FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Great News?? Drink firms tackle child obesity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
kathy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Great News?? Drink firms tackle child obesity Reply with quote

It's interesting that the drinks industry are jumping on the band wagon publicising how they intend to tackle the problem of obesity.

Quote:
Drink firms tackle child obesity BBC News 25 January 2006
Global drinks firms, including Coca-Cola and Cadbury Schweppes, have unveiled a European initiative aimed at tackling the problem of obese children. Unesda, the Union of European Beverages Associations, said it would limit youth advertising, control sales in schools and improve nutritional labels. It also pledged a wide range of drinks, including sugar-free and low-calorie, in container sizes that limit intake. ...Read

Has anyone noticed that since all these "diet" and "low fat" foods have become fashionable people have actually become heavier? So what's in these drinks and food?

Most if not all "sugar free" & "diet" drinks contain either Aspartame or Saccharin and some products, such as the
US Fountain Diet Coke, contains both Aspartame and Saccharin.

Saccharin is banned in Canada, except for use by diabetics, as Saccharin may be a carcinogen.

Saccharin Still Poses Cancer Risk, Scientists Tell Federal Agency

Quote:
Saccharin banned as a food additive
Broadcast March 9, 1977
Saccharin is causing bladder cancer in laboratory rats, and Health and Welfare Canada is imposing a ban on the sugar substitute as a food additive. Consumers can still buy saccharin as a tabletop sweetener, but manufacturers of diet soft drinks are likely to be hit hard by the prohibition.

Quote:
Aspartame has been proven in laboratory studies to eat holes in the brains of laboratory animals, cause mammary gland and testes tumors, lower fetal IQ and adversely affect fetal formation, yet it has no danger warning other than for Phenylketonuria, the inherited inability to process the amino acid
phenylalanine

Quote:
Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

26% for up to 1/2 can each day
30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.

For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.

For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%. Shocked

Quote:
Further Reading:

Sucralose

Sucralose

Splenda’s Dangers: One Man’s Personal Story That You Should Know

Dietitians Say Splenda Is Not the Same as Sugar

No link between sugar and obesity -sugar group

And who produces some of these sweeteners?

Monsanto
:roll:
Toto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These die-t drinks don't even taste very good. Laughing
kathy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toto, long time no hear :-)

Yeah - dunno if you have a drink called Red Bull over there - I guess you do - it smells like cheap chewing gum - there was a can of it here that someone left behind them and I emptied it down the drain - phew what a stink it created - had to open the windows and burn incense.

I see people leaving the stores with three and four bottles of the stuff at a time - dunno how the stomach it.

Kathy
Janama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink the stuff but they are currently pushing Coke Zero here with a big push saying it has NO sugar on it's own special label.

I read the ingredients and it's identical to diet coke :roll:

I reckon we should fire all food technologists. I saw some guacamole in the shop the other day - it boasted 2% Avacado Very Happy
kathy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - the drinks industry are doing what the pharmaceutical industry do - same drug - different name.

I also found this today

Quote:
Buy One Save One, an initiative of Century Bottling Company with the support of The Coca-Cola Company, donates 2 Ushs for every bottle of Coca-Cola sold during the promotion period (1 month) to the UWESO project, a womens AIDS orphans charity. The campaign ran during the month of November. At the half way point a check for Ushs 7,000,000 was presented to the charity.-

7,000,000 Uganda Shillings = $3,862.06 USD
2.00 UGX Uganda Shillings = $0.00110345 USD

While in the North of the World the drink companies have pledged to stop advertising their products to school children, in the South of the world they are upping their pressure on children.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200601250765.html
Toto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a really cute monkey Kathy!!! Laughing Those energy drinks give you a quick boost but then you fall really fast and you feel tired and drained. Thats my expereince anyways.
kathy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh yeah the monkey - she looks like she's on something that's making her hyper Laughing

Not only does the foods with artifical sweetener's make you feel tired and drained but they may lower serotonin levels in the brain. Actually from my experience, (way back when I knew no better) when I used to enjoy a Bacardi and coke, Diet Soda's with artifical sweeteners caused my hands to itch like crazy Embarassed - these days if I drink Bacardi I drink it straight Wink

http://www.newstarget.com/008797.html
Janama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can still get coke made with cane sugar in Australia but I understand US normal coke is made with corn surup, like all their food :roll: , whereas the Mexican version is also made with cane sugar as is highly sought after.

My son was in NY recently and said he actually thought of going to MacDonalds so he could get a low fat, low sugar meal Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: