms have always been a last resort for me since I've been old enough to make my own decisions. Nobody needs to be paid money to tell me that 2+2=4.

The sore throat I have from a few much regretted shots of whiskey( for me, not the best way to celebrate "change") on Friday night followed by chain-smoking well into Saturday morning, I can confidently say is probably my own fault. Laughing

I could go get some meds for it, load up on DXM, repeat as needed. That can compromise once own defense system in the long run for obvious reasons.

In my experience most people want to be healthy or wish promote it, yet their minds are too foggy to observe the obvious.

We need to start looking at our true environment, no not just all of that pretty stuff on the nature channel that we're trying to save, or some Grand Canyon. This naturally includes what we consume, and our habits in general. The food we eat, the drugs we take.
The water we drink.

http://www.waterfiltering.com/bottled-water/bpa-bottled-water.html
atm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Thailand; you can taste the techno in the water.

atm Embarassed Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Health All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: