FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Anyone wonder about the Magic Johnson Hiv Declaration(1991)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
maverick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone wonder about the Magic Johnson Hiv Declaration(1991) Reply with quote

He could of easily had it but its funny how after all these years he seems to be doing fine.(Even playing a few years again) If you really wanted to promote the whole HIV/AIDS agenda you would find someone of very high profile who had it and "PRESTO" it would be the greatest advertising ploy you could ever have and it would'nt cost a cent.

I remember when he announced he had HIV...........I always wondered where were all the other athletes who had it. How could he be the ONLY one.............and remember he announced before the 92 Olympics when he became part of THE DREAM TEAM.
anima_kulture

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I have wondered about this exact topic only a few days ago, speaking w/ my father ( we have a sports interest relationship) I said "did you forget about Magic having HIV?" He said something about kissing Isaih(SP) Thomas or some shit. I have never reasearched this at all, never really thought to, but neat to know that others still remember this and think it odd as well. Just kinda vanished into thin air didn't it.
maverick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hes still alive while countless others have died...........maybe he said no to the AZT or just takes great care of himself. He does have a lot of wealth so that might help.

Wonder while no other athletes have come out HIV positive..........Wonder what the odds of him being the only one in 16 yrs.
john23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have to die for the propaganda, maybe he didn't fall for the HIV=death bullshit and go for the drugs.
anima_kulture

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Magic Johnson promotes HIV drug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ads are geared toward urban blacks

By Alex Polier
The Associated Press

NEW YORK - As competition among makers of AIDS drugs increases, GlaxoSmithKline is using perhaps America's best-known HIV carrier to spread awareness among urban blacks of treatment methods and the company's products.

Magic Johnson's image is being splashed on billboards, subway posters and full-page ads in newspapers and magazines.

The ads include photos of a robust-looking Mr. Johnson and feature messages such as, "Staying healthy is about a few basic things: A positive attitude, partnering with my doctor, taking my medicine every day."

The market in HIV treatments with its drug Combivir, GlaxoSmithKline said its campaign is being conducted in cities with the highest rates of HIV/AIDS infection among blacks, including New York; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Miami; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Philadelphia; Houston; Atlanta; and Newark, N.J.

The campaign also includes educational ads and a speaking tour by Mr. Johnson. It is similar to campaigns that have used athletes, movie stars and other celebrities to promote awareness about and specific drugs for arthritis, depression and other conditions.

But the GlaxoSmithKline campaign is the first of its kind for HIV, which has created particularly sensitive issues of price and profit for the pharmaceutical industry.

"The new wave of this disease is moving toward minorities, specifically African-Americans," said Peter Hare, vice president of GlaxoSmithKline's HIV business unit. "More African-Americans are dying from AIDS than white people. So, from a business perspective, if you want more patients, you have to focus on the African-American community."

Mr. Johnson, diagnosed with HIV 11 years ago, does not have full-blown AIDS. The basketball Hall of Famer takes a combination of GlaxoSmithKline and non-GlaxoSmithKline drugs, including Combivir, the most commonly prescribed HIV drug and one of GlaxoSmithKline's best sellers.

New alternatives, including generics, are turning what was once a limited market into one of fierce competition. Products such as Crixivan and Stocrin made by Merck & Co., and Kaletra and Norvir, made by Abbott Laboratories, pose a threat to GlaxoSmithKline's profits.

GlaxoSmithKline still controls about 50 percent of the market for HIV drugs, with sales topping $1.1 billion in 2001, the most recent year for which comprehensive figures are available.

"So if anyone complies with their treatment, or if new African-Americans start using HIV drugs, there will be some benefit for us," Mr. Hare said. "But this campaign is beneficial for everyone. There is something in it for African-Americans with HIV, for doctors and, yes, something in it for Magic and for GlaxoSmithKline."

AIDS is the leading cause of death for blacks between the ages of 24 and 44.

One in 50 black men and one in 160 black women are believed to be HIV-positive. About one in three don't now they have it.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/01/21/biz_magic21.html

This is a little old, but does say a little bit. As far as other athletes not anouncing HIV, maybe it's the business side of it all. Sports are a multi-billion dollar industry, and all the leauges seem to try like hell to keep most items under wrap ( drug charges, DWI's etc) even though the media runs with the stories of "fallen stars" sports organizations still try to keep a good face. Magic seemes to have anounced this not on behalf of the L.A. Lakers, but to use his star power to raise awarnes. With the huge contracts and money thrown around now, I could see a team or even a team's lawyer asking the player to stay on the hush hush about such an episode. Now -a-days, it seems like it could hurt the players career or jepordize his next big contract to anounce such a statement. I am only guessing here, I have no proof at all. But what a strange episode this Magic HIV thing. Again, glad to see others noticed this as well.

MichaelC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When - and where - did that Glaxo ad come out? Is it still running?

My take is that BigPharma offered Magic a lot of dough to say that he was 'poz', possibly as part of a package deal relating to the above-mentioned advert.

Magic must have realized that the whole "HIV" was bullshit, never took any of the drugs(demonstrated by his apparent good health), and went on with his life and just forgot about the whole thing.

As everyone should regarding "HIV/AID$".[/i]
MichaelC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

""full-blown AIDS""

Is that, like, when someone with "AID$" gives you a blow-job?
MichaelC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Why is the MSM obsessed with 'Saint' Diana? Reply with quote

Hard to figure out what is their agenda on this one. But it is incessant 24/7.
obeylittle

Location: Middle o' Mitten, Michigan Corp. division of United States of America Corp. division of Global Corp.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty simple and straightforward isn't it? Magic Johnson is a multi-millionaire. A member of the far-upper class. I would imagine his HIV "medication" consists of a one-a-day vitamin chased down by a six-pack. He doesn't take the AIDS drugs, he only sells them to maximize profits. Both his AND Glaxo's.

While Joe Six-pack living down the street is forced into clinical Pharma-murder drawn out to maximize profits.

Everything (including the law) is different for you and I, than it is for them. Don't ever allow yourselves to forget that.
James D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelC wrote:
""full-blown AIDS""

Is that, like, when someone with "AID$" gives you a blow-job?

Good one MichaelC!! That's really quite funny!
Isn't that technically safe - right, now I get it!!
anima_kulture

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: ???????? Reply with quote

http://www.magicjohnson.org/home.php

WTF? I have no real idea on this topic at the moment.

MichaelC... what is this "b-l-o-w-j-o-b" thingy you speak of? I have been married for a very long time. Do people really still do this shit? Shocked

Rick Dagless

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maverick wrote:

Wonder while no other athletes have come out HIV positive..........

There was Jerry Smith of the Washington Redskins who died from AIDS in 1986.

A couple links about him:

http://gayfortoday.blogspot.com/2007/07/jerry-smith.html

http://www.gmax.co.za/look04/01/26-sportcomplex.html

I don't know if he had HIV or not though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> AidsIsOver! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: