FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
book review / movie review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Creative Xpress
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
Alfresco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumpl4skn wrote:
Angles and Demons

Wow, that's some aggressive marketing. Kind of like DaVinci Code meets American Idol.

Did Hanks' character say "Illuminati"? I'm anxious to see the finished product. I am expecting a similar treatment of the subject that corruption in the diamond trade got in "Blood Diamond." Validate the subject briefly, expose a few half-truths, yet render it into either the realm of "it's just a movie" or "it's real, but all this stuff have been fixed now."

I have this book but havn't got round to reading it yet.

I watched film 2009 last night and there was a preview of the film. Seems
like its all about the illuminati.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In popular culture

The Illuminati are central to the plots of many works of fiction. Prominent examples include: The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson, Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, The Fallen Angels by Susannah Kells & Bernard Cornwell, and The Illuminati by Larry Burkett.

The Illuminati have also appeared prominently in various films and on TV. For example, they are central to the plot of the movie Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, and the Disney animated television show Gargoyles.

In addition, the Illuminati also feature in the plots of numerous video games and several comic book series,[10] as well as in both trading card and roleplaying games.[11]

J Ruthless

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOLVER
I thought this movie was very interesting, and genuinely entertaining....especially for those of us who study/analyse psychological/information warfare. There prob a few different ways you could take this movie. Prob one of Guy Richie's best work. Although i had to check into the production company as the name bothered me. Check out the list of movies they produced. They responsible for a majority of the European movies with futuristic or heavily psych driven plots. Neutral

I wont say much about it....dont want to ruin it for anyone...but it doesn't try hard to hide the inner meanings from the audience, and starts off with a few Machiavellian quotes.

If you want to see it i highly recommend going to www.oneclickmoviez.com
heres the link... Revolver
you can stream or dl, but also worth the purchase

bri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few flicks that have sparked my interest recently...

No Quarto Da Vanda

I really want to see this one although it's supposed to be a test of patience. I've found Pedro Costa's other films and videos to be quite moving. It's about a bunch of drug addicts living in a now demolished, small costal village in Portugal. I've heard that it is the film that the American (so called "indie-film" with big name actors and a budget in the millions) "Requiem for a Dream" should have been. The download I found does not have english subtitles so I couldn't make it through, but it certainly makes me want to buy the DVD. It seems to capture what being an addict is really like. Yes that is real heroin. The filmmaker lived with the addicts, befriended them, and shot footage over many years. Some scenes were reproduced, leading to many disqualifications for "best documentary" award. As if "Bowling for Columbine" doesn't blur any lines...
Call it exploitative but the result seems human enough to me.
Hopefully the addicts got some help or at least $$$, haven't looked into the details but I would assume so.
Drugs have been decrim'd in Portugal since this film came out, wonder how that's going...

War Requiem

I can't describe this one in words. The trailer does it no justice. Made by Derek Jarman ,it is a beautiful and horrible tribute to war. BFN members will understand his worldview. There are some terrible images in this film (I had never even known existed due to perhaps censorship?) from various conflicts in the Balkans, Afghan-Russian War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Congo Wars, and others. He is not easy on politicos.

Gomorra
Another one that has to be seen to be believed. I don't want to spoil it too much. It has to do with the Cammora crime org. The connections throughout politiks are very obvious to Italians but it's an eye-opener for anyone outside of that country. It is a slow-moving films that suddenly explodes in violence you know is coming but somehow still surprises you. It suggests things also, rather than being overly graphic.

Last edited by bri on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
hawkwind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bri wrote:
A few flicks that have sparked my interest recently...

I've heard that it is the film that the American (so called "indie-film" with big name actors and a budget in the millions) "Requiem for a Dream" should have been.

Agreed but don't shun Requiem ... it is a killer flick and the ending will get soldered into your brain forever ... must see movie ... Wink

- Hawk

bri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Hawk. Certainly horrific. It's the ultimate Just Say No message.
I'm just a super snob about movies and I shouldn't care so much. I don't put myself into some kind of self proclaimed upper realm but also try to express my opinion on this, as if anyone cares. Cool

In Dream's case, I found the so called addicts to be way too clean in terms of their apperance. The locations weren't messy enough, the lighting too good. I'm not sure I can put this into words right now.

All in all, seeing some rockstar do a fake ass Brooklyn accent that sounds like a retarded Bonstonite mixed with Bugs Bunny act all "hopped up" on heroin that somehow does not cause it's victims to nod out and have unexciting lives was just too much for me.

Too over the top, not my cup of tea.
I've ranted too much. Embarassed
I've seen worse. The hip-hop editing was cool.

Last edited by bri on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
bri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record. Laughing

atm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Hitler's War Reply with quote

http://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fpp.co.uk%2Fbooks%2FHitler%2F&ei=SNc1TOixJZCGrQf_g7jkAw&usg=AFQjCNHtIIGay8QZr8SrKdbsL3OV7GHLDw
Tony Ryals

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Amerikkka or My country Tis Reply with quote

Amerikkka or My country Tis

My country tis to me
Sweet land of tyranny,
From Thee I flee,
Land where our fathers died
Commiting biocide
On every mountainside
From thee I flee
It's written on the walls
Of Berkeley High and CIA Headquarters
The truth shall make you free
But if this is true why do they murder and lie to me ?
I suggest they change they're tune
Stop howling at the moon
And sending death threats to me
I suggest and it's not in jest
That their so-called truths at best
Shall only make you want to flee
bri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen the recent fairly popular flicks "Youth in Revolt" and "Mystery Team"? Both were non-stop laughs imho.

Here's one I've enjoyed recently as well, some of the scenes are so uncomfortable they make we want to cringe. It's a movie about living a lie...is the main character a sociopath or simply misguided? Too weird of a film for 1991...too low budget and old for 2010.
It stars Crispin Glover -who I usually don't like much- nails it here.

Part 1 of 9

Sasha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: book review / movie review Reply with quote

I just watched The Last of the Mohicans. Excellent fight scenes, cinematography and performances by Day Lewis/others {Directed by Michael Mann. With Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Russell Means}.

The Last of the Mohicans is a historical novel by James Fenimore Cooper, first published in January 1826.

True Romance or Where Eagles Dare are good entertainment.

bri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie but a goodie....

Slow but rewarding...

http://vimeo.com/13254162

http://vimeo.com/13257188

Quote:
... 12 section film that invites viewers into a more visceral and less verbally analytical state of mind. The "action," small events like the mail arriving, the storm coming, and the grass getting mowed, are secondary to the way of perceiving those events. In many ways this film reaches back into a kind of personal memory one might recall from early childhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Creative Xpress All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: