FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Alive and Well: Four Months of News & Updates

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
kathy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Alive and Well: Four Months of News & Updates Reply with quote

Quote:
Now at Our Web Site: Four Months of News & Updates

Alive & Well news for September 2007 is here below, and also posted at our web site along with a collection of thought provoking articles from June, July and August. The new pieces include an update on boxer Tommy Morrisons flip-flop HIV tests, a report on the failure of a female friendly anti-HIV microbicide, news from Botswana on the devastation caused by anti-AIDS measures, an interview with Christine Maggiore from a cover story in The Mother Hood, an expose on exaggerated AIDS cases in India, and an entertaining and informative account of how mainstream AIDS experts ducked out of a televised AIDS debate with cameras still rolling.

October news is coming soon and will cover the failure of the highly touted Merck HIV vaccine and new life affirming stats from South Africa showing population increases that defy popular ideas about AIDS.

Before we get into the September news included in this email, I want to offer an apology to everyone whos been waiting to hear from Alive & Well during these past few months and let you know Im back after a summer of full-time motherhood and other important work, including the kind that actually pays the bills!

In addition to working my day job, I also spent time this summer developing a new non-profit endeavor called The Shaken Justice Project. Shaken Justice serves as a legal, medical, and peer support network for parents erroneously accused or unjustly convicted of having caused the sudden death of a child, most commonly through a misguided diagnosis of Shaken Baby Syndrome. As a mother who suddenly and unexpectedly lost a child and endured a year-long police investigation into potential criminal charges based on false allegations, I want to help parents dealing with the heartbreak of losing a child when that loss when is multiplied by wrongful arrest, conviction and imprisonment.

One of the goals of Shaken Justice is to create the possibility of new trials for three people here in Los Angeles wrongly accused of murder by the same coroner who put forth false evidence in my daughters case. All three cases involve the sudden and unexpected death of a child, and all of the accused are currently serving life sentences. So far, Shaken Justice has assisted with the production of new evidence and the completion of an appeal on behalf of an innocent mother whos spent the past 12 years in jail.

Another goal of Shaken Justice is to inspire critical examination of the non-specific symptoms used to diagnose Shaken Baby Syndrome and create awareness of how misguided interpretations of medical evidence frequently cause innocent parents to be accused of SBS. Toward that goal, I pitched a story on SBS to a journalist whose investigative report will appear in a national magazine before the years end. His article highlights the case of a couple I met from Champagne, Illinois who were unjustly accused of harming their then four-month old son by violent shaking. After losing their baby to a year-long stint in foster care and spending close to half a million dollars for their legal defense, the couple were found innocent thanks to experts who proved that all alleged evidence of abuse was actually damage caused by medical interventions gone awry. Once the publication date for this article is confirmed and imminent, I will announce the name of the magazine and the issue in whic!
h it will appear.

I was also busy this summer with work on my own familys bid for justice. Our lawsuit made it past the first hurdle a few weeks ago when a motion to dismiss the charges we filed against the LA County Coroners office and Dr. James K. Ribe was denied by the judge in our case.

Until last month, I thought our family would be the first to bring a civil suit against the coroners office and Dr. Ribe. I learned instead that another couple, Jose and Rocio Gonzalez of Long Beach, is currently involved in a civil suit with the coroners office after Dr. Ribe falsely accused them of having caused the sudden and unexpected death of their son Jared by starvation.

Unlike our case in which analysis and review of Ribes conclusions by an independent pathologist prevented the District Attorney from filing charges, Mr. and Mrs. Gonzalez were arrested and imprisoned for several months and lost their surviving son to foster care before an independent expert discovered the unfounded conclusions in Ribes autopsy report.

I observed some of the proceedings in the Gonzlez case this summer and was able to spend some time with the family and their attorney, Robin Perry during recesses. Mr. Perry told me that after a local paper ran a story on the Gonzalez case, another couple Ribe had also wrongly accused of starving their child to death contacted him. They too were arrested but not convicted thanks to medical experts who proved Ribe was wrong once again.

How long will Dr. Ribe continue to falsely accuse citizens of Los Angeles of murder and abuse? Anyone wishing to follow our efforts to answer that question, please check in at http://www.JusticeForEJ.com for the latest news.

In happier news, my son Charlie turned 10 last month, an event that was celebrated with almost all the children and parents from his fourth grade classand which kept me up the night before making six dozen organic chocolate cupcakes!

Charlie started playing cello this summer as an adjunct to the piano lessons he began last fall. Im proud to report he excels at both instruments and has a lot of fun at his recitals including one this past weekend with an orchestra of 40 cellists ranging in age from four to 18 years. Hes also way into rollerblading, baseball, making stop-motion animation, riding a unicycle, magic and reading, with the Harry Potter series on his current list of favorite books.

Other happy news: My husband Robin and I celebrated the 11th year anniversary of our first date this month and Ive got another party in the works for my moms 80th birthday but this time my brothers are bringing the dessert!

And, as youll see below, theres good news at Alive & Well. I completed a revised fourth edition of my book What If Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong? overcoming out-dated computer files, irretrievable cover art, and no funds for printing. But thanks to Joyce and Barbara at Crest Graphics in Valencia, and a new group of supporters I found at a speaking engagement at the Concord School of Philosophy and American Literature in Massachusetts, the book is back in stock on November 1.

All of this is to say that Ive had a heck of a summer and I'm sorry for the prolonged delay in getting out regular email updates and fulfilling orders for books. Please know that you can count on me to stay in touch with monthly news, and to be here with books to share, and lighter heart for having taken some big steps forward with my work on another issue of human rights and medical justice that means a lot to me.

With thanks to all for your patience and understanding,

Christine
818-780-1875

September 2007

The Book is Back!

Fourth Revised Edition of What If Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong? Back in Stock November 1st

The book that will change your view of HIV and AIDS and possibly change your life will be available once again in a revised fourth edition. This seventh reprinting features a new color scheme, a slightly changed cover, several new pages of web site listings and a whole new chapter, HIV and AIDS in 2007, a brief update that powerfully answers questions about the books validity seven years after the original publication. And its still a quick read at just 128 pages including references.

Unfortunately, due to increase costs of printing, the book also has a new price of $12.95, but according to Bill Maher, host of HBOs Real Time, its well worth the addition two bucks. As Bill puts it, This is a book everyone should read, and not a moment too soon!

Advance orders will all ship this week, and new orders can be placed now at Alive & Wells online store. In December, books will be available once again through Amazon.com and at bookstores around the country.

In the meantime, heres a sampling of some of the 2007 updates covered in the books new chapter:

HIV Eludes Authorities

After 26 years and over 250 billion tax dollars invested in the HIV hypothesis, experts still cannot explain how HIV causes AIDS. In a remarkable set back for AIDS science, a 2007 study concluded the theory of an uncontrolled cycle of T cell activation, infection, HIV production and cell destruction is wrong." Using a new mathematical model, scientists showed that the universally accepted theory about how HIV worksan idea that dominated research and dictated treatment policies since 1996has actually led us further from solutions rather than closer to answers. (PLoS Medicine, 6/23/07)

The New Face of AIDS

Since expanding the AIDS definition in 1993 to include HIV positives with no clinical symptoms of disease, the majority of all new AIDS cases in America are diagnosed in healthy people with none of the opportunistic infections previously used to define AIDS. Epidemiology reports from around the US reveal that for the past 14 years, non-illness is the leading reason for an AIDS diagnosis in America, and depending on the region, 45% to 75% of all AIDS cases reported since 1981 were counted in clinically healthy HIV positives. Across the border in Canada where the AIDS definition still requires actual illness, AIDS cases per capita are 18 times lower than in the US. (Public Health Agency of Canada, 2006; Dept of Public Heath reports LA County, San Francisco, New York, Pennsylvania)

No One is Positive

The HIV antibody tests used worldwide since 1986 continue to carry an alarming disclaimer: At present, there is no recognized standard for establishing the presence or absence of antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2 in human blood. The fine print on newer rapid tests expresses similar uncertainty, specifying they are intended only to aid in the diagnosis of infection with HIV rather than to actually diagnose HIV infection, and further note that AIDS is merely thought to be caused by HIV rather than known to be the cause. The package insert accompanying viral load tests still declares they are not intended to be used as a screening test for HIV or as a diagnostic test for confirm the presence of HIV infection (HIV-1/HIV-2 EIA/ELISA, Abbot Laboratories; OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 Antibody Test, Abbot Diagnostics; Amplicor HIV-1 Monitor Test, Roche).

Treatment Does Not Equal Life

The largest study of HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) contradicts popular claims that HAART extends life. Tracking 22,000 previously treatment-free HIV positives that began medications between 1995 and 2003, authors discovered, Viral response improved but such improvement has not translated into a decrease in mortality.

Current drug ads alert people taking AIDS medications they may still get opportunistic infections or other conditions such as pneumonia, herpes, and mycobacterium avium complex (MAC). Pneumonia, herpes and MAC are responsible for more than half of all AIDS illnesses reported in the US. (Lancet 8/5/06, Vol 368 (9534):451-458; Atripla, Bristol-Myers Squibb/Gilead; Emtriva, Gilead; Kaletra, AbbotVirology; Reyataz, Bristol-Myers Squibb; Viramune, Boehringer Ingelheim)

Rising Deaths from AIDS Drugs

After years of reports on metabolic disturbances, mitochondrial toxicity, bone necrosis, and other adverse events caused by new AIDS drugs, the US National Institutes of Health finally acknowledged that the use of antiretroviral therapy is now associated with a series of serious side effects and long-term complications that may have a negative impact on mortality rates. More deaths occurring from liver failure, kidney disease, and cardiovascular complications are being observed in this patient population.

A study of 5,700 HIV positives determined that since the advent of HAARTthe most common current cause of death among people with HIV is liver failure. Authors warned that monitoring of liver enzymes is needed to save lives, an economic impossibility for people in Africa and other developing areas of the world taking toxic anti-HIV drugs. (University of Pittsburgh Medical School News Bureau, 7/8/02; nih.gov/about/researchresultsforthepublic/HIV-AIDS.pdf)

Viral Load Proves Wrong

A landmark paper from 2006 revealed that the viral load tests used for more than a decade to calculate progression to disease and gain approval for new AIDS drugs failed in over 90% of cases to predict or explain immune competency in a nationwide study of 2,800 HIV positives. The US Food and Drug Administration approved viral load in 1995 based on its alleged ability to forecast health outcomes. (JAMA 296(12):1498-506, 2006)

T Cell Questions

T cell counts may be less reliable measures of immune function than previously believed. A study by the World Health Organization (WHO) proved that HIV negative testing persons can have counts below 350, a number that according to WHO guidelines, would qualify for an AIDS diagnosis if they were HIV positive. (JID, 194:1450, 2006)

African AIDS Numbers Off

The latest mortality figures for South Africa, the supposed epicenter of AIDS, list AIDS as accounting for only 2.5% of all deaths in that country. Current claims by UN AIDS of 5.6 million AIDS victims in South Africa are actually estimates based on unconfirmed results from 16,000 antibody tests administered to expectant mothers using an assay documented to register false positives due to pregnancy.

In 2004, UN AIDS estimates for HIV in Kenya were cut by 50% after more careful survey data exposed gross errors in calculations. A 2003 census in Botswana revealed the opposite of 1993 predictions it would be the first nation in modern times literally to die out [from AIDS]. Instead, Botswanas population nearly doubled, increasing from less than 1 million to 1.7 million in a decade. A 2002 census in Uganda refuted two decades of estimates that 30% of the population was positive and countless millions would die of AIDS. From 1991-2002, Uganda enjoyed one of the highest annual growth rates in the world (3.4%), lowered infant mortality, and ultimately downgraded HIV estimates to 5%, all without AIDS drug programs and with no indications of changes in sexual behavior over the past 30 years. A 2006 Washington Post investigation determined that the practice of counting AIDS cases in Africa using increasingly dire and inaccurate assessments...has skewed years of policy judgments a!
nd decisions on where to spend precious healthcare dollars. (Statistics South Africa, 2005: Death Notification, Statistical Release P0309.6/3/07 www.TheBusinessOnline.com, 5/21/06)

HIV Down in India

New survey data found that UN AIDS overestimated the number of HIV positives in India, the alleged world leader in HIV, by more than 55%. The latest estimates suggest positive tests occur in 2.5 million of the countrys 1.2 billion inhabitants. In 2002, AIDS champion Bill Gates incorrectly predicted HIV cases in India would top 25 million by 2010. (India Has Many Fewer With Virus, New York Times 6/8/07)

Breastfeeding Lowers Health Risks

A 2007 study concluded that exclusive breastfeeding prevents infants of positive mothers from testing HIV positive themselves and provides vital protection from potentially fatal conditions such as diarrhea and pneumonia that threaten the lives of all children in the developing world. In 2006, studies drawing similar conclusions prompted the World Health Organization to recommend HIV-positive mothers exclusively breastfeed their infants until age six months. (WHO Policy Statement 10/06; Lancet, 369:1065-1066&1107-1116, 3/31/07)

AIDS Ranks Last in Childhood Deaths

Accounting for just 3% of mortalities among children, HIV/AIDS sits at the bottom of a list of public health threats for the developing world according to a 2007 Global Community Health Report by AIDS drug maker GlaxoSmithKline. GSK stated the worlds top killers of children under five are [non-AIDS] pneumonia, diarrhea, malaria and measles, conditions related to poverty, malnutrition, and poor sanitation.

No Animal Model for AIDS

After almost 20 years of efforts, scientists at the Yerkes Primate Research Center gave up trying to induce AIDS in laboratory chimps using injections of HIV. Although inoculated chimps tested positive, and despite having DNA that is 98% identical to humans, the animals did not develop diseases associated with AIDS. (New York Times, 1/7/03, For Retired Chimps, a Life of Leisure)

Be sure to check out other current news posted at the Alive & Well web site:

http://www.aliveandwell.org

kathy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Media Alert: Amazing New Broadcast "Does HIV Exist?"

"Prepare to be amazed, " says George Kenny, host of Electric Politics, of
his conversation with journalist Celia Farber on the topic of the AIDS
debate and the big question about HIV.

Kenny writes, "When reputable - indeed, extraordinarily distinguished -
scientists began to question whether HIV causes AIDS the backlash was
stunning. Yet, to me, as a non-scientist, the skeptics make a lot of sense.
And I question the establishment's explanation for why nobody has
actually isolated an "HIV" virus. Perhaps the more radical case that HIV
doesn't, in fact, exist, is right. What a thought! To get a graceful and
philosophical, even poetic, look at what's going on I turned to the
courageous independent journalist Celia Farber. I very much enjoyed
talking with Celia and hope she'll be a return guest, perhaps on other
subjects as well. Total running time one hour and 14 minutes. Click the
link below to listen.

http://www.electricpolitics.com/media/mp3/EP2008.10.17.mp3

October News Posted at Alive & Well!

- The incredible untold story behind the 2008 Nobel prize in medicine
- A response to "AIDS vigilantes" on the question of treatment drugs or no
treatment drugs for HIV positives
- A comprehensive and fascinating new article on AIDS in Africa by
Christian Fiala, MD, PhD and AIDS Rethinker
Click here to check it out:
http://www.aliveandwell.org

kathy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

December 2008

Alive & Well Peer Support Resumes in Los Angeles on Thursday December 11, 7:00 to 9:00 pm

Bring your questions, concerns, your friends, family or even your doctor to this dynamic discussion and support group meeting hosted by Alive & Well Founder Christine Maggiore; Brian Carter, moderator of AIDS Myth Exposed, the largest and most active online AIDS rethinking network in the world; and Dr. Dennis Kinnane, LAc, OMD and former pharmacist. Get ready for an evening of practical information, and poignant experiences that unfolds in an non-dogmatic atmosphere where all are welcome.

Please note that our meeting location has changed. From now on, Alive & Well events will take place at the Fairfax Senior Center in Hollywood.

This new location will be the home of all future A & W monthly support meetings until further notice. To get on the email list for upcoming monthly event notifications, please send a message to Brian at Carter19604@aol.com.

The Fairfax Senior Center is located near the corner of Fairfax and Melrose at 7929 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90046. For more information on the center, including specific driving directions, please visit http://www.laparks.org/dos/senior/facility/fairfaxSCC.htm

See you there!

===

Headline News Dares to Ask: Is the Global AIDS Crisis Overblown? as Experts Offer Bold Replies

"Pnuemonia kills more children every year than AIDS, malaria and measles combined?"

"Diarrhea kills five times as many kids as AIDS."

On the eve of World AIDS Day, an AP report echoes a question AIDS Rethinkers
have been posing for years about fair appropriation of precious healthcare
funding for the developing world as a broad range of experts involved in
humanitarian relief efforts weigh in with some surprising - and refreshing - answers.

Following a series of public admissions earlier this year from UNAIDS and the World Health Organization that HIV and AIDS estimates were exaggerated in India and Africa by 50% or more, global health advocates "are growing more outspoken in complaining that AIDS is eating up funding at the expense of more pressing health needs."

Perhaps the most courageous among the new critics of the old regime is Roger England, head of Health Systems Workshop, a human-interest think tank based in the Caribbean island of Grenada. England actually asserts that UNAIDS "has outlived its purpose and should be disbanded."

"The global HIV industry is too big and out of control. We have created a monster with too many vested interests and reputations at stake...too many relatively well paid HIV staff in affected countries, and too many rock stars with AIDS support as a fashion accessory," England wrote in the British Medical Journal this past May.

England points out that closing UNAIDS would free up its $200 million annual budget for other health problems such as pneumonia, which kills more children every year than AIDS, malaria and measles combined.

"By putting more money into AIDS, we are implicitly saying it's OK for more kids to die of pneumonia," England said. According to AP reporter Maria Cheng, England's comments "touch on the bigger complaint: that AIDS hogs money and may damage other health programs."

"Diarrhea kills five times as many kids as AIDS," said John Oldfield, executive vice president of Water Advocates, a Washington, D.C. based organization that promotes clean water and sanitation. "Everybody talks about AIDS at cocktail parties," Oldfield said. "But nobody wants to hear about diarrhea."

"There needs to be a rational system for how to apportion scarce funds," said Helen Epstein, an AIDS expert who has consulted for UNICEF, the World Bank, and others.

Get the full story here http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iPxuWgKJF4fy58hpf7YYJHQq_k6wD94PCD680
===
Robert Scott Bell Upstages World AIDS Day with a Three-Hour Dose of Health and Sanity

Hour one takes a refreshing break from "the pharmaceutical-lovefest" as Dr. Bell is joined by an all-star cast of experts working to reverse "ignorance and arrogance." Guests include Professor Peter Duesberg, journalist Celia Farber, Dr. David Rasnick, protease inhibitor creator, and David Crowe, president of Rethinking AIDS. Click below to listen.
http://www.switchpod.com/f99219.html?puser=none

In hour two, guests answer questions about living healthy and AIDS-drug free after testing positive on non-specific "HIV tests." Features Henry Bauer, PhD (author of The Origin, Persistence and Failings of HIV/AIDS Theory), Christine Maggiore (author of What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?), Clark Baker (author of Gallo's Egg) and more from David Crowe. Click here to listen:

http://www.switchpod.com/f99217.html?puser=none

And there's more! Click below to hear a special bonus podcast with all the guests from the above radio programs (except Peter Duesberg?who might have been too busy making waves with his innovative cancer research to come back on the air!
http://www.switchpod.com/f99232.html?puser=none

===

Another Paradigm Busted: Discover Mag on Flaws of Shaken Baby Syndrome

Please be sure to look for The Shaken Baby Debate, a highly informative and compelling feature in the December issue of Discover magazine (the one with Stephen Hawking on the cover) that takes on another faulty syndrome, SBS.

The article was inspired by Alive & Well founder Christine Maggiore's efforts in The Shaken Justice Project, which works to assist innocent parents and caretakers wrongly accused of harming children. The article includes stories of couples whose lives were nearly destroyed by false and perhaps even malicious charges stemming from incorrect interpretations of medical evidence.

ManAtTheWindow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathy wrote:
December 2008

Robert Scott Bell Upstages World AIDS Day with a Three-Hour Dose of Health and Sanity

Hour one takes a refreshing break from "the pharmaceutical-lovefest" as Dr. Bell is joined by an all-star cast of experts working to reverse "ignorance and arrogance." Guests include Professor Peter Duesberg, journalist Celia Farber, Dr. David Rasnick, protease inhibitor creator, and David Crowe, president of Rethinking AIDS. Click below to listen.
http://www.switchpod.com/f99219.html?puser=none

In hour two, guests answer questions about living healthy and AIDS-drug free after testing positive on non-specific "HIV tests." Features Henry Bauer, PhD (author of The Origin, Persistence and Failings of HIV/AIDS Theory), Christine Maggiore (author of What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?), Clark Baker (author of Gallo's Egg) and more from David Crowe. Click here to listen:

http://www.switchpod.com/f99217.html?puser=none

And there's more! Click below to hear a special bonus podcast with all the guests from the above radio programs (except Peter Duesberg?who might have been too busy making waves with his innovative cancer research to come back on the air!
http://www.switchpod.com/f99232.html?puser=none

Here's a stroke of bad luck - the switchpod site has gone offline. The podcasts have apparently been transferred to libsyn.com but I can't see a way to find them. Does anybody have a current, active link to them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> AidsIsOver! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: