FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Welcome / Forum Tips / Posting Video
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Fintan
Site Admin


Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 7679

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 7:01 pm    Post subject: Welcome / Forum Tips / Posting Video Reply with quote

You are very Welcome to the BreakForNews Forum Very Happy

Any comments, suggestions reply to this message.
Pull up a keyboard and let fly.

Because here..... the expression is still free Exclamation

To join, just register here:
http://breakfornews.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register


AVATARS:

Pages of stuff about avatars on Google HERE:
Or at Google image search HERE:

Right-click on any web image and view it's properties. Must be under
130 pixels wide by 170 pixels high and less than 25k in size...
Just copy the url of the image and modify your 'Profile'.
You can enter the url and the forum will upload the avatar.


FORUM STYLE

You can chose which forum style you prefer in your Profile:

'SubSilver' is the default PhpBB style.
'Xand ' is the current 'orange' forum style.

If you want the default SubSilver style go to your Profile:
http://breakfornews.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

Then select the style as shown below:

Quote:


POSTING LINKS

The forum softwre will autolatically display link URL's as hyperlinks.

But watch out for really long URLs which won't wrap and thus
cause the whole topic thread to format very wide.

Better to URL-format such long links with tags.
Type some text which will be the hyperlink.
Highlight the text and enclose it in URL BBcode tags.

1. No other [] formatting tages can be between 'url=' and '/url'
-- bold, underline, color etc. must be outside url tags, only text inside.

2. The opening (url) tag must be immediately followed by the link title,
no carriage returns or everything breaks!


POSTING YOUTUBE VIDEO

Quote:


I hacked our forum posting BB code system to allow
you to easily embed YouTube videos in your posts.


It works off the 11 Digit YouTube Video ID code
    1. Copy the 11 Digit Code
    2. Highlight it with your mouse
    3. Click the Youtube Icon

Try It: Forum Members Music Picks

By default the width and height of the video are set to 800 x 450
But you can amend that auto code to say 640 x 360 if you prefer.

DEMO: How to use the Embed feature:

Quote:
<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/7psZwfas6KY?hl=en_GB&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="800" height="450" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>



Here's an example from DailyMotion. See how it's the
same principle of opening and closing embed statements:

Quote:
DailyMotion - Delete the hightlighted bits first:




Here's an example from LiveLeak.
They don't have any extra bits to delete.
Just opening and closing embed statements:

Quote:
LiveLeak - You can post their code unmodified:





LATEST POSTS FORUM TRACKER

When you are browsing the forum, look in the top left corner of the
Forum listing page and you can click the Tracker link at any time.

Quote:

TRY IT: http://www.breakfornews.com/forumtracker.htm


This saves clicking around the forum to see Whazzup? in various sub-forums.

Quote:

http://www.breakfornews.com/forumtracker.htm


A similar tracker is built into the Homepage

And you can access the Tracker code generation page yourself
to build BFN Forum live feeds in javascript or RSS for your own website.
Fill in options, click submit and get a code snippet to paste into a webpage.

http://www.breakfornews.com/forum/topics_anywhere.php

Quote:


PERSONAL ATTACKS POLICY

Intellgent debate has to have some ground rules.
In the heat of the moment things get said that are personal attacks
rather than attacks on the merit or otherwise of the arguments.
No biggie. You can't police that without severely limiting expression.

But. This forum has had a policy that posts about a forum member,
where the objective is mainly to attack that member, is not allowed.

That policy is strongly enforced, because otherwise the forum would
be turned into the kind of shit-fest most net forums have become.
If you want to post like that, the internet has thousands of shitty forums.
Go there.

If you are the target of persistent personal attacks which are not
addressing your arguments, then let me know by PM and the attack
posts will be deleted. If the poster persists, the poster will be deleted.

But don't get your knickers in a twist if someone calls you a nasty name
in the course of debating with you, this rule is mainly intended to stop
postings where the only objective is to attack a forum member.

Thanks.


Last edited by Fintan on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:05 pm; edited 17 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Janama



Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 410
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fintan and Kathy - thankyou for your recordings - I love the Irish lilt Smile

I'm still struggling with the mirror concept, but thank you anyway Smile

janama
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
funzone36
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any rules for this forum?
Back to top
kathy
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 722
Location: Surfing The Waves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi funzone36

Quote:
Any rules for this forum?


Do you want a list? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jerry Fletcher



Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 837
Location: Studio BS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Rule #1: Don't upset or disagree with Jerry Fletcher

Other than that, I think anything goes, right? Wink

Nice work on the new site design. I was impressed with the new look as it filled my screen - I laughed out loud when the flashing 'reloaded' popped up.

Looking forward to an action packed 'sequel'.

And as always, you guys are both 'very thank-you'. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kathy
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Jan 2006
Posts: 722
Location: Surfing The Waves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is free to express their thought's, idea's and opinions.

this is a place where the expression is still free even if it means disagreeing with Jerry Fletcher Very Happy

Rule "0" No personal attacks - in other words it's not on to attack the person but difference of opinion on points in posts is allowed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cartoonsuperstar



Joined: 11 Feb 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Thanks For the Invitation Reply with quote

I like this forum and will enjoy visiting when I get spare time.

I hope to develop some kind of bond of friendship with certain people here......fun stuff being able to speak your mind......Good night and Jesus bless you.

_________________
Michael Sunstar, Author Of Sunstar's Prophecy
http://www.lulu.com/sunstar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cepelin



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't think of that.
_______________
Webmasters, click here for more traffic!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paulo_Freire



Joined: 07 Mar 2006
Posts: 204

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Post #1 for Me Reply with quote

Hello Fintan, Kathy and the rest of ye,

Thanks for letting this American into the forum.

I think those who don't agree with Fintan should stick to discussing the websites or certain theories instead of repeating that Fintan hasn't proven anything. He's come up with a lot of stuff. Critics of his writings should be more specific in their comments. E.G., He just wrote that people who want to open up eyes about 9/11 should discuss Amanda Keller. Critics could engage Fintan on that aspect. You have to give the kid specifics if you ever want him to understand your point. I think his theories are quite plausible. I'm sure I don't agree with everything he writes, but when I don't, I'll use specifics to see how he feels about my viewpoint.

It's all about dialogue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jerry Fletcher



Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 837
Location: Studio BS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Hi Paulo -

Continuing my tradition of uber-buttinski, I'll consider myself one of the "ye" and say, "Welcome!"

Paulo_Freire wrote:
I think those who don't agree with Fintan should stick to discussing the websites or certain theories instead of repeating that Fintan hasn't proven anything.


Amen, dude. Perhaps you want to wade into the Rat's Nest and repeat your point - couldn't hurt.

Might want to change your clothes first - there's a lot of rodent excrement flying around in there. Wink

Cheers!
Jerry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ormond



Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 1556
Location: Belly of the Beast, Texas

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Greetings, thinkers! Reply with quote

I've been a member here for about a month, and since I keep coming back there must be something valid going on in these discussions. I think that the intent for this to be an intelligent alternative to the chaos encountered on many blogs on these issues has been succeeding, more or less.

This is not a blog for people sitting up late in their underwear drunk, and taking advantage of internet anonymity to fuck with the minds of people who can't come through the computer to get them. Haven't seen many of those here, but they don't last. As for disinfo agents on somebody's payroll to disrupt serious discussions, there's always at least one infiltrator on any blog that's discussing politics. If any are here, they're pretty slick, because no one sticks out that way-- most likely watchers are content to just gather statistics, as the blog attracts a more intelligent set and isn't prone to be baited into rants and hate rhetoric.

Jennifer Johnson, on her Individual Rights blog posted the following useful suggestion on her own site that like minded bloggers may counter all of the above by forming 'alliances' between participants, to discourage intrusions from the types that crop up on blogs to run people off, or just be a nusiance. I asked if I could post it on other blogs, so here it is:

Quote:
In the arena of ideas, the only tactic left to take the topic off subject, is to be a flame baiter. In my past, on other forums, I have seen what I call the dog pack mentality, where I will start a thread, then each poster will come and slander me without addressing the topic. They support each other's slander, which gets the message of topic and nullifies one's objective.

We need to build alliances that helps each other keep the thread on topic, so each can ignore the flame baiter, and by keeping the thread on subject, then they are seen as such. I have learned that in a discussion, the only need to address another person, is to either agree or disagree, then state the reason.

Here is the beginnings of my brainstorming.

Terms of alliance.

1) Mission statement: to find the truth.
2) Only address another person, to either agree or disagree, then state the reason.
3) Pick topics that need to be exposed :
4) Search out other forums and post a thread that facilitates a discussion related to one of the topics.
5) Where the alliance become beneficial. The general scenario when starting a thread for a discussion, a group of individuals will never address the topic, but use ad hominems to try and make the author look stupid and never address the topic. Because there is no one there to raise legitimate issues, the author is only left to address the ad hominems. If the members of the alliance had predetermined questions or affirmative to the topic, and addresses them to the author, then the author would be perceived busy addressing the legitimate requests.

Always stay above the fray.

a) this will diffuse ad hominems
b) will make the people that uses these tactic look stupid because they are shut out of the discussion.
c) will provide evidence to the moderators as to who are the trouble makers.

6) Use this forum to have the topics scripted and well thought out as to when to introduce new questions or affirmatives to keep the direction of the topic on the right path.
7) The main objective is to have the truth said. Truth does not need to be defended.
8 ) There is no membership only alliance by one's actions.


This seems like a good approach, as it's mutual and not heirarchical, though Fintan should indeed reserve the right to expell outright psychopaths that should drift in. Luckily, I haven't seen any yet.

Personally, I would like to see this blog grow and become very active. So if you're considering signing on and getting involved in the discussions, please do!

Also, this seems a good place to give people a better look at my Avatar.
I use the image of 19th century American plains indians as a metaphor for what I think is our current status to the 'ruling class' who are now drunk on Globaism. Also a wry comment on "Homeland Security" .
[img]http://scd.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1391811070[/img]

_________________
The anticipated never happens. The unexpected constantly occurs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ormond



Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 1556
Location: Belly of the Beast, Texas

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Greetings, thinkers! Reply with quote

Ormond wrote:
I've been a member here for about a month, and since I keep coming back there must be something valid going on in these discussions. I think that the intent for this to be an intelligent alternative to the chaos encountered on many blogs on these issues has been succeeding, more or less.

Also, this seems a good place to give people a better look at my Avatar.
I use the image of 19th century American plains indians as a metaphor for what I think is our current status to the 'ruling class' who are now drunk on Globaism. Also a wry comment on "Homeland Security" .


This is not a blog for people sitting up late in their underwear drunk, and taking advantage of internet anonymity to fuck with the minds of people who can't come through the computer to get them. Haven't seen many of those here, but they don't last. As for disinfo agents on somebody's payroll to disrupt serious discussions, there's always at least one infiltrator on any blog that's discussing politics. If any are here, they're pretty slick, because no one sticks out that way-- most likely watchers are content to just gather statistics, as the blog attracts a more intelligent set and isn't prone to be baited into rants and hate rhetoric.

Jennifer Johnson, on her Individual Rights blog posted the following useful suggestion on her own site that like minded bloggers may counter all of the above by forming 'alliances' between participants, to discourage intrusions from the types that crop up on blogs to run people off, or just be a nusiance. I asked if I could post it on other blogs, so here it is:

Quote:
In the arena of ideas, the only tactic left to take the topic off subject, is to be a flame baiter. In my past, on other forums, I have seen what I call the dog pack mentality, where I will start a thread, then each poster will come and slander me without addressing the topic. They support each other's slander, which gets the message of topic and nullifies one's objective.

We need to build alliances that helps each other keep the thread on topic, so each can ignore the flame baiter, and by keeping the thread on subject, then they are seen as such. I have learned that in a discussion, the only need to address another person, is to either agree or disagree, then state the reason.

Here is the beginnings of my brainstorming.

Terms of alliance.

1) Mission statement: to find the truth.
2) Only address another person, to either agree or disagree, then state the reason.
3) Pick topics that need to be exposed :
4) Search out other forums and post a thread that facilitates a discussion related to one of the topics.
5) Where the alliance become beneficial. The general scenario when starting a thread for a discussion, a group of individuals will never address the topic, but use ad hominems to try and make the author look stupid and never address the topic. Because there is no one there to raise legitimate issues, the author is only left to address the ad hominems. If the members of the alliance had predetermined questions or affirmative to the topic, and addresses them to the author, then the author would be perceived busy addressing the legitimate requests.

Always stay above the fray.

a) this will diffuse ad hominems
b) will make the people that uses these tactic look stupid because they are shut out of the discussion.
c) will provide evidence to the moderators as to who are the trouble makers.

6) Use this forum to have the topics scripted and well thought out as to when to introduce new questions or affirmatives to keep the direction of the topic on the right path.
7) The main objective is to have the truth said. Truth does not need to be defended.
8 ) There is no membership only alliance by one's actions.


This seems like a good approach, as it's mutual and not heirarchical, though Fintan should indeed reserve the right to expell outright psychopaths that should drift in. Luckily, I haven't seen any yet.

Personally, I would like to see this blog grow and become very active. So if you're considering signing on and getting involved in the discussions, please do!

_________________
The anticipated never happens. The unexpected constantly occurs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Theme xand created by spleen.