FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Top Ten Worst Foods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
leon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleakley.K wrote:
I think having food as a subject is quite a tricky one. In third world countries, they couldn't care less about which food is or isn't healthy - as long as they get to eat something.

I could assure you from personall expirience that you are quite wrong about third world countries. At least the one I live in is quite picky on quality of food they put in their mouth. And usually, it is much healthier than you find in US or Europe.

I have pretty much stopped buying from the big supermarket that serves gringo's foods, except for English tea, Danish butter and bread from the local bakery.
Big Boss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo....what the hell do we/can we eat thats affordable considering we're sheep/peasants lol?
leon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good ground rule would be: don't put in your mouth anything that did not exist 200 years ago.
Big Boss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol!, good one leon. Another one I heard from Michael Pollan (something to the effect of) "If you can't pronounce it, don't put it in your mouth" lol. He actually answers my very question here (found this recently actually):
Quote:
Michael Pollan Answers Readers’ Questions
By Michael Pollan
The New York Times Magazine, October 6, 2011

These questions for Mr. Pollan were submitted by New York Times readers. The first 10 questions below were the most popular among those we received. They were answered by Mr. Pollan on Oct. 6, 2011, after the Food Issue was originally published.

Our family is on a budget and can’t afford to eat all organic. Where should we direct our money to get the most benefit? Organic produce? Meats? Dairy?

This was the most popular question by far, and it’s a good one: some organic products offer the consumer more value than others, so if you’re on a budget, it’s important to buy organic strategically. Here are a few quick rules of thumb:

If you have young kids, it’s worth paying the organic premium on whatever they eat or drink the most of organically. So if they drink lots of apple juice — which they shouldn’t, by the way — or milk, then spring for it there.

On produce, some items, when grown conventionally, have more pesticide residue than others, so when buying these, it pays to buy organic. According to the Environmental Working Group, the “dirty dozen” most pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables are: apples, celery, strawberries, peaches, spinach, imported nectarines, imported grapes, sweet bell peppers, potatoes, blueberries, lettuce and kale/collars. The “clean 15″ are onions, sweet corn, pineapples, avocado, asparagus, sweet peas, mangoes, eggplant, cantaloupe, kiwi, cabbage, watermelon, sweet potatoes, grapefruit and mushrooms. So if you’ve only got a little money to devote to organic, buy the organic apples and skip the organic onions. But do keep in mind that it’s important to eat fruits and vegetables regardless of how they’re grown.

In meat, organic is very expensive, and doesn’t necessary ensure that the animals didn’t live on feedlot. I look for grass fed for beef instead, milk and butter, too.

I'm not too keen on Pollan (his background, etc) so anything I should be aware of concerning facts feel free to post away (which we should do anyways I'd suspect) But I thought this was a decent response.
noplacebo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding obesity, most veg grown on factory farms are pumped up with fertilisers, chemicals which drug the plant into bulking up, regardless of the nutritional value, livestock are also fed hormones to bulk them up to market size regardless of quality, all this makes the food cheap, but our bodies after eating such food are still lacking nutritional minerals, which our bodies need, thereby giving us a craving for more food to satisfy this deficiency, (much like a pregnant womans more knowing craving of a deficiency), so we end up taking on board a greater percentage of proteins and fats in relation to minerals and vitamins than would naturally be the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Health All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: