FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Internet 'whiz kids' murdered ? Bush/DNC & Global Crossi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Cracrocrates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Internet 'whiz kids' murdered ? Bush/DNC & Global Crossi Reply with quote

In the Terence McKenna thread, Ormond mentioned:
Quote:
"Many of you who followed the development of 'IT' during the 1990s and remember the several 'whiz kids' that created brilliant innovations may have noticed that between 1997-2001 quite a few of them were found dead--the usual gunshot wound to the head, car and plane accidents, etc."

Does anybody know who these whiz kids were ?

I tried some web searching, and only came up with Tron, a 26-year-old Berlin hacker who invented an encrypted telephone - the Cryptophon - who was found hanging from a tree in Oct. 1998; police called it suicide,but the family had doubts.
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_(hacker) [/url]
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,17050,00.html

Tangentially - as far as the internet is concerned - George H.W. Bush as well as DNC chairman Terry McAuliffe made boatloads off a cable/wire/bandwidth laying company Global Crossing. Bush got stock instead of $80K for giving a speech (and not vomiting) in Japan 1998, worth a couple million just 1 year later; McAulliffe invested 100K, which Drudge said was worth a cool $18M at one point.

Global Crossing started going belly-up around the same time as the Enron fiasco, but I think GC execs got off EXTREMELY LIGHT with no jail time considering GC EXECS DID AS MUCH INSIDER TRADING AS THE ENRON GUYS - $1.3 BILLION http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Crossing

GC was not a dot-com bust with no business model; it had assets. The wiki says " Global Crossing's bankruptcy filing listed total assets of $22.4 billion and debts amounting to $12.4 billion. " Uh, does that mean the company is worth 10 Billion net ? Singapore Tech bought the company for $750M. According to http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NVN/is_49_23/ai_112168052
, sounds like Singapore Tech only had to put $250M down at closing, the resulting company came out of bankruptcy in debt only $200M, and GC by itself still had sales revenue of $3 Billion.

Is there anything more sinister about GC then just a pump-and-dump for money, along with politicos making out like bandits ? In 1999, GC bought Global Marine, a company that "can be traced back to 1850 when the ship Goliath laid the first international submarine telegraph cable to link Britain to France."
http://www.globalmarinesystems.com/com_history.asp Probably nothing, except the insider trading part. Playing devil's advocate, maybe GC just was overextended at a time when the going rate for bandwidth dropped in half.

I find it interesting that residential internet access spread as quickly as it did around the world and even in the US;personally, i would have thought that modern access would have taken another ten years with bullshit HDTV (but oh so addictive)coming first to zombie-fie the nation. Japan,Germany, and even Canada might have faster internet, but all of those countries have populations less spread out.

Maybe if HDTV had been around during 9-11, the populace would not settle for grainy photos/videos of: towers collapsing, pentagon being attacked, and (most especially) some backwards BILLIONAIRE(but with a civil engineering degree) telling us he wants to bomb us back into the stone age.
Just think about all the media and political spin. Anybody know here that, for example, JIMMY CARTER might have had a family who owned peanut farms, but his degree in college was for NUCLEAR ENGINEERING ? Carter and his minions hired Volcker as Fed Reserve chairman, and pretty soon the interest rates doubled the costs of long-range commercial projects like nuclear reactors. I don't think there's been a new reactor (or even oil refinery) built since the early 1980s.

Church of Crac motto:
"The End is Nigh. Give me a Dollar."

--Cracrocrates
Ormond

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I recall.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,53704,00.html

I didn't keep a log on these unfortunately, I only recall a couple of years that they were dropping like biogenetics scientists. Cause of deaths varied--auto crash, private airplane crash, a few suicides.
I can't recall the names--these were guys only hardcore 90's geeks--the real ones--would remember for their innovations. I recall one was a Linux developer. These weren't software developers, the connection that made me wonder was most were internet innovators. I'm looking for more, but without names engine search terms are crap shoot. If anyone else recalls any, please post them. I would be useful to have a list to re-examine the trend. It was between 2000-2002.

The spin on all the reports (mostly found on Wired and Reuters), included more or less the following statement:

Quote:
according to some of his friends. They had hoped Kan was winning his hard-fought battle against depression exacerbated by personal problems.

WIRED posted this disclaimer at the head of the obituary containing the above statement.

Quote:
Reader's advisory: Wired News has been unable to confirm some sources for a number of stories written by this author. If you have any information about sources cited in this article, please send an e-mail to sourceinfo[AT]wired.com.

Quote:

Wikipedia article on Gene Kan

Gene Kan (1976 - 2002) was a peer-to-peer file-sharing programmer who was among the first programmers to produce an open-source version of the file-sharing application that implemented the Gnutella protocol. Kan worked together with Spencer Kimball on the program called gnubile licensed under the GPL. Kan graduated from the University of California, Berkeley in 1997 with a major in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

In June 2000, he formed a distributed search engine known as InfraSearch.com. Netscape co-founder Marc Andreessen was an investor in the start-up. InfraSearch was purchased by Sun Microsystems on March 6, 2001 for $12.5M USD in Sun stock options. The acquisition became part of the JXTA project at Sun. Kan joined Sun as an employee, and continued to work with the technology.

Kan was relatively well known in internet circles for a testimony he gave in July 2000 at the Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing on Intellectual Property in the Digital Age [1]. Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, Sony CEO Fred Ehrlich, and others also gave testimony at those hearings.

Kan had long been suffering from depression and was taking Prozac. On June 29th, 2002, he committed suicide. The cause of death was a single gun shot wound to the head. Kan was 25. Prior to taking his life, Kan updated an electronic copy of his resume hosted on a University of California, Berkeley server to read "Summary: Sad example of a human being. Specializing in failure.".

An independent documentary film was planned for Gene Kan, but it never started shooting.

Well, everybody has personal problems and depression sometimes. Kan was on Prozac. Most people between age 25 and 30 seem to get through it -- even without being multi-millionaires. Doesn't mean these weren't simply suicides, it can happen.

For a clear statement on Gene Kan's mind-set, read his own statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing on Intellectual Property in the Digital Age--aka the Gnutzilla/Napster hearings. (the above link)

The other common denominator was that I noticed the deaths were of leaders of the 'independent internet' vision. They wanted to keep it open source, free public access.
We all remember that corporate interests and the government put the foot down on the free peer to peer direction. I have no proof at all that he was killed for being a potential innovator of new ways to get around corporate and government control, but I do recognize that independent geniuses are percieved as a threat to control.

Ormond

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one wasn't an IT innovator, but in the field of alternative energy.
A common denominator between these guys is that they were influential activists. Real ones, not the phony ones they distract us with, like Al Gore and Charlie Sheen.

Insight into Mallove's writings, 2002

Quote:
Dr. Eugene Mallove, Torch Bearer for Cold Fusion, Slain

Editor of Infinite Energy magazine brutally killed May 14. Left MIT faculty position in 1989 in protest over what he considered to be rigged data intended to debunk Cold Fusion.

By Marc J. Plotkin and Marc Whitford
Pure Energy Systems News
May 15, 2004

NORWICH, CT, USA

Dr. Eugene Mallove, the tireless spokesperson for integrity and honesty in cold fusion research, whose persistent efforts finally persuaded the U.S. Department of Energy to give the phenomenon a second look after 15 years of denial and stonewalling, was killed in Norwich, CT on 14 May 2004. Few facts are known, but preliminary information suggests that it may have been a robbery or possibly a landlord-tenant dispute. Local police are still investigating. There is no word on the identity or motives of the assailant(s) and there is no evidence currently of a political connection to his murder.

Dr. Mallove’s contributions to Cold Fusion and new energy research cannot be overstated. His passion for integrity and relentless search for the truth emerged fully in 1989 when he resigned in protest from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. over their manipulation of test data to make a Pons-Fleischmann replication study appear to show a negative result.

More than anyone, Dr. Mallove was the public face of Cold Fusion proclaiming in many public appearances the existence of overwhelming peer-reviewed scientifically-based evidence for Cold Fusion. Gene, as he was known to his friends and colleagues, was courageous when he stood face-to-face against numerous vocal detractors and skeptics from the mainstream scientific establishment for over a decade. He tirelessly knocked down every hollow argument put forward by skeptics with hard data, logic, and solid research results.

The author of several books, in 1991, he published “Fire and Ice”, which helped rescue the field of cold fusion from oblivion when it was publicly banished in the public relations scandals after Pons-Fleischman's announcement of Cold Fusion in June 1989.

His greatest accomplishment and legacy will be the 52 bi-monthly magazine issues of Infinite Energy that he founded and edited. Infinite Energy magazine is a compendium of scientific research into all branches of unconventional energy research from contributors around the world. Many of the authors simply couldn't get published elsewhere, but had the courage and foresight to get most papers peer-reviewed before they were published. His magazine has thousands of loyal subscribers from over 40 countries including Russia and China. See www.infinite-energy.com.

Gene traveled to dozens of international conferences, most of the time at great personal sacrifice simply to network with energy researchers and benefactors from around the world. He knew nearly everyone in the unconventional energy community worldwide. Gene has been a champion of cold fusion for many years highlighted by his organizing last summer's successful International Conference on Cold Fusion (ICCF-10) held in Cambridge, Massachusetts from 24- 29 August 2003. Gene's presence has been the rare voice of scientific reason in a field filled with many phony claims and charlatans. See the web page with the experiments at http://www.lenr-canr.org/Experiments.htm.

Equally significant but perhaps not as well known is the New Energy Foundation, which he founded with the help of a generous wealthy anonymous benefactor. The New Energy Foundation has become a science-based clearinghouse, generating much needed funds for promising energy research leading to commercialization.

His latest triumph was to reverse over a decade of ignorance at the Department of Energy by presenting compelling evidence of anomalous reactions of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR). DOE's decision to review the files on LENR aka Cold Fusion could possibly open a new area of scientific inquiry that has been closed since 1989. This was a triumph not just for Gene personally, but for every scientist who spoke as lone voices in large auditoriums. Gene's voice gave courage to those brave individuals who toiled in their laboratories, struggling to survive with virtually no funding. Despite their challenges, many developed innovative ways produce low energy nuclear reactions. Researchers often put their careers in jeopardy, and some only approached this field when a retirement pension was assured.

Gene tirelessly climbed every mountain with courage and grace articulating truth in a field meriting serious scientific investigation of anomalous energy phenomena despite constant criticism from ignorant skeptics who refused to examine even the best peer-reviewed data. One of the best examples of his battles was when he eviscerated Professor Bob Park's book "Voodoo Science."

"Gene's vision was of a world with abundant energy produced without fossil fuel or nuclear waste. It is now up to us to fearlessly make that vision a reality," is the sentiment of his colleagues who remain.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2004/05/15/EugeneMalloveDies/index.html

Cracrocrates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Eugene Mallove & Cold Fusion Reply with quote

I think I encountered the name reading about cold fusion in Excess Heat by Charles Beaudette. Decent book.

I've been to the Infinte Energy magazine website a few times over the past few years; maybe it didn't always, but it seems to have a bit of tinfoil attached to it; in its defense, how could that time of magazine NOT attract a few fakes considering what's at stake. Last I remember, they were trying to support/promote/attract inventors who could hopefully design a tabletop demonstration device to show publicly that cold fusion works; to my knowledge, this type of device never came about. (One of the problems might be consistency & impurities - perhaps necessary - in the palladium used. )

...To date, I think the IE website's best feature is a long 1996 interview with Professor Martin Fleishmann http://www.infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue11/fleishmann.html . Fleishmann, either in this interview or on a more recent mp3 floating on the internet, says that US science & education took a massive wrong turn since about the 1970s, focusing on theory instead of experiment.

Wikipedia's bio on Mallove says:

Quote:
Eugene Mallove held a B.S. and M.S. in aeronautics and astronomy from the MIT and a Ph.D in environmental health sciences from Harvard University. He had worked for technology engineering firms such as Hughes Research Laboratories, the Analytic Science Corporation, and MIT's Lincoln Laboratory, and he consulted in research and development of new energies.

Mallove taught science journalism at MIT and Boston University and was chief science writer at MIT's news office, a position he left as part of a dispute with the school over cold fusion.

Church of Crac motto:
"The End is Nigh. Give me a Dollar."

--Cracrocrates
freedomfiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody know who these whiz kids were ?

I tried some web searching, and only came up with Tron, a 26-year-old Berlin hacker who invented an encrypted telephone - the Cryptophon - who was found hanging from a tree in Oct. 1998; police called it suicide,but the family had doubts.

I don't think he was referring to hackers or the computer underground, but to people with startup companies which boomed in the late nineties.

In the computer underground the most famous case was a German hacker, Karl Koch, who got murdered (or at least died under suspicious circumstances) after he was hired by the KGB to hack into US computers.

The story is told in Clifford Stoll's "the Cuckoo's Egg: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier" and in "Cyberpunk", which was published by Katie Hafner and John Markoff if I remember it correctly.

Don't know whether you understand German -

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Koch
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/KGB-Hack

Another hacker who was found dead :

Quote:
Hacker's Death: Murder or Suicide?
November 27, 1998
http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-archive/1998/Dec/0026.html

BERLIN (AP) -- He was a gifted computer whiz -- one of the best, one who'd
made the jump from illegal tinkering to the legitimate, potentially
lucrative business of making codes crack-proof from hackers like himself.

But when Boris Floriciz was found hanging from a tree in a Berlin park on
Oct. 22, his belt around his neck and his feet dragging the ground, it
drew attention even outside the tight-knit world of hackers.

His friends wonder whether he was caught up in the murkier side of the
trade -- one of spies, espionage and black-market criminals. Was it
suicide, as police suspect? Or homicide?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: