FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Note to kathy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Janama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Note to kathy Reply with quote

your link to the forum titles on your main page opens in the same frame - not in a new window.

cheers
John
Fintan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Fixed it thanks Reply with quote

Thanks John,

Thanks for the tipoff - fixed it and the links to forum articles
from BreakForNews homepage now open in a new window.

We didn't notice because I use Opera and Kathy uses Firefox -both of which can be set to automatically open links in a new tab.

Opera is neat by the way. Highly reccommended. http://Opera.com
Janama

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - it's pretty obvious you are Mac users Wink - unfortunately the majority of us use IE. There have been quite a few incorrect links on the main page - I found the Treeincarnation site by clicking on a link that was meant to go somewhere else entirely and was another false link.
hawkwind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: MAC? Reply with quote

Huh??? Nevermind, this is not a computer propeller head forum .... gonna go shove one of these new DVD things in the BetaMax ...
Wink

Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed it thanks Reply with quote

Fintan wrote:

Opera is neat by the way. Highly reccommended. http://Opera.com

Cool! Opera is neat - and free! Hmm. What's the catch?

Also, since this is the prop-head geek tech thread, I was wondering why you guys don't 'podcast' the BFN audios, or make them available through the iTunes architecture?

I agree that not visiting the site for downloads diminishes the overall BFN experience, but it might attract the random Ricky Gervase fan poking around in iTunes looking for something interesting and free to listen to.

In terms of production quality, content, and focus, BFN is head and shoulders above most of the drivel offered.

Perhaps there's reason enough right there - not to be marginalized as just another link in the enormous heap of tripe.

Or is it something more big brother-y? Just curious.

And speaking of platforms, I think they'll be a thing of the past by 07. From now on, all Macs will have Intel chips - to me that's the tech equivalent of the Berlin wall coming down - the end of the tech cold war. It's a partnership you see, not a monopoly hell bent on controlling the flow of digital information.

My feeling is the intel boys have been working with the Intel boys for quite a while. (Mac too, but it would have spoiled my soundbite)

The corporate history of the whole mac. vs. pc thing is pretty fascinating - and extremely telling, IMO.
Janama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
since this is the prop-head geek tech thread

Ok - this google thing -I operate a phpbb forum just like this one and on the main page it shows who is on the site - there may be 5 members and 12 guests.

As admin I can see who these guests are as their IP address is shown. I've found that if you trace the IP address you will find that most of the guests are in fact google IP addresses, or Google Bots as they called.

Google works so well because it tracks where you go. Say you put in a search term it will show you a series of pages and it follows you - if you look at the site, reject it and move onto the next link Google notes it, if on the other hand you stay at that site and click on more pages Google notes that also and this site will move up in the list Google offers. It's very clever which is why Google is the best search engine but, as Fintan has pointed out, it has severe privacy issues.
kathy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Well been busy here with neem and stuff so did not see the message till now but I see Fintan replied :-)

Nope we are not mac users Shocked

Yeah Podcasting sounds good, been looking into it but just need more hours in a day to get everything done here. Hopefully in the coming days we will get to sort out the podcasting stuff - stay tuned Razz

Kathy
kathy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a problemo if anyone can help I would appreciate it. When it comes to Podcasting what is a RSS URL? How does one find this RSS URL? Confused
hawkwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: This Should Get You Going ... Reply with quote

http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Podcasting_Software.html

Me Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: