FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
UNCONVENTIONAL ACTION: Disrupt USA national conventions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
THX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: UNCONVENTIONAL ACTION: Disrupt USA national conventions Reply with quote

Haven't examined this in detail but seems interesting at first sight...

Quote:
What Is Unconventional Action?

Unconventional Action is an emerging network aiming to complement the work of local organizers in Denver and the Twin Cities with regional organizing throughout the rest of the country. Our goal is to build a horizontal, inclusive framework for protests that will disrupt the upcoming Democratic and Republican National Conventions. We are currently organizing meetings, propaganda, and consultas in our communities and encourage those in other regions to do the same.

We aim to organize militant direct action that manifests opposition to both the Democratic and Republican Parties. As anti-authoritarians, we oppose so-called representational politics, but even those who still believe in it must understand that we can only have leverage over our rulers by showing our own power, that we must back our demands by demonstrating that we can interfere with their business as effectively as they interfere with our lives.

http://www.unconventionalaction.org/index.html
THX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Starhawk's website:

Quote:
Empowered direct action means embracing our radical imagination and claiming the space we need to enact our visions: it's magic defined as 'the art of changing consciousness at will.' It challenges the structure of power itself and resists all forms of domination and all systems of control. It undermines the legitimacy of the institutions of control by embodying freedom, direct democracy, solidarity, and respect for diversity in our organizations and our actions. And it starts with clarity of intention before we get around to diversity of tactics. That is, before we decide what tactics to adopt we need to know what we're trying to do.

What we're trying to do:

* Make people believe that a better world is possible, that they can do something to bring it about, and that we're the fun sort of folks they want to do it with. Build the movement.

* Undermine the legitimacy of the institutions of global corporate capitalism. Expose their hypocrisies and lies. Make visible the violence inherent in their structures and policies. Interfere with their ability to function. Link the global issues to local issues and strengthen and support local organizing. . Pose alternatives that are creative, attractive and sane. Heighten the contrast between our vision and theirs.

* Claim space outside the logo-ized, corporatized, media-colonized realm--whether that's Reclaim the Streets taking back public space, Witches creating ritual space in the midst of a battle, the Zapatistas establishing enclaves in Chiapas, forest defenders staking a claim to an old growth forest, Ya Basta! pushing through police lines without attacking, the MST in Brazil resettling families on unused land, protestors pushing down the wall in Quebec City, adbusters, billboard alterations, banner drops, or the thousands of other creative ways we find to do it.

* Encourage defections from the ranks, both from within the corporate institutions and the ranks of those who are drafted to do their dirty work, like the police and the military who are acting against their own class interests when they repress us.

* Create the alternative society. Live the revolution. Build the support networks we need as a movement, and in local communities, both to wage this struggle and to begin exploring just and sustainable ways to feed, house, cloth, shelter, care for and employ ourselves.

http://www.starhawk.org/activism/activism-writings/quebeclessons.html
Rick Dagless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

From the site:

"How Do I Join Unconventional Action?"

"Short version: Start your own group and call yourselves Unconventional Action!"

"Longer version: We invite others who share our goals to organize under the name Unconventional Action. Unconventional Action is an umbrella name available to all who agree with our points of unity [see below]. It is also the actual network comprised of all Unconventional Action groups. We hope to foster a network that will exist long after the conventions of 2008."

Sounds a little bit like:

"Start your own group and call yourselves Al Qaida" When Al Qaida became a franchise operation.

This is cute, also from the site:

"Do not condemn any action on the grounds that it is illegal alone"

Sounds like a great way to justify things that will actually discredit the anti-war movement and the anti-NWO movement.

Have you seen this one?:

http://www.recreate68.org/

"Recreate 68". Check out the weird Black Panther fist. It's a white fist! That's a little creepy. Black fist equals Black Power, white fist equals.....?

If there's one thing I never want to recreate it's "68".

Mike Malloy spotted the "Recreate 68" site and said he was certain that it's a COINTELPRO operation. I agree with him.

I suspect the one you spotted probably is too.

I hope everyone who is justifiably angry about US foreign and domestic policy stays far, far away from both groups.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do some checking and see what kind of background I can find on "Unconventional Action".
PatrickSMcNally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the thought of CoIntelPro, there's this item:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/15980105/detail.html

Rush Limbaugh 'Dreaming' Of Riots In Denver
Talk Show Host Wants America To See Actions Of 'Far Left'

DENVER -- Talk show host Rush Limbaugh is sparking controversy again after he made comments that appear to call for riots in Denver during the Democratic National Convention this summer.

He said the riots would ensure a Democrat is not elected as president, and his listeners have a responsibility to make sure it happens.

"Riots in Denver, the Democrat Convention would see to it that we don't elect Democrats," Limbaugh said during Wednesday's radio broadcast. He then went on to say that's the best thing that could happen to the country.

Limbaugh cited Al Sharpton, saying the Barack Obama supporter threatened to superdelegates that "there's going to be trouble" if the presidency is taken from Obama.

Several callers called in to the radio show to denounce Limbaugh's comments, when he later stated, "I am not inspiring or inciting riots, I am dreaming of riots in Denver."

Limbaugh said with massive riots in Denver, which he called part of "Operation Chaos," the people on the far left would look bad.

"There won't be riots at our convention," Limbaugh said of the Republican National Convention. "We don't riot. We don't burn our cars. We don't burn down our houses. We don't kill our children. We don't do half the things the American left does."

He believes electing Democrats will hurt America's security and economy and appeared to call on his listeners to make sure that doesn't happen.

"We do, hopefully, the right thing for the sake of this country. We're the only one in charge of our affairs. We don't farm out our defense if we elect Democrats ... and riots in Denver, at the Democratic Convention will see to it we don't elect Democrats. And that's the best damn thing that can happen to this country, as far as I can think," Limbaugh said.

Later, Limbaugh downplayed his "dreaming of riots in Denver" statement, and said that he wasn't calling for riots and was referring to warnings of trouble if superdelegates decide the nomination at the Democratic National Convention.

Limbaugh's comments prompted Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper to say, "Anyone who would call for riots in an American city has clearly lost their bearings."

Democratic Sen. Ken Salazar also responded to Limbaugh's comments Friday, asking Lee Larsen, senior vice president of Clear Channel Radio Rocky Mountain Region to reprimand Limbaugh.

"As I read Mr. Limbaugh's comments about riots at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, they appear to me to be a clear exhortation that those riots are exactly what he wants to happen," Salazar said in a letter to Larsen.

Denver will host the DNC on Aug. 25 to Aug. 28.
Rick Dagless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickSMcNally wrote:
Regarding the thought of CoIntelPro, there's this item:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/15980105/detail.html

Rush Limbaugh 'Dreaming' Of Riots In Denver
Talk Show Host Wants America To See Actions Of 'Far Left'

Yeah! How bout that. Rush makes the call for riots in Denver and then...surprise, surprise...websites trying to organize riots start popping up on the web.

Very sketchy websites at that.

"Unconventional Action". That sounds more than a little sinister to me. Sounds a little like "Covert Action" or "Special Action" or "Unconventional Warfare". The boys at CIA, dirty tricks headquarters do like inside jokes.

Check out the front page of "Unconventional Action" and look at their mascot. Is it a rousing image of a worker carrying the banner of justice. No. Is it an image that one would expect a thoughtful revolutionary organization to put on the splash page?

No. It's an image of a cat, dressed up as a thoughtless street punk in the act of vandalizing something while it grins like a malicious malcontent.

I wonder what kind of person they're trying to influence into taking part in their "Unconventional Action". The kind that will cause mindless mayhem?

It's perfect. They will discredit the left, Limbaugh will get to gloat and the American public will have yet another reason to accept martial law tactics and further erosion of their rights.
THX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, Rick, Hello,
The following is cited in the "Resources for organizing against the conventions"
Quote:
Empowered direct action (. . .) actively and creatively searches for actions that prefigure and embody the world we want to create

Everything must be taken with a grain of salt but I believe that "mindless mayhem" is out of the question because it wouldn't prefigure the world we want to create.

I did of course thought about how violence can be discrediting, but I don't see the word "unconventional" as sinister,to me it refers to things that are not conventional, riots and violence in demonstrations are conventional and I understand are not the objective. Unconventional would be, for instance, something like hundreds of people taking their cars and jamming the traffic near the convention, or better thousands of bikers, or maybe hundreds of improvised music shows in the back of pickup trucks in the area, or a rally of naked people, or cinemas issuing free tickets at the time of the convention... anybody in the movie theater business? and better all at the same time.

I really don't know where these people (Unconvetional Action) come from and therefore I can't put my hand in the fire for them, but I believe that actions can be positive if big portions of people who are sick of the current political games would do something to express themselves (besides, of course, not voting for any of the major parties).

Quote:
Empowered direct action doesn't simply reject or restrict certain tactics: it actively and creatively searches for actions that prefigure and embody the world we want to create. It uses symbols skillfully but is more than symbolic: it gets in the way of the operations of oppression and poses confrontational alternatives. Empowered direct action means embracing our radical imagination and claiming the space we need to enact our visions:
http://www.starhawk.org/activism/activism-writings/quebeclessons.html
Hugh Manatee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Operation CHAOS rerun. Reply with quote

Rush Limbaugh was keyword hijacking the CIA's Vietnam-era Gestapo dirty tricks program by urging people to violence at the Dem convention and calling it "Operation Chaos."

So many naive people will think that 40 year-old disruption campaign is something ole Rush cooked up his own self.

Plus there are TWO movie videos to rent on the shelves with "Chaos" in the title right now.

History is the enemy of the state. Otherwise it couldn't be repeated.

foo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities occur to me:

1) Unconventional Action is a government, COINTEL-style front, or
2) The cells will be infiltrated toot sweet.

So screw "organize...group...network..."

People who want to engage in illegal activities would be wise to adopt the X-Files "Trust no one" attitude. If you act alone, then no one can narc you out. Likewise, you can't betray anyone else.

So choose actions that you can do by yourself. I kinda like the grafitti cat on their Web page. Defacing billboards, for instance, lends itself to solitary action. Spray paint "[political party] = WAR" on freeway overpasses.

Take your laptop to various free WiFi areas and set up multiple Web-based email accounts, so the you can register on Web sites to leave comments. Express outrage: "I've heard that some people are planning to engage in such-and-such action at the Convention!" Some might pick up on it as a suggestion, which, of course, was the intent of your post.

Talk radio call-in offers a similar opportunity. Pay-as-you-go cell phones, like Tracfones, can render you anonymous. (Activate from a WiFi location, so that you don't leave an IP that can be traced to you.)

In short, if you're gonna do stuff, be smart about it. Work alone, and stay anonymous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: