FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
My Favorite Year (Without Glue)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
puffdaddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True!! Many, many things go on in each part of the gut.
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The No Glue diet is a direct response to the problems we have with our food supply since the agricultural revolution. Here's a great explanation of the Paleolithic Diet.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EddieT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy who made that video has a blog:

http://paynowlivelater.blogspot.com/

one of the new popular paleo blogs out there is this one, by Dr. Kurt Harris, and he certainly is no fan of gluten:

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/12/28/avoid-poison-or-neutralize-it.html

I think most people assume typical "paleo" is lean meat and complete avoidance of dairy, but I would say that a high fraction of paleo advocates eat lots of fat and lots of dairy, especially high fat/low carb dairy like butter, cream and cheese. Personally, I've got about a stick of butter a day habit, and I've never felt better.

EddieT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colbert learns about paleo from John Durant (3rd segment):

http://www.colbertnation.com/full-episodes/wed-february-3-2010-peter-cove--john-durant

I'm on board with it all except paleo thoughts on dairy. I think RAW milk and other unpasteurized dairy products are definitely OK, provided you don't eat gluten. I reserve the right to change my opinion on this though Smile

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own, obviously, but for me - the greatest increase in wellness (and decreased appetite and subsequent weight loss) I experienced was from dropping all dairy. And my roommate has had the same experience. But it's likely that in most people it does the most damage to the system between infancy and adulthood.

I do recommend it highly, however, to anyone with a fore-stomach. Smile

I do eat plenty of butter, but only Ghee (clarified) butter that is devoid of casein. It's the stuff they give you top dip your lobster tail in. For those of us who can remember back to when they made enough money to eat lobster tail, that is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EddieT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly recommended paleolithic nutrition site I came across lately:

http://www.paleonu.com/

Dr. Kurt Harris lays out his 12 steps to improved health:
Quote:

1 Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all flour

2 Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats to substitute fat calories for carb calories. Drink whole cream or half and half instead of milk.

3 Eliminate grains

4 Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Cook with butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

5 Get daily midday sun or take 4-8000 iu vit D daily

6 Intermittent fasting and infrequent meals (2 meals a day is best)

7 Fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

8 Eliminate legumes

9 Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison avoids excess O-6 fatty acids and are better than supplementing with 0-3 supplements.

10 Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions

11 Eliminate milk (if you are sensitive to it, move this up the list

12 Eliminate other dairy including cheese- (now you are "orthodox paleolithic")

The 12 steps and a more complete explanation can be found here:

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

I've been reading a ton from this site over the last week...has some great info.

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathy wrote:
Recently I was told that a niece was diagnosed as being allergic to gluten but not to wheat Shocked

Kinda like your doctor telling you to avoid sex, but you can still continue to fuck. Laughing

I have an odd "deaf ears" situation myself. One of my brothers - who is now on 4 major meds - has been trying to go GFCF now, and his wife is the resistance. Old school Italian, cooks tons of dairy, gluten and corn syrup (pizza 2-3 nights every week), and she doesn't want to cook 2 separate meals (so she can continue pummelling herself with glue) and she would "be offended" if he cooked for himself, since "that's all she has in life anymore, feeding her family." Shocked

I believe her theory is "Hey, the pills are covered by your health insurance. Why not just eat what tastes good? It's certainly easier for ME." Neutral
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Cave man? Reply with quote

I have reduced my dairy and especially my cereal grain/carb intake over the last few months. (I wanted to see the difference, if any.)

I feel better generally, I am losing weight because I am eating nuts and proteins and veggies rather than breads and starches and sugars etc.

I may not have any real sensitivity (as a man I can say that without shame) to these foodstuffs but poison is poison and removing it from your system is the only sensible thing to do.

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Peter - it's low carb for me as well. I've cut out cereal grains and all bread, as best I can (had a few bites of a dinner roll the other night.) I feel weird taking my own Ghee butter into restaurants, but I just tell them that if I eat any real butter, I'll projectile vomit. They always seem to quickly comply with my choice at that point. Laughing

Most carbs I get are from fruit and veggies now, and I limit those. And MAN am I enjoying steaks and animal fat again, without so much guilt.

Not looking forward, however, to my next conversation with my vegetarian friends the next time diet comes up. I no longer buy into the "wisdom" of their lifestyle. Confused But I will be tactful, diplomatic and highly patronizing. Laughing
EddieT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most carbs I get are from fruit and veggies now, and I limit those. And MAN am I enjoying steaks and animal fat again, without so much guilt.

That's great isn't it! Very liberating

Quote:
Not looking forward, however, to my next conversation with my vegetarian friends the next time diet comes up. I no longer buy into the "wisdom" of their lifestyle. Confused But I will be tactful, diplomatic and highly patronizing. Laughing

Check out "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith, a former vegetarian whose health was ruined (permanently, unfortunately) by a vegetarian diet. I've got the book ordered on Amazon, but I have heard interviews with her and read enough excerpts to know that this is a great piece of work (although I've heard it does stray into the global warming nonsense a bit). She is certainly in the vegan/vegetarian firing line now, which means she is doing something right Smile

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my newest trick - CauliRice. With the new low-carb kick, I really miss a nice plate of rice under my entree', and this does the trick. Cauliflower is relatively low-carb, yet very high in fiber, and has minimal flavor, just like rice.

http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Rice.htm

Lunch today - cajun chicken tenders, fried in Ghee butter, over substitute Cauliflower Rice, with Ghee and pepper. It kicked ass.

Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now......

The GFCFCFSF Diet Part 2: Low Carb

I've now officially (this is the press release you've all been clamoring for) added a new dimension to the diet, the low-carb approach. No particular reason, other than the weight loss I expressed with the No-Glue diet had leveled off, and I want to drop another 10.

That along with the new "no fat fear" approach I've also adopted recently, this makes sense. I'm slowly drifting closer and closer to the Paleolithic Diet, even though I'm convinced that - with the food delivery system we have in place in this world - it's essentially impossible to be 'orthodox Paleo' unless you are quite wealthy, and willing to blow a lot of bucks on your grocery bill.

In other news - I had a bit of a relapse with the original diet recently, in that an underarm rash that had cleared up almost 2 years ago (March 3 is the 2 year anniversary) had returned around the beginning of the holidays last December. I finally traced it down to the fact that I had begun eating peanuts again, because 3 weeks ago I stopped completely, and the rash went away. It's possible that the body becomes more susceptible to the glutens once they are cleaned out completely. That's my guess anyway.

"Death to glue! Carbs..... uh, once in a while." Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Health All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: