FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
book review / movie review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Creative Xpress
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Rumpl4skn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched There Will Be Blood last night, for which Daniel Day Lewis won Best Actor. The award was definitely earned, as he is phenomenal in this movie.

Based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil", it chronicles the exploits of Daniel Plainview, a 1920's oilman in the dangerously competitive, early days of the cutthroat California crude (pun intended) industry.

The music track is odd and off-beat, and while bothersome at first, I realize now how it added to the whole uncomfortable feel of the film. Paul Dano (the self-muted brother in Little Miss Sunshine) plays a young driven preacher (also played excellently), who while constantly at odds with Plainview, eventually details how religion and corporate capitalism are often the same menace in different clothes.

To me, the triumph of the movie is how convincingly Plainview is portrayed as a ambitiously despicable, greedy prick, yet I felt oddly empathetic for him throughout.

Best line: "Bastard in a basket!!! Bastard in a basket!!" Laughing

(edited to fix 2nd grade spelling error)

Last edited by Rumpl4skn on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EddieT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumpl4skn wrote:
Watched There Will Be Blood last night, for which Daniel Day Lewis won Best Actor. The award was definitely earned, as he is phenomenal in this movie.

Based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil", it's chronicles the exploits of Daniel Plainview, a 1920's oilman in the dangerously competitive, early days of the cutthroat California crude (pun intended) industry.

The music track is odd and off-beat, and while bothersome at first, I realize now how it added to the whole uncomfortable feel of the film. Paul Dano (the self-muted brother in Little Miss Sunshine) plays a young driven preacher (also played excellently), who while constantly at odds with Plainview, eventually details how religion and corporate capitalism are often the same menace in different clothes.

To me, the triumph of the movie is how convincingly Plainview is portrayed as a ambitiously despicable, greedy prick, yet I felt oddly empathetic for him throughout.

Best line: "Bastard in a basket!!! Bastard in a basket!!" Laughing

Ive been meaning to go see that one. maybe tonight is the night.

I am just about finished up with "the Monkey Wrech Gang" by Edward Abbey. Very enjoyable read. I have been a big Charles Bowden fan for years, and now I realize that Chuck is basically Abbey, a bit dumbed down and slutted up. Still love his stuff though.

I'm reading now that there is a movie in production based on the book. The question seems to be, who will play Hayduke? I've read Matthew McConaughey, Jack Black...McConaughey seems to be the choice and would be OK but I would like to see Christian Bale...Batman is probably too busy though. Colin Farrell would be good too.

Dennis Hopper seems to be out. Thank God.

Wu Li

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just seen "Into the Wild"
I enjoyed this one a lot. It could be because my mind is set on visiting a remote Forest very soon on a peaceful holiday but there is much more to the story line. Breaking free of the mental constraints of modernity perhaps.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

The movie "the Man from Earth" was a pretty good flick also.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Checkem out!

Smile

RockDock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wu Li wrote:
I have just seen "Into the Wild"
I enjoyed this one a lot. It could be because my mind is set on visiting a remote Forest very soon on a peaceful holiday but there is much more to the story line. Breaking free of the mental constraints of modernity perhaps.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

The movie "the Man from Earth" was a pretty good flick also.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Checkem out!

Smile

Hi Wu Li, I read "Into the Wild" a few years ago. As much as I enjoyed the book, it really bugged me that the idiot protagonist refused all local assistance when he got to Alaska. Including a map and a rifle. The map would have shown him that not two miles from where he discovered the river was now too wide to cross, the Forestry people in Alaska had put in a cable car. Across the river. Because the river was often too wide, too deep, and too fast to merely wade across as he had done in the spring.

The locals knew that. The map showed it.

The rifle would have allowed him to eat some meat. Eating only rabbits will kill you from malnutrition.

He basically committed suicide over a couple of months.

If you do go and visit that remote forest Wu Li, please take a map and a compass and know how to use them. Also take along at least a good hunting knife and good quality bush axe. If you stay in the States some sort of firearm is useful for fending off bears. If you are in Canada only long guns are allowed in the woods but not in any national or provincial parks. Bear spray can be a useful item, especially when you can't be armed!

If you are going "survivalist mode" then I recommend reading the book "Northern Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski. The authour is a guy who really can live in the bush starting with only an axe and a knife.
EddieT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: The Happening Reply with quote

In M. Night Shyamalan's latest offering "The Happening", which was originally called "The Green Effect" (dear LORD!), the plants revolt against the people. From what I have read, it appears the plants begin regarding humans as pests, and release a neurotoxin that causes them to kill themselves.

The reviews have been poor for this one, but it is of course touching off annoying global warming debates all over the net.

If global warming really is the meme by which the PTB hope to eventually depopulate the planet, this might be the perfect flick to get people used to the idea. At least the movie apparently sucks.

What about a flick about a down on his luck farmer who manages to cultivate a plant that attacks the likes of Monsanto and other giant agribusiness conglomerates, greedy developers, etc.? I might watch that one.

bornfree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: the Man from Earth Reply with quote

I loved this film. I liked the fact that the subject matter and characters were the focus of the film

The film screened at the Comic-Con Film Festival in July 2007, and premiered in Hemet, California, in October 2007. It won the grand prize for Best Screenplay and first place for Best Feature at the Rhode Island Film Festival in August 2007.

The Man from Earth is a 2007 film written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Richard Schenkman. The film stars David Lee Smith as John Oldman. The screenplay for this movie was conceived by Jerome Bixby in the early 1960s and was completed on his death bed in April of 1998, making it his final piece of work. [1]

The film tells a story of John Oldman, a man claiming to be a 14,000 year old Cro-Magnon caveman, who survives until the present day. The entire film is shot in a small house and its porch, relying solely on the conversation of the characters to keep the plot moving, with no special effects, actions, or fancy music as the whole film is no more than an intellectual discourse between the 14,000-year-old Cro-Magnon and his professor and teacher friends at his farewell party.

PS

I also enjoy JUMPER. This has all the action of The Borne Identity films in a sci-fi genre. I loved this film for its realism and its action. As with the Borne Identity which has lots of action yet also has a good story JUMPER is also a great action film with a cool story.

The Man from Earth and Jumper, two great films.

Hope you enjoy them as much as my wife and I did.

Two thumbs up.
RedMahna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to the movies in a long time, but maybe I might try to see that Bush movie and that one about Religious.

Lately, I'm reading Apocalypse 2012. It's in the science section of books stores, not the new age section. It's intermediate reading, nothing overwhelming for laypeople. Explains global warming/ cooling, actual events that would lead to major changes and even catastrophe (like volcanic eruptions). Goes into some info about indigenous spirituality, but only to describe along with other prophetic realms how there may be some real forethought while mixed with superstition, and as we know, fear-mongering as a control mechanism in much of that stuff.

The author doesn't want to crudely debunk Mayans or anything. His point is more scientific. He gets a bit into the wrongs (past, present and future) of political society, but again, the book is mostly a scientific perspective when it comes to where the planet is going.

red

atm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'W.'

Discuss.

atm
RedMahna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went to see W and Religious last sunday, and they were both weak.

Bush jr was presented as the son who resented his father's help and constantly seemed to think he was doing things on his own steam, only to be reminded in ways (to him or to the audience, depending) that poppy got him there or straightened his messes out.

Cheney's character was played the best - too bad no real dirt ever came out from either Cheney, Rove or Rummy. Cheney's rationale for invading Iraq in his words (in the movie) were for control of the mid-east oil supply.

Religious was somewhat more entertaining, but I think better questions could have been posed to interviewees. Nonetheless, the subtitles (Maher's thoughts) while doing Q&A's were funny.

Worth seeing after both become DVDs. Rent them instead to conserve money. I remember now why Blair Witch was my last movie theatre venture. Waste of money.

red

RedMahna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, i'm still reading the Apocalypse 2012 book. it's one of those books i keep in my car and take whenever i have to sit and wait for appointments, or whatever.
it examines the scientific basis (sun spots, planetary alignment, solar system's move into stormy areas) for natural occurances that the author and other scientists believe point to what many faiths and ancient peoples have been saying in their own prophetic or twisted ways concerning some great upheaval on earth.

i know i posted on this already. it seems pretty convincing, all the data, yet no real discussion on it here on BFN... what does a financial meltdown have to do with anything? maybe a lot. but rather we scramble around trying to keep up the facade of all these stupid human "accomplishments" and others running around pointing them out (as if we had the power, silly us) - meanwhile, we can't even face the mortality of our entire existence, nevermind try to come together.

Hate and greed, to the bitter end.

red

tellytell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: All the neem friends lets get up'n go! Your face Never Lies! Reply with quote

Has anyone read read your face never lies? By Michio Kushi?

We have a collective of yoga teachers who do massage, here in the states and we are interested in sharing the Neemwell efforts to make neem available!

We feel neem fits perfectly into our efforts to add asian diagnosis to our yoga healing skills, and is something that we can suggest to people.

In the book, she touches on macrobiotics a little, and touches on the constitution and condition of plants... It might be a great way to open up the topic of neem with people who are new or seeking to integrate this stuff...

We have made your face never lies a required reading at our yoga studio...

Wu Li

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FAIL SAFE"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/

I found this oldie a couple a weeks ago when I was bored.
Oldie but a pretty good one.
I enjoyed the fact that they spoke of certain capabilities back then that the everyday Jo Shmo still do not get today.
Interesting flick for a black and white ole dialogue style.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Creative Xpress All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: