FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
NEOSEEO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Hocus Locus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: NEOSEEO Reply with quote

NEOSEEO. Hocus Locus, 2003.
Copy. Forward. Disseminate. Paraphrase. Plagiarize.
I don’t care, so long as we just GET SOMETHING DONE
___
It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
~ Chinese Proverb
___
And if the dam breaks open
many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes
with dark forebodings too
I'll see you [from] the
[Far] Side Of The Moon

~ with grateful apologies to Pink Floyd

Painting Reflections of Near-Earth Objects with a powerful radio emitter and/or a series of thermonuclear generated electromagnetic pulses emitted from an unmanned facility on the far side of the moon . . . with sensitive telescopic recievers at L4/L5, as a step in the long term goal to defend our children, our ecology and our lovely world from a

Sudden Large Accretion To Earth Which Illaudable Parents Enormously Regret (SLATEWIPER, S.L.A.T.E.W.I.P.E.R.)

That’s it. I won’t attempt to dive into technics, work out problems or make a pregnant opus of it, I’d just like to float the idea to those who are better equipped to take it further . . . here are some fragmented thoughts on the subject. I use metaphors of light though the usefulness and practicality of NEOSEEO may be better suited to painting with the radio spectrum.

WHY NEOSEEO? Before we develop the technology to intercept and divert ‘Dinosaur Killers’ we must be able to identify and track them • A NEO tracking initiative on the scale required to give us a decent chance of finding the real ‘Big One’ will be expensive and will take years, decades to achieve • Practical means to reach a target and change its vector might take a century to implement • It is unlikely that we will pursue the NEO problem with vigor until or unless the extent of the threat can be known • Just recently we detected a ‘Big One’ after it flew by • Did anyone else have a tingly feeling when they heard about it? How many others are on the way? • It would not just be a keen idea to find out • If we accept that the Space Age began decades ago, it has been gravely irresponsible of us to have not focused significant resources and cooperation towards this specific threat • If you’re reading this without a deep sense of irony and sadness, that means it may not be too late.

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? Impacts have been the subject of some impressive movies, but as a species we not as concerned as we should be • Once it was believed incorrectly that wide deployment of nuclear explosions ‘elsewhere’ on Earth would not affect us ‘here’ • Now we know better • Similarly, a significant impact on Earth would not be just a ‘local’ event • Effect on global climate would result in a transformation, not merely a casual adaptation of present day society • It would shatter the delicate political equilibrium of present day politics as nations become panic-driven, self-centered in the securing of untainted land, energy and resources required to survive a long winter • When the rules are off, greatest reward is achieved by those who are most aggressive, most violent • “Not us, we are a peaceful, enlightened society.” But of course. The rest of the quote beginning with ‘Unless...’ is left as a military exercise for the reader.

WHY THE FAR SIDE OF THE MOON? To paint ‘small’ objects of varying composition far away most effectively, you need something bright and noisy that can illuminate them, but will not blind or harm you • I’m talking about pulses strong enough to cause serious disruption, possible destruction of electronics we have in orbit, even earthside • The same type of Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) we’ve developed to achieve Instant Stone AgeTM over a wide area if air-bursted here on Earth • How fortunate we are to have a Moon that could allow us to release this amount of energy into space while shielding delicate systems on Earth.

WHY TWO RECEIVERS? WHY L4 & L5? At the L4 & L5 Lagrange points a satellite can maintain an orbit matching the moon’s • They remain at precise positions in relation to the Emitter • Reflection returns arrive almost simultaneously to both Receivers • By immediate parallax calculation, faster and more accurate object position is obtained • Receivers may need special shielding but would probably be far enough below the Emitter’s horizon so they would not be blinded or zapped.

OTHER BENEFITS? We will see smaller things, closer things, that would otherwise not be seen: future hazards to navigation, dust clouds or small boulders that might be useful for raw materials • Receivers are astronomical telescopes when not tasked for NEO mapping • The moon is receding from Earth and we don’t want this to continue . . . perhaps a few nuclear nudges on the far side over the years would buy more time. This is whimsically suggested, but I’m curious as to how the math works out.

THERE’S THE BIG ONE! WHAT NOW? Ultimately the only way to change the vector of a heavy object heading for Earth is to push it gently while it’s still far away or its orbit is drifting towards ours • Robotic probes with rockets, bombs might be sent out from Earth and parked in space, to be deployed locally

THE BEST-EVER SCENARIO would be if there were human beings already in space (HL BFN 19-Nov-2006). Colonies on the Moon, Mars, prospectors among the asteroids - who could be tasked to defend any of humanity’s outposts threatened with imminent impact.

___
We always thought the deadline for public knowledge was the publication of next year's budget since we've spent more money than we can account for. That won't happen for two weeks. I don't suppose I could prevail upon you to wait two weeks in the name of National Security?
~President Beck, in "Deep Impact"
SidVicious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- a future without the US dollar, it seems. ;-(
Ask me again in ten minutes. ;-)

___
Nutritionally, hundred dollar bills are equal to ones, but more sanitary due to limited circulation.
~Anon
Continuity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissident wrote:
Do you live in the future?

I think it's more about that he wants to make sure that we all have the possibility of doing so.

HL likes to keep an eye on the 'big picture', as it were. Wink

Cat Haiku
Hocus Locus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE GOOD KIND OF BUNNY
or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying About The Bomb And Started Looking Up

As a boy I began to explore the possibility of a planetary asteroid defense.

What a relief.

My teenage years were marked by bouts of Acute Cold War Survival Anxiety. I was prepared to explore and debate such things as, What effect and scope of all-out nuclear exchange? What are nearest likely strategic targets? Wind and ocean factors? Social and political conditions? When fallout arrives, how can you be sure your family is getting enough? If there is somewhere left to go, where to go? What to bring? Who to eat first?

I would listen to the daily English commentaries of Radio Moscow on shortwave. Lots of gesticulation and predictable posturing. Then I would listen to President Reagan: lots of gesticulation and predictable posturing.

Minutes to midnight.

I worked survival scenarios; collected books, studied maps, stockpiled chocolate. I'd be tuned to the local radio station when they conducted the EBS test every week... as in, "This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. It is only a test." When it was preempted by a baseball game I was the only one who ever called to complain. Because no one else did.

Survival aside, what could one actually do to address the threat of nuclear war? Sneak around gathering warhead, missle and fission lump and muck... head for Mount Doom, toss them in and run like hell?

I tried to debate the issue with others but didn't get far. The objective, they would begin, is to prevent nuclear war. "Can be done, but not a good approach." Oh really, they'd muse, explain. "Considering the angles and who the players are... there is only one tool we know of that is capable of preventing nuclear war: nuclear war."

Smiling, I suppose you think that's funny. "No, I'm serious. It would work. For sure."

End of debate.

Or... continuing the debate later by myself, with myself... what if, instead of preparing for nuclear war... we just choose not to have one? All day. Every day. It was easy to see that this tactic might 'save the day' so to speak. But the real beauty of such a regimen is that the benefits actually accrue over time. A day? O.K. A week? Great. A whole year without nuclear war? Splendid!

As it turns out that's exactly what we did. It would be silly to claim credit for the ultimate success of this simple idea; but I did think it up first.

And I did my part... right to this day.

No matter how hectic the day or late the hour, I always set aside enough time to not start a nuclear war. As should you. I admit at times it may have been a little one -- say, a hypothetical series of tactical bursts along the border of two small imbecile countries. It never works. The dust settles and there is the border again, right where they left it. Wider, even.

On Friday I fail to start three successive wars, each one more horrifyingly pointless than the last; to clear my slate for the weekend. With nuclear survival addressed and prevention unnecessary -- had all this extra free time.

So I kissed plutonium goodbye and set my sights on iron, nickel and ice; humble ingredients to be sure but pretty effective when you stir in mass, velocity and plenty of aftermath.

If you see one mushroom cloud you've seen them all, if one could be so lucky. They only seem to come in one flavor, up up and away.

Planetary impacts though are serious fun.

Exposing the earth's mantle -- even a tiny bit -- is always a fiery crowd pleaser. Then a rain of molten pellets begins, right on schedule; everyone gets to take home a souvenir. There is angle of entry: like playing spin-the-bottle, with God. Bad news for those in the cheap seats.

I like best a night-side volley into the ocean. The shores of surrounding continents are ringside seats; you can start the show early, since most of the audience is already there. Toss a few little ones, now they're watching. Different metals make pretty colors as they tear through the atmosphere.

Clever surprises. Eyes with telescopes will see here... a Really Big One! In all the humanities! Move away, please! But shh...it's as hollow as a chocolate bunny. But not as disappointing. "That's the big one!" they say, and then () nothing happens. From space you can almost smell the relief. It will not be so easy to fool them again.

And there is no need, for here is another Big One, an even Bigger BIGGEST One. Hold it up for telescope eyes, no sleeve up my sleeve. They are winking in jest, you think you're so clever. Spin it around ever so slowly, until the message written on the other side comes into view. Telescope eyes blink. And there it goes, smack into the ocean.

The Good Kind of Bunny. Happy Easter. Tossing large dense objects at planets, you get a hole in one every time. This way to the egress.

If any who might find fault in such a stellar performance would remain in their seats... we will be sending along an apology and full refund, to be delivered by ocean.

What a mess. Glowing iridescent rings of exposed mantle like the hollow eye sockets of a ghost. Each one the eye of a hurricane of steam and worse things. Now if this was your planet, you would be feeling unpleasant tingles working up and down your spine right now, just to look at them. Or even to hear me describe them. If there are no tingles you haven't given it enough thought.

It is merciful when dark clouds roll over everything at the end. Final curtain.

I had finally discovered something besides nuclear war, that prevents nuclear war.

So, at 17, I decided to move on and do other things for awhile.

~~Hocus Locus, Easter 2006

___
The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.

~H. W. Longfellow, "Day is Done"
Hocus Locus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futures to avoid:

Deep Impact [1998]
Blade Runner [1982]
A Boy And His Dog [1975]
Mad Max [any]
Minority Report [2002]
Press For Truth (ever again)

Municipal Flat Block 18A wrote:
I think it's more about that he wants to make sure that we all have the possibility of doing so.
HL likes to keep an eye on the 'big picture', as it were.

Er, A Clockwork Orange [1971]

But this list goes ever on and on
down from the dark psyches where it began.

Futures to envision:

2001: A Space Odyssey (so long as we get to keep all the other stuff, I'd even be Hal's 'collateral damage')
L5: first city in space

___
And the greatness of God's Kingdom made manifest; He is glorified not in one, but in countless suns; not in a single earth, a single world, but in a thousand thousand -- I say, an infinity of worlds!
~Giordano Bruno: "On the infinite universe and the infinity of worlds", 1584 Anno Domini

___
The end of our foundation is the knowledge of causes, and secret motions of things; and the enlarging of the bounds of human empire, to the effecting of all things possible. The preparations and instruments are these: We have large and deep caves of several depths; the deepest are sunk 600 fathoms; and some of them are digged and made under great hills and mountains; so that if you reckon together the depth of the hill and the depth of the cave, they are, some of them, above three miles deep...
~Francis Bacon, "New Atlantis", 1626 Anno Domini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: