FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Google advocates: Another thing to watch for
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> State Terror: 9/11, 7/7, CIA Fakes
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
dilbert_g

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was REALLY paranoid about tracking, I'd have to anonymize my subversive webpage.

I have no doubts that any anarchistic books or music I've ever bought from Amazon has me categorized. After all, when I log on, they have "a store they made for me" based on previous searches or purchases.

FIRST they came for the commies and other opposition, ... but unlike what the caller on local talk radio said, the answer for ALL OF US is NOT choosing to be super-obedient and compliant and timid. (But I cant even go there, because they still think "everything changed after 9-11" is a credible answer.
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post this site that shows an example of how data can be mined for interrelated information.

Funny... they use the Enron E-mail database as their case study...
http://jheer.org/enron/v1/

Using the Prefuse toolkit... downloadable here...
http://prefuse.org/

The gallery is quite impressive.
http://prefuse.org/gallery/

Makes me contemplate the work required in trying to get the 9/11 3i info organized in such a manner?

Last edited by elbowdeep on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Google developing eavesdropping software

Audio 'fingerprint' for content-relevant ads

The first thing that came out of our mouths when we heard that Google is working on a system that listens to what's on your TV playing in the background, and then serves you relevant adverts, was "that's cool, but dangerous".

The idea appeared in Technology Review citing Peter Norvig, director of research at Google, who says these ideas will show up eventually in real Google products - sooner rather than later.

The idea is to use the existing PC microphone to listen to whatever is heard in the background, be it music, your phone going off or the TV turned down. The PC then identifies it, using fingerprinting, and then shows you relevant content, whether that's adverts or search results, or a chat room on the subject.

And, of course, we wouldn’t put it past Google to store that information away, along with the search terms it keeps that you've used, and the web pages you have visited, to help it create a personalised profile that feeds you just the right kind of adverts/content. And given that it is trying to develop alternative approaches to TV advertising, it could go the extra step and help send "content relevant" advertising to your TV as well.

We suspect that such a world would be rather eerie, with a constant feeling of déjà vu every time anyone watched TV.

Technology Review said Google talked about this software in Europe last June, and that it breaks sound into a five-second snippets to pick out audio from a TV, reducing the snippet to a digital "fingerprint", which it matches on an internet server.

Given the furore caused when AOL released searches on the internet, there might be more than a few civil liberties activists less than happy for Google to put this idea into practice. Also, given that Google provides the software link between its search software and the microphone, it's a small step to making the same link to any webcams attached to the PC.

Pretty soon the security industry is going to find a way to hijack the Google feed and use it for full on espionage.

Google says that its fingerprinting technology makes it impossible for the company (or anyone else) to eavesdrop on other sounds in the room, such as personal conversations, because the conversion to a fingerprint is made on the PC, and a fingerprint can't be reversed, as it's only an identity.

But we should think that "spyware" might take on an extra meaning if someone less scrupulous decided on a similar piece of software.

The Google program converts sound into graphs, weeds out background noise, and reduces the graphs to key features that can then be translated into just four bytes of information, so that the fingerprints for an entire year of television programming would add up to no more than a few gigabytes, the company said.

Meanwhile, in an unconnected announcement this week, Google said it has signed a multi-year agreement with online auction giant eBay, to provide text-based advertising outside the US.

The companies also plan to launch a "click-to-call" advertising function on eBay using Skype and Google Talk.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/03/google_eavesdropping_software/
http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2006/09/1732264.php

Just ANOTHER harmless tool. Because they are too busy "doing NO evil".

d0ub1eth1nk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google becomes PART OF software everywhere. Remember it used to be a toolbar that you could install (or not). Now firefox AND opera have GOOGLE inside. Opera has pre-installed "web search" configurations, and includes a bunch (20 or so). You can delete every one of them in the configuration but you cannot delete google. Google is the biggest spy-op around. Actually they might be second to Microsoft.
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Side note....
Interesting Envelope with the "M"... I can't help but see a Masons apron every time I login...
Maybe I'm just looking into things a little too deep... I should just go back to sleep... why fuss over this if I've got nothing to hide? right?

Fantastic observation.
Correct? Relevant? Delusional?
Who knows... but fantastic never the less.

The 'M' always caught my eye for some reason, even giving me a slight feeling of austere dread.

I just chalked it up to the odd design combo of cartoon-y script contrast with the big blocky letter...

Now I know better. Wink
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GOOGLE, YOUTUBE DEAL UNDERWAY
7.10.2006. 13:55:31

Google offices in Sydney (pic AAP)
Internet search leader Google Inc is reportedly in talks to acquire the popular online video site YouTube Inc for about US$1.6 billion (A$2.15 billion) in cash and stock.

Google and San Mateo-based YouTube are at a sensitive stage in the discussion, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported on their websites today.

The blog TechCrunch had reported on rumours of the acquisition talks. Google and YouTube officials declined to comment.

Analysts said a Google acquisition of YouTube would make sense for both companies, especially considering Google's US$10 billion (A$13.4 billion) cash on hand.

"It's damn cheap for a company that already has a global presence," said Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with the San Francisco-based Global Equities Research. "YouTube's brand identity is no less than Google's and is no less than Coke's."

As YouTube's popularity continues to soar, she said, Google can help make sure the site's infrastructure can keep pace.

The acquisition would also immediately propel Google to the top of the online video heap. YouTube eclipsed traffic on Google's video site in February.

By July, the number of monthly visitors had grown to about 30.5 million, compared with 9.3 million for Google Video and 5.3 million for Yahoo Inc.'s Yahoo Video, according to Nielsen/NetRatings.

YouTube users watch more that 100 million videos daily.

Google's video service lets everyday users post clips, too, and unlike YouTube, Google also gives them the choice of selling video. All YouTube clips are free.

YouTube was founded in February, 2005, by three former employees of eBay Inc.'s PayPal electronic-payment unit. Its chief financial backer is the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Sequoia Capital, which has invested US$11.5 million (A$15.45 million). Sequoia was an early Google investor, too.

The 25-employee YouTube is surging thanks to the increased availability of high-speed internet connections and gadgets such as camera phones and digital cameras capable of taking video.

Most YouTube offerings are short amateur clips, although professional filmmakers, television networks and even political campaigns have posted materials.

Shares in Google rose US$8.69 (A$11.6Cool, or more than two percent, to close at US$420.50 (A$565.07) Friday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=131794&region=4

Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as if Sequoia Capital has funded every significant silicon valley and internet marketing development of the last five years.

Turns out it's a small world (wide web) after all...

Quote:

About Sequoia Capital
Since 1972, Sequoia Capital has provided startup venture capital for smart people who want to turn ideas into companies. As the “Entrepreneurs Behind the Entrepreneurs”, Sequoia Capital’s partners have worked with innovators such as Sandy Lerner and Len Bozack of Cisco Systems, Jerry Yang and David Filo of Yahoo!, Gaurav Garg of Redback Networks, Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google, Dan Warmenhoven of Network Appliance, Max Levchin and Peter Thiel of PayPal (eBay), T.J. Rodgers of Cypress Semiconductor, Lou Tomasetta of Vitesse Semiconductor, Steve Jobs of Apple Computer and Larry Ellison of Oracle. The companies funded by Sequoia Capital now account for about 10 percent of the value of NASDAQ. To learn more about Sequoia Capital visit www.sequoiacap.com.

http://www.linkedin.com/static?key=press_releases_111203

Quote:

ROOST
Plenty of early stage companies have started or been housed inside Sequoia Capital. We like being involved with companies when they are composed of less than a handful of people. We like being the very first investors. In recent years companies such as YouTube, Plaxo, Cast Iron, and Mark Logic, have spent their formative months working in our office. Long ago Electronic Arts and PMC Sierra both developed their original business as our guests. We do not have an E.I.R. program. Ours is just for E.I.A.s - Entrepreneurs in Action.

[...]

UNDERDOGS

The collision of intelligence and ambition with opportunity is unbeatable. Almost everyone we have ever invested in has been a complete unknown at the time we met. Many have been immigrants or first generation Americans with barely a penny to their name. Underdogs are our favorite kind of people.

http://sequoiacap.com/us/

Quote:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sequoia Capital

Sequoia Capital is a venture capital firm founded by Don Valentine in 1972. The firm's partners include Don Valentine, Pierre Lamond, Michael Moritz, Doug Leone, Roelof Botha, and Mark Kvamme.
Sequoia provided venture capital for Google, Yahoo!, Paypal, Electronic Arts, YouTube, Ometric, Insider Pages and was one of the first investors in Cisco Systems, Oracle and Apple. Around 10% of the value of NASDAQ is made up of firms funded by Sequoia.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoia_Capital

Quote:

Michael Moritz

Michael Moritz is a venture capitalist with Sequoia Capital in Menlo Park, California, in the Silicon Valley.

Moritz was born in Cardiff, Wales and educated at Howardian High School, Cardiff before moving onto the Christ Church college of the University of Oxford, where he received a Master of Arts in history. In 1978, he received a Master of Business Administration degree from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.

His internet company investments include Google, Yahoo!, and PayPal, as well as Webvan, PlanetRx, and eToys. Google was a rare co-investment with John Doerr of rival venture capital firm Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers.

Moritz joined Sequoia in 1986, after working as a reporter for Time, writing the 1984 book The Little Kingdom: the Private Story of Apple Computer, and co-founding Technologic Partners, a technology newsletter and conference company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moritz

While shocking, I find none of this surprising considering my skeptical view of 'emerging new media' as simply being an extension of the electronic mind management program begun with the 20th century. 'You Tube' has always been 'Their Tube'.

This, however, caused my tinfoil hat to glow...

Quote:

Roelof Botha

Roelof Botha is an actuary. He was the CFO of PayPal. Now he works for Sequoia Capital and currently sits on the board of directors of YouTube.

He is the grandson of the long-serving South African Foreign Affairs Minister of the same name who was also known as Roelof 'Pik' Botha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roelof_Botha

Who was Grandpa again? No, not that Botha, the 'other' one - his 'foreign affairs' minister. 'Condi' Botha.

Quote:

Roelof Frederik "Pik" Botha

(born April 27, 1932, in Rustenburg, Transvaal, South Africa), is a South African politician who served as the country's foreign minister in the last years of the apartheid era. He was considered to be a liberal, at least in comparison to others in the ruling National Party and among the Afrikaner community.

Diplomat and Lawyer
Botha began his career in the South African foreign service in 1953, serving in Sweden and West Germany. From 1963 to 1966, he served on the team representing South Africa at the International Court of Justice in The Hague in the matter of Ethiopia and Liberia v. South Africa, over the South African occupation of South-West Africa (Namibia).
In 1966, Botha was appointed law adviser at the South African Department of Foreign Affairs. In that capacity, he served on the delegation representing South Africa at the United Nations from 1966 to 1974. At this time, he was appointed South Africa's ambassador to the United Nations, but a month after he presented his credentials, South Africa was suspended from membership.

Politician
In 1970, Botha entered the realm of electoral politics, winning a seat in the South African parliament as a member of the National Party. In 1975, Botha was appointed South Africa's ambassador to the United States, in addition to his U.N. office. In 1977, he was appointed minister for foreign affairs.
Botha entered the contest to be Prime Minister of South Africa in 1978. His candidacy acted as a spoiler, ensuring the victory of P. W. Botha (no relation).
In 1985, Botha drafted a speech that would have announced the release of Nelson Mandela but this draft was rejected by P. W. Botha.

The next year, he stated publicly that it would be possible for South Africa to be ruled by a black president provided that there were guarantees for minority rights. President P.W. Botha quickly forced foreign minister Botha to acknowledge that this position did not reflect government policy.
In December 1988 Pik Botha flew to Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo with Magnus Malan, Defence Minister, and signed a peace protocol with Denis Sassou-Nguesso, President of the Republic of the Congo, and with Angolan and Cuban signatories. At the signing he said "A new era has begun in South Africa. My government is removing racial discrimination. We want to be accepted by our African brothers".

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pik_Botha

Suddenly, my scalp begins to burn...

Quote:

Namibian Independence

On December 22, 1988 Pik Botha signed a tripartite agreement involving Angola, Cuba and South Africa at United Nations headquarters in New York which led to the implementation of Security Council Resolution 435, and to South Africa's relinquishing control of Namibia after decades of defiance. (Botha, with a delegation of 22 from Johannesburg, was booked to travel to the signing ceremony on flight Pan Am Flight 103 from London to New York on December 21, but instead took an earlier flight. UN Commissioner for Namibia, Bernt Carlsson, who was to take charge of Namibia on behalf of the UN, had his travel arrangements revised at short notice, and was killed when PA 103 crashed at Lockerbie, Scotland.)

DOH! Sorry Nambians...

Quote:
National unity

Botha subsequently served as Minister of Mineral and Energy Affairs in South Africa's first post-apartheid government from 1994 to 1996 under President Nelson Mandela.
Botha became deputy leader of the National Party in the Transvaal from 1987 to 1996. He retired from politics in 1996 when F. W. de Klerk withdrew the National Party from the government of national unity.

In 2000, Botha requested membership of the African National Congress and declared his support for President Thabo Mbeki.

... and continues to function as occasional shill for the NWO takeover of Africa.
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Jerry! Naw... it must ALL be a coincidence! Wink
obeylittle

Location: Middle o' Mitten, Michigan Corp. division of United States of America Corp. division of Global Corp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a list of current Google services check out this Wikipedia page: List of Google products.

If you are concerned with your right to privacy you may want to block your Internet browser, (or any software on your computer for that matter,) from hitting sites you don't trust. By not hitting (connecting to) them your IP cannot show up in their logs or databases so you cannot be tracked directly by them. Its your personal DoS (Denial of Service) system for Them... Laughing "Them" being anyone you don't trust on the Internet...

Using the methods listed below you can block these untrusted sites even when others include links to services on their web pages that you may be browsing--unbeknowst to you.

Simply edit your "Hosts" file on your computer to provide the domain block by informing your browser to direct to itself using the "localhost" IP (127.0.0.1). If you are on a private local network with Internet access you can blacklist domains you don't trust in your gateway router configuration, (thereby protecting all the computers in your network from one location) rather than editing "hosts" files on every computer. I won't cover the router config here as there are so many different ones.... read your documentation. But I'll cover the big three computer operating systems below for "hosts" file editing.

I'll use google.com and yahoo.com in my examples. You may include as many domains to block as you wish provided you enter them all one-per-line in the hosts file.

Windows::
1) Locate the file "Hosts" on your computer:

Windows 95/98/Me: c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
(you may need administrator access for Windows NT/2000/XP)

NOTE: Hosts is the name of the hosts file and not another directory name. It does not have an extension (extensions are the .exe, .txt, .doc, etc. endings to filenames) and so appears to be another directory in the example above.
You may have a file called "Hosts.sam". This file is a sample Hosts file (the .sam stands for sample) and can be used by removing the .sam extension so the name is just "Hosts". This file should be edited with a text editor, such as Notepad, and not a word processor, such as Microsoft Word or Wordpad.

Windows users should also verify that they are showing extensions for all file types. This will help verify that the Hosts file is named correctly (and also enable you to find it). To reset Windows to show all file extensions, double click on My Computer. Go to View Menu (Win95/98/ME) or Tools Menu (Win2000/XP), and select Folder Options. Click the View tab. In the Files and Folders section, DESELECT (uncheck) the item named "Hide file extensions for known file types". Show hidden and system files. Click Apply, and then click OK.

2) Add these line(s) to the Hosts file:

127.0.0.1 google.com
127.0.0.1 yahoo.com

3) Save your changes.

4) Reboot your computer.

Linux/Unix:: ((generic,) your distro may differ slightly, read your documentation)
1) Edit the hosts file on your system. The hosts file is usually found in:
/etc/hosts

2) Add these entries to the Hosts file:

127.0.0.1 google.com
127.0.0.1 yahoo.com

Note: Some distros (Debian and others) may have "hosts.allow" and "hosts.deny" files as well as the "hosts" file. I won't cover specifics here...

3) Now make sure this file is used for host name lookups. This is done in two files (on most systems). First is:
/etc/host.conf

This file should have at least the line shown below:

order hosts,bind

That has host lookups use the hosts file before doing a DNS query with bind.

The next file is:
/etc/nsswitch.conf

The nsswitch.conf file should have this line for the hosts configuration:

hosts: files dns

Note: There will probably already be a similar line in your version of this file. Just make sure "files" comes before whatever other methods are listed.

There is no need to reboot your system. Cool

Macintosh OS X::
With Macintosh OS X, the procedure is similar to Linux above. The hosts file can be found in
/etc/hosts

Macintosh OS 9::

1) Look in System Folder::Preferences, and in the System Folder itself, and see if you have a file named "Hosts". If not, create one in a text editor.

2) Add these entries to the Hosts file:

google.com A 127.0.0.1
yahoo.com A 127.0.0.1

Note: Spaces should work, but it is recommended that you separate the three entries on each line by tabs.

2) Place the Hosts file in System Folder:: Preferences and reboot your Mac.

If you have an older Mac that is using MacTCP instead of Open Transport, try putting the Hosts file in the System Folder.

Note from the Apple Tech Info Library:

Open Transport TCP/IP automatically uses a Hosts file stored the Preferences folder of the active System Folder. If no Hosts file is found in the Preferences folder, Open Transport TCP/IP searches the active System Folder for a Hosts file.

This means that if you don't already have a Hosts file, and you just drop it in your System Folder and reboot, it will work. However, System Folder::Preferences is the default and recommended location for all systems using Open Transport.

* Additional Configuration Options

You can configure TCP/IP to use the contents of this new Hosts file, which will activate the Hosts file without having to reboot.

To do this:
a) Open the TCP/IP control panel.
b) Get into Advanced user mode by:
+ selecting the User Mode command under the Edit menu.
+ In the User Mode dialog select Advanced then click OK.
c) Click on the Select Hosts File button.
d) In the File Open file dialog that comes up, naviagate to and select the Hosts file you created.
e) Click on OK if it asks you if you are sure you want to replace the Hosts File with the contents of the selected file.
f) Close TCP/IP control panel and click OK to save the configuration.

The above procedure will copy the contents of the file selected into the Hosts file in the Preferences folder, or create one there if none exists.

------

Additionally (and perhaps easier for some than editing hosts files), Mozilla Firefox (and Flock?) users can install content filtering browser extensions for even more control with images, annoying ads etc. The Adblock extension can not only block particular content on pages you browse, but can be configured for Site Blocking from the "Options" tab once installed. Simply set it up and add "google.com" and your other suspect web privacy violators to the blacklist. A companion extension: Adblock Filterset.G Updater provides a blacklist updated by others and does not overwrite your personal entries into the blacklist.

You may also be able to block (not bounce, that would be an illegal DoS against "Them", though they should be DoSed IMO!) email from gmail.com and other privacy intruding domains before it gets to your computer. Check with your ISP for more info on how to block unwanted email from the dirtbag corp/NSA domains.

Thanks! to everyone who contributed to this thread.

On edit: added more info
Continuity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, obeylittle, the HOSTS file blocking trick is a good one that I've been using for years now without any probs, and have posted about here before, in the context of blocking unwanted/untrusted sites/domains, but to also block about 90%+ of web-advertising from reaching your computer screen.

I just download the HOSTS file from:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.zip

They maintain an up-to-date list of the majority of advert-servers and quite a few unsavoury sites/domains, and you can just copy/paste the headers in your existing HOSTS file to the top of their one. It works a treat!

I find that in Linux, you have to be careful to make sure that an entry exists pointing to your local machine name to stop your system from being fucked-up - an entry like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 yourmachinename

And if you are one of the 0.1% of people who use IPv6, then also something like:

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

As well.

It's a great, easy technique to use, as it's simple, and it works. For Wind0ze users, it's as simple as downloading the HOSTS file from mpvs.org's link I gave above, and then you can use Notepad or something to add your own domains/sites that you want to block to the top of it, like obeylittle said.

Cat Haiku
elbowdeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is Done...

Quote:
Google buys YouTube for 1.65 billion dollars

Posted by Stuart Miles
09 October 2006 - Google has announced that it has agreed to purchase YouTube for $1.65 billion in stock marking the company's largest acquisition in its eight-year history.

As we reported Monday the blogosphere has been speculating for months about how to price YouTube, which so far has failed to monetise the traffic to the site, which is estimated at 32 million visitors each month.

Google is expected to use the social networking site to earn up to £800,000 each month serving its own advertising next to videos as they play, thus garnering revenue.

The deal was reportedly developed in less than a week, and is a massive sum for a company with just 67 employees that was founded only 19 months ago.

"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," Google CEO Eric Schmidt said in a statement.

"By joining forces with Google, we can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new opportunities for our partners," remarked YouTube CEO and co-founder Chad Hurley.

YouTube, launched in February 2005, has grown quickly into one of the most popular websites on the internet.

It has 100 million videos viewed every day and an estimated 20 million individual visitors each month.

The acquisition is expected to close before the end of the year.

It's been a busy day for YouTube, the company also announced it has signed agreements with Universal Music, Sony BMG, and CBS for their content to be included in YouTube users’ created content.

The deals come after an initial agreement with Warner Music, who signed up its content last month.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=5087

Hocus Locus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Why I use GMail Reply with quote

Why I use GMail

* All the usual (wow!) features
* SSL encrypted pop3 pickup (pop.gmail.com:995)
* SSL encrypted smtp dropoff (smtp.gmail.com:465) with implicit 'From:' address rewrite
* No ads appear in or around my email with pop3 pickup.

Privacy cons:
* Email dropped off via smtp *does* carry 'Received:' header with ip address of origin, but I recognize that this is as much an issue of enabling the world's spam cops to detect automated spam injectors as anything else. I am not using it to 'anonymize' email to disguise my geographical or ip location.

The use of SSL for pickup and delivery means that casual listeners or system administrators from my copper to local DMARC to carrier to ISP network to Internet to pop.gmail.com, are not patched in to the 'plaintext' loop, only traffic analysis is possible.

This relegates plaintext exposure of my email to those watching it enter Google's gateways... and the paths my email takes on its way to and from GMail. Which is as much as any email gateway service could offer; unless you encrypt end-to-end Internet is plaintext heaven.

Google themselves can read my email. Check. Nothing new in the Internet world; I'd only take offense if I cought them trying to claim otherwise. There is 'junk science' and then there is 'junk technobabble'.

It is also possible that the private keys for the signed SSL certificates Google uses on their servers (pop3, smtp and www) have been 'leaked' to various parties, by wartime 'hook' or by black bag operation 'crook'. This potential for exposure is endemic to all public key systems.

Imagine you are Chief of Ops at Google and are approached by friendly spooks; you're given a choice: either (1) Let our people come in and install our stuff and help you run your operation... or, (2) Just slip me a single diskette here and now with all your privates on it.... Or (3) Unspecified 'good golly miss molly what'll we tell our stockholders then?' threat. They pick the bachelor behind door number 2. Western Union did during WWII and for an embarassing time afterwards, to a comparable degree.

If I have the private keys to the SSL certs of the servers you are connecting to, I can see the session key, read the traffic. Fact of life. So Yahoo is somewhat Canadian flavoured... so was Operation Vigilant Drop-Your-Pants. "Who ya gonna call??"

As far as I am concerned there is only one place in the world I am confident your email would be safe, so long as it stays within the borders of course: My own server... so long as I am the only admin and I am reasonably assured it is locked down properly. That's as honest and direct an answer as you could get anywhere.

When I have a true secret to keep, I tell it to myself...
and try not to move my lips, HAL is watching.
__
Open the pod bay door, HAL.
I heard you the first time, Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> State Terror: 9/11, 7/7, CIA Fakes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: