FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Pink-eyed Teflon Cows - What you need to know....

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
kathy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Pink-eyed Teflon Cows - What you need to know.... Reply with quote

In the late 1990s, cows on a farm there started dying inexplicably. First they developed pink eye. And then they started acting strangely. “They acted like crazy cattle,” recalls farmer Della Tennant. “You had to be careful when you got out in the field with them, because they would chase you.”

In the end, the Tennants lost almost 300 cattle. “They died horrible deaths,” says Della. “It was awful… it was the most terrifying thing I had ever seen.”

What could be the cause? The Tennants didn’t have to look further than a nearby creek. They noticed frothy foam that Della says would sometimes rise six feet above the top of the water. “The fish were dying. That’s when we started getting suspicious,” she says.

The Tennants were suspicious of a corporate giant located just over the hill from their farm: DuPont, known for the brand name Teflon.

The Tennants sued DuPont. The case was settled out of court.

The Tennant's lawsuit paved the way for another case, a class action over contaminated drinking water. DuPont settled again in that case.

“We felt that people needed to know what was in their water,” says Della. What was in the water was the chemical at the heart of our investigation: high levels of perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA. It's a chemical DuPont makes at its plant in Parkersburg, West Virginia.

DuPont is one of the largest chemical companies in North America. It has a plant just over the hill from the Tennants' farm.

Secret memos speak of birth defects and cancer
The lawsuits uncover another clue in the stain-repellent mystery: secret internal DuPont memos that expose how dangerous PFOA can be. The documents reveal that:

* DuPont knew for decades that rats exposed to PFOA had developed liver damage.
* Two workers with high levels of PFOA in their blood had babies with eye and face defects [see the document].

DuPont dumped the same chemical, PFOA, into a landfill. It leached into a creek that the Tennants’ cattle drank from. “It makes me really sad that a company as big and as well-known as Dupont could do such a thing,” says Della.....

Continue Reading:
There's something in the air, and it may be coming from your carpet
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/teflon/index.html

Quote:
Also:
Harmful Teflon Chemical To Be Eliminated by 2015
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/25/AR2006012502041.htm
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Pots N' Pans? Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for this post - I've been hearing a lot about teflon recently, due to it's ban making the news. It also reminds me that I've been basically sidestepping a lot of the valuable health info on BFN. I keep telling myself I'm gonna 'get to it', but I keep putting it off. I think I know why.

This topic scares the hell out of me. Maintainance of a functioning human body is a daunting task - considering I have absolutely no idea how this thing works. Not to mention, so far, I feel I've never been given a good idea of what the hell is actually good or bad for you - or maybe I just coudn't hear over the McDonald's ads and the beer commercials.

My relationship with food has basically been, "OK, now I'm starving. I gotta eat something."
And that something has been everything from 4 monster tacos, to a cup of brown rice, tofu, and a lotus flower - and everything in between.

Now, I just eat whatever the heck I want, and try to follow a simple guideline -

less processed = 'better'.
more processed = 'worse'.

And I try to follow some sort of 'balance', which means if I find I've got the drive thru menu completely memorized, maybe I should go home and make a salad.

Anyway, thanks for your dedication - and if the health topics don't seem as 'popular' - I think it's cause you're hitting close to home, and requiring folks to really take responsibility for themselves. Which we don't want to do. Cause it's scary. And we're babies.

now...

That PFOA sounds like nasty stuff.

I plan on following those links, but I have a quick, practical question.

Should I immediately toss my 'no-stick' cookware?
Is this a no-brainer?

Thanks Kathy!
-Jerry
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: and now I become a complete pain in the ass Reply with quote

Sorry to hog this thread, but in an effort to answer my frying pan question, I took a look at the teflon - dupont links, and I still don't have an answer - not by a long shot.

In fact, something in the frying pan smells kinda fishy.

The second link didn't work, but clicking on the first, I got the cbc article, which repeated all the concerns and pointed out the settlement reached between dupont and the EPA for 16 mil. Cool. I clicked on the link eager to find out how they busted dupont and whom they killed.

Now, I feel bad for the Tenneants' cows and by no means do I think dupont deserves an award for humanitarian achievement, but something in this reporting stinks, and I get that funny feeling again that I'm being emotionally jabbed to look the other way. What am I being distracted from? I dunno, but I think this 'issue' is being blown up to hide a larger problem.

First off, dupont was busted for failing to file information, not for killin nobody. They were 'nailed' over

Quote:
... the company's failure to report possible health risks associated with perfluorooctanoic acid,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/14/AR2005121402275.html

So, they didn't turn over the data. They just paid a fine, or rather reached a settlement. In a civil suit. That means it's a money thing, right? In fact, it's a lot of money. More than OJ.

Quote:
The fine, the largest civil administrative penalty the agency has ever obtained ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/14/AR2005121402275.html

Somebody got a fat bonus. That's a lot of bread for forgetting to file paperwork. Turns out, dupont's got a history of forgetting to file the health information regarding this PFOA crap.

Quote:
The agreement, which is subject to approval by the EPA's Environmental Appeals Board, ends the agency's 16-month push to hold DuPont accountable for not turning over evidence to the government from as far back as 1981 about the substance also known as PFOA. That evidence documented that the compound -- which is used to produce nonstick and stain-resistant materials -- could be transferred from a woman to her baby via the placenta. Other studies showed rats dying after inhaling the chemical.

1981? Frickin 81? And 16 months ago, somebody at the EPA said, "Hey, dupont still forgot to send those papers..." This reeks of long term payoff. Not to mention, the 'Appeals Board' still gets to decide if they can skim enough off the 'settlement' to make it worth their while - they could decide to sh*tcan the whole thing, and I'll bet there wouldn't be a peep out of the Post. Then, the mysterious sentence beginning with 'that evidence'. What evidence is THAT? Some nameless "Evidence" that babies are born with PFOA, and rats that get a lot of it do indeed eventually die. Sketchy. Well the only thing we know scientifically for sure, is that it is IN ALL OF OUR BLOODSTREAMS!

Quote:
The other surprise in the mystery is that PFOA has been found in the blood of people on four continents. In fact, almost every Canadian has small --but detectable-- levels of PFOA in their blood.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/teflon/reach.html

So come on guys, that 16 mil will get y'all some nice new office furniture, but when exactly is this shit gonna KILL us?

This settlement ain't no victory, unless you're an accountant at the EPA. In their eyes, believe it or not, it looks like this:

Quote:
"This is an unprecedented penalty, in the administrative context."

Yeah, print that on your gravestone, chump. It also sounds like somebody in West Virginia worked hard on this 'case'.

Quote:
As part of the accord, the company agreed to spend $1.25 million over the next three years on a "green chemistry" project in Wood County, W.Va., to reduce the risks some chemicals pose in schools, and $5 million to gauge whether nine of DuPont's products might degrade into PFOA over time.

I especially like the extra 5 mil slotted for 'gauging' whether dupont products might BECOME PFOA! What the hell? Aren't they MADE out of it for chrissake? How about WHEN is it going to fucking KILL US?

Hmmm. That question still seems to be up in the air.

Quote:

The EPA is considering whether PFOA is a health risk to humans and should be regulated. The chemical has been linked to cancer and possible birth defects in animals, and the agency's scientific advisory board is to announce soon whether it considers it a possible or likely human carcinogen.

Susan Hazen, the EPA's principal deputy assistant administrator for the Office of Prevention, Pesticides, and Toxic Substances, said the additional studies are "essential in terms of contributing to our knowledge about the pathways of exposure" to PFOA. She said that while several animal studies suggest health risks associated with the substance, the agency has no reason right now "to believe there's a significant human health impact."

So there it is, finally - "No reason right now to believe there's a significant human health impact." Well, doesn't that just make me want to go fry an egg. Sure, it sucks that it's in my blood, but this article is deliberately trying to make me FEEL that there IS a significant human health impact, and that makes me smell fishy distraction agenda. This is some sort of payola dodge under the cover of an emotional, frightening, 'environmental watchdog' issue - and perhaps a media stopgap to divert public attention from the true scope of the problem. What is this PFOA really doing to us? Worse still, what other four letter dupont chemical nightmare could the fall of PFOA be directing attention away from?

Quote:
"This settlement sends a strong message that companies are responsible for promptly informing EPA about risk information associated with their chemicals,"

Yeah, well to me it says if you want to make continue to make billions of dollars polluting the planet and killing people, make sure your hush money payments to the EPA are on time.

The late fee is a real stinger.
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Ditch the Teflon Reply with quote

I haven't got time to go dig up the links, but I've done some reading on
the issue... and i would definitely ditch the teflon-covered pots 'n pans.

Use a polished stainless steel variety. The ones with a double-skin buffer
base don't tend to stick food.

And happy eating Very Happy
pauper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reject Teflon as a matter of taste. Teflon pans can't reach a very high temperature, so they give you a bad sear. Also, they're terrible for browning. Only lazy people use Teflon pots and pans. Stainless steel with a copper base is the way to go.
But from a health standpoint, the Teflon on pans is inert and non reactive. Should you ingest it, it will travel through your system and out. No worries there.
The big danger is with processed food packaging, laced with a non-stick Teflon coating, where the coating degrades and leaks on the food. That's what enters your system and has the potential of causing cancers. It's stored in your fat deposits and doesn't leave.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it that much. There are so many things that cause cancer and still most people live to see old age. Is life that precious? Really?

EDIT: Here's a couple of links. ABC News have covered this story extensively. They have a whistleblower on video.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=1321026
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=1325178
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Deafened by Whistles Reply with quote

Yeah, whistleblower. Former employee. 22 years. Good disinfo always has at least one. I think the whistle comes with the 'severance' check.

How's a disgruntled former employee get a spill yer guts feature on ABC? Well it's news, ain't it? Besides, dupont's got no influence over ABC, and besides, ABC is owned by Disney, what' dupont got to do with disney?

Well, technically not much, but I wonder what these guys chat about in the buffet line at the yacht club?

You get my drift.

I think the 'teflon' issue is a red herring. It's probably leeching into our fries, but in concentrations like that probably not a huge threat. That's why it's becoming the 'story.' I'm gonna keep this quick and to the point. The PFOA that is leaking out of the factories and into the water supplies, THAT'S THE THREAT - and that's what's gonna get brushed under the rug beneath the press about the pizza boxes.

Look, the big story is 'Dupont possibly suppressed evidence about the pizza boxes.' They got 'busted' by the environmental 'watchdog' cause of the 'whistleblower' and had to cough up sixteen million dollars. ouch.

Well the last line - THE LAST LINE - of the ABC news story is very interesting - very interesting considering an administrative penalty for 16 mill got this kind of press:

Quote:
DuPont also remains the target of another class-action suit over PFOA seeking $5 billion.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=1321026&page=3

FIVE BILLION? Hello? That's a lotta pizza boxes. That's like a lotta sick people money.

My initial hunch is that the pizza box issue is being fronted in the press to take the heat off and wear it out in the press. People will find out teflon won't kill you, whistleblowers will sob, dupont will fire a paper pusher or two, and the poor folks living near a dupont plant will continue to die young.

I have a feeling that in high concentrations, like in or around dupont plants, this PFOA might be really bad. So bad they want to make sure ABC news is busy with pizza box stories. True, it's only one more horror in a life full of em, but if you live in West Virginia, or near a dupont plant, I'd recommend bottled water - for showering.
OhZone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, that is pretty bad, but I'll bet you did not know that those cattle likely ended up in the food that you are giving to your beloved dogs.
________
buy easy vape vaporizer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Health All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: