FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
With so many problems in the world...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion
  ::  Previous topic :: Next topic  
stevensnell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: With so many problems in the world... Reply with quote

Why not completely ignore them and build a moonbase?

Sorry, can't stop, just quickly wanted to post this .

Quote:
New Details of U.S. Moon-Base Project Reveal Nuclear Intentions
The first steps toward building a manned lunar base and eventually sending astronauts to Mars quietly unfolded in recent days, as NASA issued a call to industry and academia for proposals on how to best proceed with those projects. Although President Bush in January revealed his preliminary intentions to jump-start future U.S. space missions, The Peacock Report (TPR) this week obtained planning documents revealing the possibility of constructing nuclear power plants on the moon, where “both human and robotic agents” would operate technology production facilities.

NASA has begun searching for a contractor to first devise a Lunar Base Report, which would provide specifications and graphic renderings of a conceptual lunar base. The creation of what are known as “In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) production facilities,” which would extract mineral and other resources from the moon and Mars to produce materials, also will be addressed via the report. Additionally, it would evaluate the potential role of private, commercial ventures in outer space.

Without fanfare, NASA on Wednesday called for concept papers that would tackle separate but intertwined initiatives aimed at constructing a lunar base as well as landing video-enabled payloads on the moon. NASA wants to hire a contractor to conduct a “External Study” on the ability of industry to carry out the manned race-back-to-space, which hypothetically would begin with what is called the Lunar Robotic Landing Challenge (LRLC). The LRLC would involve private ventures competing to “launch a payload from the surface of the Earth and land it on the surface of the Moon. The payload must perform certain functions and ultimately transmit images back to Earth for proof of the Challenge accomplishment.”

NASA is calling for proposals from contractors to assess the viability of conducting the LRLC. The selected contractor would, in essence, review the capabilities of other contractors expressing interest in in the Challenge.

“One study is envisioned for award under this procurement action,” a NASA document says. “The study will collect industry perspectives on the LRLC and analyze that information. The results will include an assessment of the state of the industry and recommendations regarding the relevance of and implications on the LRLC. The results of this study will be made available to decision-makers.”

Segments of the proposal to carry out the study appear to contradict Bush’s statements on international involvement, as it raise questions about the role of other nations in the space program.

For instance, earlier this year the president said, “We'll invite other nations to share the challenges and opportunities of this new era of discovery. The vision I outline today is a journey, not a race. And I call on other nations to join us on this journey, in the spirit of cooperation and friendship.”

However, the planned LRLC study calls on the contractor to “address the implications of possible decisions in policy issues such as… the inclusion/exclusion of non-U.S. participants.” The study therefore requires the contractor to “identify the pros and cons for possible decisions that may be taken” on issues such as “Participation of non-U.S. entities” and “U.S. vs. foreign launch sites.”

The separate issue of what are technically known as the Mars Scout Space Flight Missions reveals more detail on where the U.S.-global partner delineation may be found. NASA, the documents say, will hold the reins of the “Mars Scout Mission investigations launched by December 31, 2011, that involve complete spaceflight missions.” The “Mars Scout Mission of Opportunity,“ on the other hand, involves “scientific investigations through participation in space missions sponsored by organizations other than the NASA Mars Exploration Program including missions sponsored by non-U.S. organizations.”

The cost cap specifically for the Mars Exploration Program is anticipated to be $475 million, in terms of fiscal year 2006 dollars (also known as “constant year dollars“). That amount is equivalent to approximately $531 million “real year dollars.” The Mission of Opportunity cost cap is anticipated to be $35 million in FY 2006 dollars.

I couldn't resist posting this one via Cryptome and The Peacock Report .

No need to comment, just thought it was another "classic" by the administration.

Suggestions for 'robotic agents' gratefully received Smile

Regards,
johndoe1962

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Business help in China Reply with quote

I am new at this and I'd ask someone to help me with advice. I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year. I would like to know if they are for real and if they are how can I get quality sales reps in China. I didn't list the domain because promoting something is forbiden in most forums. So if you want to help me out please contact me direct at my email:
kimwongshu@yahoo.com
Jerry Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I applied as recruiter manager at JobQueen, they promise to pay $87,000.00/year.

Sorry Johndoe, I believe that position went to Jeff Gannon.
OhZone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wonder how they can be serious about this. It seems that this mining operation would be terribly expensive. :roll:
________
Herbalaire vaporizer

Last edited by OhZone on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
stevensnell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ohzone,

Expensive? yes, Going to spend the money? yes. Going to happen? Nope.

Its probably the stupidest idea NASA has come up with on how to spend their dwindling budget. The largest obstacle in any space mission is weight and attempting to send tons of machinary into space (and supportive robotic agents) would be extremely unlikely with todays rockets.

Not to mention trying to put nuclear material in space is probably a bad idea.

Its also briefly worth putting the NASA pov in here. Congress asks how much cash you need this year and wants evidence of where you'll spend it. You've already spent $800million on spirit and opportunity (each) and Mars is so 2005, why not suggest a moonbase?

Here's a good article from space daily about the costs of space travel in general.

Regards,

p.s - I too earn over $90k a year as a recruiter in China, don't we all?
capt w

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclear power plant on the moon?

no...

how about a wireless transmission of power plant?

"It is technically and economically feasible to provide at least 100,000 GWe of solar electric energy from facilities on the Moon. The Lunar Solar Power (LSP) System can supply to Earth power that is independent of the biosphere and does not introduce CO2, ash, or other material wastes into the biosphere.

Power beams are considered esoteric and a technology of the distant future.

However, Earth-to-Moon power beams of near-commercial intensity are an operational reality. "
http://www.worldenergy.org/wec-geis/publications/default/tech_papers/17th_congress/4_1_33.asp

The Trumpet Satellite is a Fourth-generation United States Air Force signals intelligence satellites equipped with a large deployable mesh antenna; they operate from Molniya-type orbits and are designed to monitor Soviet communications and missile tests. The first were launched in the mid-1990s.

Trumpet operates in a similar highly elliptical 12-hour orbit. Three have been launched since 1994 by Titan-4(01)A Centaur-T
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~daveh/Space/Military/milspace_sigint.html
http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/trumpet.htm

It employs a 100 m diameter reflector antenna. Trumpet is now in geosynchronous orbit. It is operated by the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office. This reflector, only a few tons in mass, has a diameter within a factor of 1 to 3 of that necessary to redirect a power beam to a 1 km diameter or larger rectenna on Earth. Trumpet is reportedly similar in design to antennas planned for the Hughes commercial HS 601 AMPT satellites. Power beams and redirector satellites can minimize the need for long-distance power transmission lines and their associated systems.

Alternatively, a power beam from the Moon can be received by a receiver satellite. The relay satellite then retransmits new beams to several rectennas on Earth.

they might also utilise the energy displaced by the many moonquakes
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/aldrin_moonquakes.html

compiled articles on the wireless transmission of power
and the coming interplanetary economy
http://www.declarepeace.org.uk/captain/murder_inc/site/wt.html

cost?

cost is nothing as money is an illusion
all that really counts is inter-Cartel co-operation
IE collusion / conspiracy

----------------------------------------------------
Boeing satellites will support wireless
----------------------------------------------------
ST. LOUIS, Jan. 12 (UPI) -- The trio of high-powered satellites that will be built by Boeing will support upgraded wireless service in North and South America. Boeing and Mobile Satellite Ventures announced on Wednesday that the geo-mobile satellites slated for launch in 2009 and 2010 would deliver advanced voice and data service managed through handheld devices similar to a cell phone.

11,000-watts

The line-up includes MSV-1 and MSV-2, which will cover North America, Mexico and the Caribbean. MSV-SA will provide service to South America. MSV currently provides similar services to the region via the two MSAT satellites.

The new birds, which account for Boeing's biggest satellite deal in nine years, will have a powerful 11,000-watt capacity supplied by five solar panels. The 22-meter L-band reflector will compliment a 1.5-meter Ku-band antenna. - UPI

75 feet span

Building upon proven and reliable technology from predecessor satellites, including the powerful Boeing 702 infrastructure, the satellites will be among the largest and most powerful commercial satellites ever built. Each satellite's primary antenna will be almost 75 feet across, about twice as large as any previous commercial satellite. In addition to covering the Americas with hundreds of spot beams, the satellites will use MSV's patented ATC technology to deliver service to wireless devices that are virtually identical to cell phone handsets in terms of aesthetics, cost and functionality.

With ATC, the satellites work in tandem with terrestrial based stations that provide coverage and capacity in urban areas where satellite signals are frequently blocked. The contract with Boeing also provides for the delivery of the related ground based beam forming system and other ground design elements, to provide the most advanced beam forming flexibility and interference cancellation unprecedented in commercial satellite systems. These technological advances will allow MSV optimal deployment of its ATC technology and spectrum utilization.

"This agreement for the construction of the state of the art L-band system marks the beginning of an exciting new era for mobile communications in Canada and the United States," said Larry J. Boisvert, Chairman of MSV Canada. "It demonstrates the commitment of MSV and MSV Canada to bring the most advanced wireless services to the regions of the western hemisphere."

The contract provides for the delivery of MSV-1 and MSV-2, which will replace and expand upon the current MSAT satellite system operated by MSV and MSV Canada. Like the MSAT satellites, the MSV-1 and MSV-2 satellites will cover Canada, the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the Caribbean Basin, as well as Mexico. The third satellite, MSV-SA will introduce MSV's advanced communications services into South America.

Boeing will build the spacecraft bus infrastructure, based on the world's most powerful satellite - the Boeing 702. It will supply 11,000 Watts of power through 5-panel solar array wings using highly efficient triple-junction Gallium arsenide cells. Boeing will build upon a quarter-century heritage of integrating and deploying L-band technology. The 22 meter L-band reflector for mobile terminal links will complement a 1.5 meter Ku-band antenna.

The spacecraft will also be equipped with a qualified digital channelizer that maximizes spectrum allocation. With the constellation of MSV-1, MSV-2, and MSV-SA, Boeing will provide the technology that will enable MSV to offer their customers advanced mobile services using small, handheld terminals interoperable with terrestrial terminals. -

http://www.msvlp.com/pr/news_releases_view.cfm?id=80

--------------------------------------------------------
wireless
--------------------------------------------------------
StarSight is a family of products that allow the operation of a Virtual Utility.

It is a system which allows the provision of multiple services including Wireless Internet,
Wireless Street Lighting,
Wireless Electricty,
Wireless Security,
Wireless CCTV,

and Wireless Surveillance.
http://www.starsightproject.com/en/africa/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=52
stevensnell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capt W,

Sorry for the delay writing back,

Nice research as always. I like the LSP idea of using 'other than biospheric' sources of energy.

Its interesting to me the variety of concepts for energy. China has announced its near-completion of the 3 gorges dam, the internet is full of zero-point energy discussion/theory and Georgy Boy is talking about grass power.

In terms of the microwave beam effect, /. have a good discussion thread going about the Airforce's Airborne Laser project in terms of transmitting energy vs loss over distance which you might find interesting.

Looking at the conclusions of the LSP project there are some fundamental hurdles to overcome. Firstly, getting those 'rectanna' dishes and supporting infrastructure to the moon. It seems quite a lot of effort/time/money (they say $20bln over 10yrs) for an 'essentially' unproven technology so they might have investment trouble.

I think what's most annoying/worrying is the 'private' aspect NASA are attaching to all this so that our 'friends' over at NG, Lockheed or whoever could start building on the moon and sectioning off large areas for mineral extraction. I'm not sure about the legality of lunar property development, but I'm assuming its something along the lines of 'first come, first served'.

Personally I see the world arguing over high petrol prices, depleting fossil fuels and the dangers of nuclear power for the next 50yrs in the same way an alcoholic about 'those damn hangovers'.

I haven't really spent much time on the SIGINT side of the force, but its something I've always meant to get around to. I think 'geosynchronous orbits factoring eliptical changes in zzzz zzzzz', sends me to sleep everytime Smile Just remember, they say 4th gen in orbit, that means 5th gen in production, 6th in development.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Next Level Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: