FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
The Mind/Body problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Understanding Our Reality
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
abcanarchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: The Mind/Body problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have been studying philosophy in school for a year. I have a firm understanding of certain factions of the discipline, but I have never been able to fully grasp the Mind/Body problem or Dualism.
Can somebody help me understand it a bit better.

Also, why is the mind/body problem often associated with quantum mechanics and why is quantum mechanics often associated with junk sciences/theories similar to "the law of attraction"?

If quantum mechanics is physics, how does it fit with anti-scientifc new age thoughts?
duane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ab, welcome to the jungle

"Also, why is the mind/body problem often associated with quantum mechanics and why is quantum mechanics often associated with junk sciences/theories similar to "the law of attraction"?

"
If quantum mechanics is physics, how does it fit with anti-scientifc new age thoughts"

answer: quantum mechanics is "junk science"

note; if you are in school, ask the school to sign a paper saying you can get a refund on tuition paid for curriculum which turns out to be false.

see here
http://www.alternet.org/story/145394/the_big_theories_underwriting_society_are_crashing_all_around_us_--_are_you_ready_for_a_new_world

The Big Theories Underwriting Society Are Crashing All Around Us -- Are You Ready for a New World?

noplacebo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi abc, if i understand you correctly by what you mean by the mind body problem, i have found it like this,the mind and body are said to be split in our mindset which first occured with gallileo who banned quality from science, he said that only the position shape and motions of things are real and that smells colours and tastes exist only in the observers consciuosness. in his own words "to excite in us tastes, odours, and sounds i believe that nothing is required in external bodies except shapes,numbers, and slow or rapid movements. i think that if ears, tongues, and noses were removed, shapes and numbers and motions would remain, but not odours or tastes or sounds. the latter, i believe, are nothing more than names when separated from living beings..." he said quantities were primary phenomena and qualities secondary phenomena, descartes took this and formalised it, nowadays this schism is taken for granted and has also a lot to answer for, in the words of psychiatrist r.d.laing "galileos program offers us a dead world: out go sight, sound, smell,touch and taste, and along with them have since gone esthetic and ethical sensibility ,values quality, soul, consciousness, spirit. experience as such is cast out of the realm of scientific discourse. hardly anything has changed our world more during the last four hundred years than galileos audacious program. WE HAD TO DESTROY THE WORLD IN THEORY BEFORE WE COULD DESTROY IT IN PRACTISE. then into the fray steps quantum physics, where before we had forsaken our inclusive view of the world in favour of in the years that followed a tecnologically ripe harvest of inventions never before witnessed on earth, now only at the expense of intelligibility when looked at through quantum spectacles, the primary qualities of galileo go up in smoke for in quantum theory the hard stuff of things is made up of 99.999% space and the remainder is vibrating energy, a probabilty wave ,these formulations do not explain reality they predict phenomena as bertrand russell said "physics is mathematical not because we know so much about the physical world, but because we know so little: it is only its mathematical properties that we can discover." and with this bequest man enters his spiritual ice age, anyway i hope this helped you a wee bit
bri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC, according to your first post
you are now in the 10th grade.

Strange...
If that's true you
are on the right track.
Get that brain
working early!

Yet...
You joined this forum in the 8th grade.
I don't buy that.
What a strange and wonderful, conversation starting bot you are.
abcanarchy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bri:

I'm not a bot. I mean, at least I don't think I am. I'm actually finishing up 11th grade. My school counts 9th grade as middle school.

noplacebo:

Thank you very much. You have opened up a sea of new thoughts for me. I did not knowa dualism came about through the ideas of Galileo. I guess Descartes is as far back as I was looking. I really appreciate it!
bri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abcanarchy wrote:
Bri:

I'm not a bot. I mean, at least I don't think I am. I'm actually finishing up 11th grade. My school counts 9th grade as middle school.

Nice.
Good to have you around,
you're on the right track. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> Understanding Our Reality All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: